Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nxn

Help put this druggie on the road.

I was supposed to take my permit test today, but couldn't get a ride up to the DMV to take it so it has to wait. I guess I have another day to study, well anyway this question arose and out of all the people I asked, most had a drivers licenses BTW, no one could answer it.

This is a uncontrolled intersection, meaning there are no traffic signs or traffic lights. Both of the drivers arrived at the intersection at pretty much the same time, and both need to make a left turn. If they both make the turn at the same time they'll end up with a head on collision, so one of them has to go first. Who's the lucky fella that goes first is the question without the answer.

You can go at the same time. If your car corners so badly you need the entire intersection to make a left, you need a new car. ;)

Here's one that messed me up the first time I took my driving test: You're on a parkway, three lanes in both directions seperated by an impassable median. You're coming up on an intersection and need to make a U-turn (whippie-youie). Which lane do you start the turn from, and which lane in the opposite direction to you finish the turn in?

Zaldron said:

Actually they shouldn't collide.

If it was a right turn they wouldn't because right turns should be sharp. However left turns are wider and therefore a collision is likely to occur unless BOTH of the drivers drove through the left lane of the street they're wanting to get on (and according to this book I'm reading you should NEVER do that because there might be a car waiting for you to get out of the way right there). Maybe I should change the pic to show how that would work, but it most likely would end up being more confusing.

The rule in the UK is that drivers turn round the rear of the other car, not in front of it, so as I see it, if both pull out at same time and manoeuvre correctly they should miss each other easily.

fodders said:

The rule in the UK is that drivers turn round the rear of the other car, not in front of it, so as I see it, if both pull out at same time and manoeuvre correctly they should miss each other easily.

heh, I better not listen to you too much about driving, next thing you know I'll be driving on the other side of the road. Then again my mom does that constantly and she's still quite alive and not quiting.

IMJack said:

Here's one that messed me up the first time I took my driving test: You're on a parkway, three lanes in both directions seperated by an impassable median. You're coming up on an intersection and need to make a U-turn (whippie-youie). Which lane do you start the turn from, and which lane in the opposite direction to you finish the turn in?

I have no idea(which probably isn't good considering I'm going to be taking my permit test within the next month :/). Answer plz?

In UK you do not do U-turns, in a test you...

Using forward and reverse gears, manoeuvre car to face opposite direction

Although in my day it was called a "3 point turn"

Heh. I've been studying driving all summer long, and I'm still completely lost. At this rate, I'll never get my damned licence.

i should be getting my license in 4 days, instead i won't get it until maybe sometime in september. this due to stupid drivers ed teachers and their inability to schedule correctly.

I always assumed whoever got there first went.. Like a 4 way stop.

Usually during cases questions like this turn up I just keep driving and hope everything turns out alright in the end ;)

Yuch this is a nightmare. I quite a ways past 16 now and still don't drive. However, i did buy a car...hm.

Shit, my sister said the questions were easy! These suck! and what's this about st-st-studying??? Oh well, theres always the bicycle.

At an intersection the car that gets there first should go.
If they get there at the same time if the other guy waves for you to go you go and visa versa.

If you want to learn how not to drive, watch this.

I would have just put in a link to an old thread, but the link there was bad. Some of you might have seen it before, anyway.

Archvile64 said:

I have no idea(which probably isn't good considering I'm going to be taking my permit test within the next month :/). Answer plz?

Start from the furthest inside lane (the left turn lane if there is one), and turn all the way into the furthest OUTSIDE lane. They failed me for this one when I took my first test. Well that, and I botched the parallel parking test. And genuflected at three stop signs. And got "hit" by the "train."

And yes, we practice 3-point turns as well. But it's not terribly practical to try a 3-point on a road with any traffic on it. You never want to go into reverse gear on the road.

If I want to make a U turn on a narrow street (typically a residential area), I'd find an intersection, and make the turn there. I would turn slightly right, into the other street, to give me enough room, then turn the other way, going back into the street you were on, until you're going the other way. I have to do this every day when I park the car on the street at home. There's usually enough room, but sometimes I time it a little wrong, and I come somewhat close to hitting a lightpole.

Use3D said:

Yuch this is a nightmare. I quite a ways past 16 now and still don't drive. However, i did buy a car...hm.

Shit, my sister said the questions were easy! These suck! and what's this about st-st-studying??? Oh well, theres always the bicycle.

I know what you mean I should have taken this test 3 months ago, but look on the bright side, atleast you have enough money to get a car. I'll be driving my moms 92 colt.

Heh, here in Massachusetts you can't get a full license until you're 17. It is truley teh suck :'(

IMJack said:

And genuflected at three stop signs.

You mean like gave the sign of the cross? They can fail you for that?

CyRaptor said:

Heh, here in Massachusetts you can't get a full license until you're 17. It is truley teh suck :'(

A full license? You can't get a basic license in NJ untill you're 18.

In Virginia, it's 16 before you get your license, 15 for a learner's permit.

This one idiot that ran into me had no license (probably revoked), and the passenger had a suspended learner's permit. How in blazes can someone have a suspended learner's permit.

By the way, they're both suing me for 30 thousand total, but they're idiots who didn't even bother to show up for the deposition, and it was their fault anyway, hehehahaaahahaaAAAAAA.

Ichor said:

By the way, they're both suing me for 30 thousand total, but they're idiots who didn't even bother to show up for the deposition, and it was their fault anyway, hehehahaaahahaaAAAAAA.

Counter sue them, 60 thousand, fake some medical condition.

At my test I did pretty much perfect until she told me to park it so we could go in and sign papers. Then I got too excited and forgot how to park and drove onto the lawn.

Meh. I still got the license.

Silverwyvern said:

At my test I did pretty much perfect until she told me to park it so we could go in and sign papers. Then I got too excited and forgot how to park and drove onto the lawn.

Meh. I still got the license.

Thank god I don't thave to take the driving test for atleast another 6 months. I'm ok with driving and all, but parrallel parking isn't something I want to mess with.