Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

My Top 10 First Person Shooters

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare 2, Most of you might hate me because i mentioned it but let's face it, It's alright .

No, just say NO to any COD title.
Any COD game sucks mp-wise, because pussy snipers and coward campers who refuse to leave the same place.
Not to mention those bs 1-hit kills at close range with a sniper and that IW dosen't do anything in relation to hackers and cheaters.

Cyanosis said:

This is a really bad list for more than five reasons.

How can you say that and then say this?!

1. DOOM 1/2 or just Classic DOOM

1 - DooM
2 - Quake
3 - Heretic
4 - Hexen
5 - Quake 2
6 - STALKER
7 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein
8 - Far Cry 2
9 - Bioshock
10 - Strife

J.B.R said:

Any COD game sucks mp-wise, because pussy snipers and coward campers who refuse to leave the same place.
Not to mention those bs 1-hit kills at close range with a sniper and that IW dosen't do anything in relation to hackers and cheaters.

People always forget about the campaign don't they?

nxGangrel said:

People always forget about the campaign don't they?

If it's that forgettable, there's the real problem!

Well the only CoD I even remotely enjoyed in the past was Finest Hour but since then I've never really cared for CoD.

I recently played my first CoD title (yeah, for more than one reason) which was World at War. Certainly an introduction but other than that and what it had to offer I gotta say I'm not very fond of the formula. I'm not used to not being able to find secret places, not being able to open doors myself, and the start and stop progression. I dig the setpieces at times when they have their moments and I'm going to do Modern Warfare 1 next, but yeah, can see why I stuck with oldschool FPS for so long.

Cyanosis said:

Admittedly ROTT '95 is pretty fun and unique but I think its combat is garbage. The enemy and weapon balance is way off and it's not much better in the remake.

I respect your opinion on Rise of the Triad, and I somewhat agree that the weapon balance could have been better like being allowed to carry as many if not all the missile weapons. However, I had no complaints with the combat as it felt pretty solid and tight in my book, though I can't say the same for the remake as I haven't played it yet, but damn, those playthroughs are really making me eager to give it a try.

10 - BioShock Infinite
9 - Spear of Destiny
8 - Doom 3
7 - Quake
6 - Rise of the Triad'95
5 - Doom II
4 - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
3 - Call of Duty
2 - Doom 64
1 - Ultimate Doom

Doomkid said:

If it's that forgettable, there's the real problem!

It's not a problem. since I pretty much remember most of Call of Duty's (The once I've played) single player. That Soviet campaign!

First places: classic Doom (1, 2, Final), Unreal 1/Gold.
Without a particular order: Heretic, Hexen, Quake 2, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D , Half Life 2.

Cyanosis said:

I'm not used to not being able to find secret places

Coincidentally, World at War is one of the few "Next-Gen" CoDs that do actually feature hidden secret areas with some goodies, as well as a few other creative Easter Eggs. I remember the Death Cards you can find though to be more detrimental than useful, but I think the point of them was to superficially make the game harder as well as sillier and to make Co-Op a bit more insane (One card I believe limits your weapons to pebbles and sticks that annoy the enemy more so than actually damage them).

1. DOOM Classic
2. Quake
3. Strife: Quest for the Sigil
4. Quake III: Arena
5. Unreal Gold
6. Half-Life
7. Hexen
8. Quake II
9. Duke Nuken 3D
10. Serious Sam (FE & SE)

CyberDemonEmpress said:

The hell anyone would rank Doom and Quake anywhere but 1 and 2 on their list? (All due respect.)

What did you expect? This site is called "Doomworld" for a reason.

1 - Doom/Doom II/Final Doom
2 - Duke Nukem 3D
3 - Doom 3
4 - Half-Life 2 (plus episodes)
5 - Half-Life (plus Blue Force and Opposing Shift)
6 - Hexen
7 - Portal/Portal 2 (if they count)

I haven't played many FPSes, so I can only go to 7 I'm afraid. I've yet to play Quake (though I have played some of Quake 2 and it was awesome), Heretic, Hexen 2, Heretic 2, Rise of the Triad (the old one and the new one), Wolf 3D, and some of the newer FPS games.

Voltcom9 said:

2 - Rise of the Triad 1995 (Shareware episode was better than Dark War)

I can agree that The HUNT Begins had a lot of really well-made levels, but of course, Dark War is quite fun to play through. Extreme is a bit of a hit or miss, since many of the levels tend to be unfair and assholish with the traps, enemy placement, and stuff, but definitely worth a shot if you want a hardcore challenge.

1-Classic Doom (1-Final)
2-Quake 1 (don't mention Strogg)
3-Strife (id Tech 1, new way to play)
4-Carnivores Dinosaur Hunter (heh, I have the android version now and love it)
5-Doom 3 (it was good...)
6-Quake 4 (sigh)
7-Halo Combat Evolved (great until I finished it)
8-Doom 64 (rocked, but in #8, cause there's no space)
9-The Chronicles of Riddick (Assault on Dark Athena and Escape from Butcher Bay)
10-Duke Nukem 3D (don't ask)

Am I the only one who's surprised that this hasn't been "blogged" yet?

Not saying it has to be blogged. Just Saying that being "blogged" was likely.

Voltcom9 said:

Extreme ROTT was something I've only seen online and it looked unbelievably merciless and unforgiving. I mean, the first level had monks. I heard it had some neat traps though but had no new game content, which kinda sucks. I think 3drealms or Apogee released it as freeware so I might check it out anyways.

Yeah, EROTT is to Rise of the Triad what Plutonia is to Doom. It's freeware on their master download page, so get it if it interests you.

http://legacy.3drealms.com/downloads.html

I beat ROTT '95 on the hardest difficulty with the weakest character (Lorelei Ni) last year on my laptop, but hadn't ever beaten EROTT. It's definitely rough, and even borderline unfair in places.

Glaice said:

>Minecraft

Er, Minecraft isn't an FPS DMGUY..

Its both FP and S. Sometimes shooting arrows and sometime exploring.

J.B.R said:

Haven't got a chance to play it online recently, but still i enjoyed the SP Campaign .

Glaice said:

Er, Minecraft isn't an FPS

I think It's a FPS, First Person Sandbox, for my own perspective.

First-Person Shooter is a game where shooting is the primary gameplay mechanic. I wouldn't say that any form of shooting/combat immediately turns a game into an FPS. Likewise, I don't call games like Deus Ex or Thief shooters just because you can shoot something in them.

My list is this:

DOOM
Because it has managed to remain fun to play 20 years after its release.

Duke3D
Because it's still one of the best shooters with awesome levels and satisfying combat.

Half-Life
Because it's one of my favourite series all things considered, nicely blending adventure, exploration, story and combat.

RAGE
Because as far as modern shooters go, it offers one of the best combat experiences thanks to its rich toolbox and smooth gameplay.

Actually i really enjoyed Arma 3, Different types of missions and Challenges, riding, diving, Stealth, It's just cool .

My list, not necessarily in order from best to last:

1. DOOM II

2. Hexen

3. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders

4. Ultimate DOOM

5. Duke Nukem 3d: Atomic Edition

6. Quake

7. Quake II

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order

9: Doom 3

10: Left 4 Dead 2

Honorable mentions: Aliens vs. Predator, Left 4 Dead, F.E.A.R, F.E.A.R 3, Unreal Tournament, Wolfenstein 3d, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the Dead Space series (yes, I know they aren't FPS), Crysis: Warhead, Goldeneye 007.