• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve's Must Play Wads, for Newbs

Heh, you know I'm trying to slog through the archives too Scuba. :D

Combustable said:

stupid XP... Want COD...

Out of interest, How's a fish going to improve your computer?

Scuba Steve said:

EDGE - A port that was built with a very open ended scripting in mind. Not the most gorgeous, but powerful.

You gotta like the man.

DarkknightXC said:

Out of interest, How's a fish going to improve your computer?

... caverns of darkness... PAY ATTENTION MAN! and don't double post, it makes Cyb start murdering

btw scuba, where is Marine Assault, damnit

DaniJ said:

Doom Raider: Where you run around in an ancient temple avoiding annoying traps, solving puzzles and running away from boulders.

Indiana Jones Doom: Where you run around in an ancient temple avoiding annoying traps, solving puzzles and running away from boulders.

Exactly. And Tomb Raider Doom would get rid of the boulders and a lot of the puzzles, add wild dogs, akimbo pistols, stupid underwater sections, etc :P.

Scuba steve's list is very personal and reflect only "his" own taste. It's very short and there are MUCH more "must play wads". Basically almost everything over 4 stars in the idgames archive.
And all classic megawads will provide long hours of fun in solo and/or coop : the MM serie, the HR serie, Requiem, Alien Vendetta, the Rebirth, Real World and many more I forgot.

Usually Opulent SDA's is a good place to spot good and fun wads (since players spent time recording demos for them :).

i cant believe he didnt include hell revealed2 or alien vandetta

(though i thought DNWAII had the best music... at least the first level did)

*edit* i didnt see the above most (and i mean right above)

Personally, I'd be inclined to direct a newcomer towards Null Space or Decade, rather than Doom Raider. But thanks for the mention Steve :)

where's memento mori 1 and 2, deus vult, and of course, my personal favorite:

eternal doom 3?

deldelda said:

where's memento mori 1 and 2, deus vult, and of course, my personal favorite:

eternal doom 3?

Not on my list.

Russell_P said:

Personally, I'd be inclined to direct a newcomer towards Null Space or Decade, rather than Doom Raider.

Decade is goodness.

A very good list for those who don't like DOOM but would like to check out what you can do with its resources and modified engines. I suppose.

Exactly. There are enough threads telling people "Play AV, HR, MM, STRAIN, DV..." I wanted a list for the casual person who want's to see what doom is capable of, and what people's imaginations can pull out of the dated engine. Something other than the standard 32 megawad that, to me, is almost no different than any other large mapset... give or take 1000 sectors.

I've said it before, but I think Doom presents a unique spin on the mod development community. With the advent of Zdoom and other ports, Doom is capable of creating things almost on par with the original Halflife... not visually of course, but gameplay wise, the gates are open to some of the most wild imaginations you can dream up. With a VERY (maybe THE) most intuitive and easy to learn mapping curve, and sprites letting ANYONE make their own full monster replacements easily (without having a degree in modeling and having worked for Pixar)... a very entertaining project can be made with minimal work.

Imagine if you will, Action Doom for Quake 3. It would have taken YEARS to make... and honestly, probably would not have been that much more amazing (save graphically of course). I think the whole "32 level megawad" is a poor use for the doom engine today. People should be thinking up the most fantastic ideas and stretching the limits beyond what people think is possible with a game like this. Had I all the time in the world under my belt, I would make Co-Op zombie Wads where you build fortifications and hold off zombie attacks... a comic book themed project, where you learn you powers as the story advances, maybe it could be cell shaded... I might even try to make an engaging Pirate project where you chart a ship and fire canons and fight with swords on the high seas.

With a very creative team, so many of these ideas could be taken and built into projects that rival anyhting made with new engines. Only until about this year have I started seeing projects that truly start expanding on what could truly... and should... be done with the doom engine.

Imp said:

Hey at least he tried.

Yes, it was a little harsh... but it's the truth. As illustrated by deathbringer's "out of my ass" project. While OOMA was not verry good... it didn't try to be, it was just an example of how D:RE SHOULD have been. D:RE did everything wrong in terms of development. You never once felt like you were a Baron of Hell... and OOMA, a half assed 2 day prject, captured that feel better. Could Rampage Edition been fun? Absolutely, I have yet to truly play a "play as the monster" wad that was good, but the potential is there.

NiGHTMARE said:

You do realize that a wad doesn't have to have 32 levels to be classified as a megawad, right? IIRC 11 levels is enough.

Sorry for the bump ;)

Well, I thought MEGAWAD was the term for a full level replacement, and anything less was considered a mere LEVELSET... My bad.

Definitions vary. I think the one Ty uses for the archive is 15 or more. For me, it needs to replace every level to be a true megawad (as a necessary and sufficient condition).

myk said:
A very good list for those who don't like DOOM but would like to check out what you can do with its resources and modified engines. I suppose.

A slight overstatement, but I think it sums it up quite nicely.

But according to your definition, a ZDoom wad with 50 levels all called ZMPxx rather than MAPxx wouldn't be a megawad... :P

What about making a doomworld page with the top200 (+/-?) of the idgames wad ? (using doomwworld.com/idgames 0-5 stars ranking)

many wads got a good ranking... being able to sort them by rate would be cool. It would also make the wrongly ranked ones go down and up easier. (if the author of a lousy unranked wad gives it a 5, other people can bring it down... )

It would also mean a helluva lot of work, particularly as more votes keep comin in that would muck up the order.

Hey Scuba Steve, I've been away from the doom community for the last few years. Outside of Pirates Doom, what other titles would you recommend that really twist and push presentation in new ways? I love TCs or anything with substantial graphical changes. Thanks!

CWolfRu said:

... What have you done...

Considering this thread was created to prepare for the influx of people that would join Doomworld after Doom 3's release; perhaps it is poignant that this thread was resurrected a mere month or two ahead of the next Doom game?

I actually thought this was talking about Doom 4 until doom 3 was expressly mentioned..and then I checked the dates.

This is still a great list though, and will be equally relevant to anyone incoming who needs to get their bearings.

Something like this (or even this) should be pinned

Yeah, this is a solid (and very well known by most) list. I'm just here for the 11 year necrobump though, you don't see those every day! I wonder what happened to some of those users who haven't posted in yonks. Hopefully they just grew up, unlike all of us.

Scuba should make an updated thread for the influx of "New Doomers" when Doom 4 hits shelves in 2016.