Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

[Newbie Mapper WAD!!] NOVA III Sign Up & Planning

Howdy folks, it's time.

Nova III will be - quite obviously - the third instalment of the mapset that sets out to provide new and inexperienced mappers with a strong foundation in which to exercise their mapping skills. This thread is to gauge interest in who may wish to contribute, whether it is to make maps, midis, or even additional resources such as textures, skies, and what-not.

NOVA III will be looking to return to the roots of what motivated the creation of NOVA I: new mappers! NOVA II featured a substantial number of experienced mappers who already had a number of notable releases, which NOVA III will be looking to avoid. If you have contributed a map to either of the two previous NOVA megawads then your maps will not be accepted to this project. If you are looking to make midis or other resources, however, then that's fine. It's just that it is time for you all to fly the nest and get involved in mapping for some of the community's more extravagant projects that are out there waiting to be found and contributed to. I believe in you!

Anyway, for those who are able to contribute and are interested in doing so, I must stress that this is not a dumping ground for people to post links to maps they are either currently working on or have just started as a result of this thread. The full project thread, once it is posted, will be the place for that. Once the resource pack is confirmed then the thread will go up.

Anyway, the details:

Format: Boom (compatibility level -9)
Episode Themes: Episode 1 - Hell; Episode 2 - Jungle/Swamp; Episode 3 - The Moon
We will not be including a typical Map07-style map in this particular mapslot.
(more details to be confirmed as the thread progresses)

Contributors:

Maps:

Townsend
rdwpa
Eris Falling
gaspe
scotty
Albertoni
Vanger_ru
MFG38
blueinferno776
beed28
Tactical Stiffy
NinjaLiquidator
Ven
NuclearPotato
sincity2100
Falziey
Squadallah
DoomLover234
Finakala
TheOrganGrinder
zinkai
Ethanh59
Quineotio
Kurashiki
Shogun
Krenium
Angry Saint
schwerpunk
Protester
Superluigieth1
Outrageous Videos
Hell_Pike

Midis:

an_mutt
AD_79
Eris Falling
tourniquet
Paul D
Jaxxoon R
obake

If you have voiced interest in contributing to mapping or midi making and your name isn't here then send me a message or post in the thread. These lists are merely for me to keep an eye on who wishes to do what, and aren't definitive: you shouldn't feel obliged to make a map or midi if I've put your name down! Likewise, please don't be put off of asking to help out as slots will always be open! At least, until all the map slots are filled. :D

A Bad FAQ:

Q: When will the project thread be posted?

The full project thread will be posted once myself and AD_79 have reached a general consensus with everybody who is interested in contributing to the project in terms of how the mapset will be structured and once all of the base resources have been collected into a NOVA 3 resource file.

Q: I'm interested in contributing to NOVA III but I'm not a newbie. Fuck you!!

That's not a question, but fear not! Whilst NOVA III's main goal is to allow newbie mappers the chance to make great maps, I'm hoping that other members of the community can use the project as a means to experiment with content creation that they are unfamiliar with. Are you a cool and sexy map maker rolling with bitches, Cristal champagne and multiple cacowards, yet have always been interested in making midis for the first time? Welcome!! And so on.

Q: How are you even defining newbie mappers, you fucking clod??

That's a really good question! The general consensus at the end of NOVA II was that a lot of the map slots were take up by people who contributed to the original NOVA project. These folk are lovingly referred to as the 'NOVA Alumni' (barfff) and are a good example of what a newbie mapper is not. At the same time, whilst someone such as esselfortium has never contributed to a NOVA mapset, he is quite clearly not a new mapper.

It is difficult to define what a new mapper is, but for the sake of definition, it is best that you ask yourself if you're comfortable and productive with a map editor. Do your maps get much attention? Are your most recent maps breaking out of the mould of being just a collection of boxes and corridors and doors? If your answers to these questions are "nope", and you're looking for a place to improve, then hey, welcome aboard. I am primarily focusing on 'newbie' mappers based on their experience as a doom mapper, and less so on their registration date or the date they posted their first file to /idgames.

Q: I have no interest in a texture set or anything, can I just make maps??

Yes! The textures will primarily be there to get the creative juices flowing, and to try and establish some element of consistency between maps. Just please wait until the full project thread is up and running, and then we can play your map!!

So what else are you looking for, besides mappers?

Like I discussed earlier, we will also be encouraging folks to make music and textures! The maps that will be contributed to NOVA III will no doubt require some playtesting and quality assurance, and that will be open to basically anybody and everybody. The ultimate goal of the mapset is to create good maps, with the consideration and conservation of raw new mapper energy and experimentation being a main priority.

Q: Hey, I have this map layout from 2007 when I was a ne-

Interested in attempting to map for this.
Can also contribute MIDIs, but I'm not exactly new in that if it matters, even if I'm still an unknown in that field :P

I didn't really understand from the FAQ, can I for example, make a map for it if I was interested? Just to point out, i'm not rolling with any bitches at the moment.

I can contribute my DeHackEd skills if you guys want a custom boss again. Just let me know who wants to do MAP30 and I can discuss ideas with them when things start rolling.

SFoZ911 said:

i'm not rolling with any bitches at the moment.

That's unfortunate :D
As far as i understand you can't make maps but textures and midi's

Was always interested in creating some music so i guess i take the oportunity and might try something in the midi department.

Making a new map? A chance to improve my mapping? Count me in :)

SFoZ911 said:

I didn't really understand from the FAQ, can I for example, make a map for it if I was interested? Just to point out, i'm not rolling with any bitches at the moment.

You wouldn't be able to contribute a map given your frankly very cool submission to NOVA II. What would be the point, if you're already doing well in your mapping? :V

You are more than welcome to keep an eye on things here, though, in case a mapper is in need of having something tested or added to that you feel you can really enrich the quality of.

EDIT: everyone else who has voiced interest, welcome!

I'd be very interested, if you guys don't plan on having a small deadline. I'm a bit of a busy person, and having a week to make a map instead of a pair of months would be a deal-breaker.

As for themes, there's the classic "islands floating in the middle of space" that Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament so much abused.
If you're going on a less overdone route but with some existing material, there's "frozen hell" and "swamp".

Albertoni said:

I'd be very interested, if you guys don't plan on having a small deadline. I'm a bit of a busy person, and having a week to make a map instead of a pair of months would be a deal-breaker.

This aint no xxin24 or whatever, you should have plenty enough time to work on a map. :>

Albertoni said:

As for themes, there's the classic "islands floating in the middle of space" that Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament so much abused.
If you're going on a less overdone route but with some existing material, there's "frozen hell" and "swamp".

Mmm, I quite like "swamp" as a theme, although it is perhaps a tad restrictive? I was considering "Plutonia-Congo" recently as an episode, and I think "Swamp" can be incorporated into that quite nicely.

Frozen Hell I'm not entirely sure about, partly because it can very easily slip into 'ugly' kinds of visuals, and partly because I can't think of much that can be done to keep it 'Hell' whilst enforcing the uniqueness of being frozen over. I'm open to being persuaded, though!

EDIT: likewise, I'm not sure if "islands in a void" is a theme that can be stretched to fill out most of an episode in a satisfying manner. :v

I'd like it if there were Ultimate Doom textures thrown in the official resource pack for this project, if it ever exists that is.

an_mutt said:

Mmm, I quite like "swamp" as a theme, although it is restrictive. I was considering "Plutonia-Congo" recently as an episode, and I think "Swamp" can be incorporated into that, perhaps?

Frozen Hell I'm not entirely sure about, partly because it can very easily slip into 'ugly' kinds of visuals, and partly because I can't think of much that can be done to keep it 'Hell' whilst enforcing the uniqueness of being frozen over. I'm open to being persuaded, though!

Hmm, yeah, jungle / rainforest is a theme that isn't seen enough.

As for frozen hell, I admit it's a risky thing. Most newbie hell maps aren't too good from what I've seen, as they tend to go too wild... And this would be the same, but white and blue instead of black and red. So yeah. Nevermind, let me save the idea I had to my next solo project. :)

rdwpa said:

What's the intended format?

I'm fond of multistage fights with changing geometry, so I have a big preference for Boom.

I'm going to set it as being for Boom for now, considering I'm partial towards it being for Boom simply because it can offer a little more than regular limit-removing formats can. The previous two NOVA sets were both limit-removing, though, so we would be breaking a trend by moving to a different format!

I'd like to contribute if possible. I contributed marginally to NOVA with 2 maps (well one map was just a rework of the other) and 3 midis (and 2 midis I found but did not create).

Cos aside from that I've done nothing at all to contirbute to this community

Eh, might be about time I finally contribute a map into a community project (and don't scrap it for once). Sign me up.

Sweet! Second wind here I come!

I was mapping for nova2 and a lot of real life problems killed all my will power to finish the maps I started before. Can I jump aboard?

I'll reserve for the time being. As long as any texture pack has no suggestive content in it.

I don't know where I stand in terms of mapping coolguy, but I can at least make textures if needed. MIDI is eeeeeh, here's my previous repertoire. If you think that I'm redeemable, well I'll see what I can do.

Godspeed fellow newbies; remember that we were all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at some point. Hell, some of us still are! If I must take umbrage with something regarding NOVA III's direction, it's this:

an_mutt said:

In regards to collaborations [...]

Collaborations are cool, but are an extremely poor method of showcasing a new mapper's style. It can be an absolutely interesting way to learn the ropes but the resulting product can still retain the "veteran" mapper's touch, which is something I think NOVA can definitely do without. As awesome as it is to have an opportunity to work on a map with some of the folks around here, I think it's much better if they provide pointers rather than being a corporeal part of the design process. Hopefully you'll get enough new people signing on that you won't even need to resort to this anyway.

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't know where I stand in terms of mapping coolguy, but I can at least make textures if needed. MIDI is eeeeeh, here's my previous repertoire. If you think that I'm redeemable, well I'll see what I can do.

"A" is the best thing I've heard all day.