Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fen boi

Doom2.exe thing limit

Can anyone tell me the limit for things (monsters etc)in Doom2.exe?. Before they start blinking in a out of existance.

Fredrik does not lie, but if you have 64 (or a few more) sprites on the screen you won't notice many missing ones, but if there's like 100 or more the flickering will become more obvious. To gauge the actual effects just try maps with lots of sprites. Play around in Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta (map24 and map32 suffer greatly in AV), you'll then be able to notice how much is too much.

I beleive its on screen at once.

Heh, the state of education today :)

"it's p0rn not pr0n. i know it's brittish but this is america." -- Railgunner

Capital B for a country etc, remove one of the t's

I believe (and could be wrong) that it is 64 things in one sector. More than that and they blink out. Although 64 on screen makes sense too.

Whatever, I had a level that had at its heart a very long corridor made from one sector. Initially it was done as an experiment but it turned into a level (level 13 in my NJZdoom2001 set). I noticed, when it was still a level for doom2.exe that if I played on most difficulty levels it was fine, but when I played on UV, monsters in the corridor used to blink in and out of visibility, but I had no idea what caused it at the time. I think the "blinking" could happen when there were just a few monsters on screen, which supports the "per sector" rather than the "on screen" argument.

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/njzd2001.zip

If it's 64 per sector, then that would explain why I've seen rooms divided into several sectors with the same properties for no apparent reason in certain monster-filled levels.

I think it is 64 per sector, too. When I first started making maps, I knew nothing about this limit, so I made a large open area, put a pathway down the middle (no height changes), and stuck a torch on either side going all the way down the pathway. I had not put any monsters in the map yet. As I was testing it, the oddest thing happened. As I walked on the path, I noticed that the torches on one side of the pathway were there, but the ones on the other side were not. I crossed over the path, and the torches on the other side appeared all at once, but at the same time, the ones on the first side vanished all at once. I went back and forth, and they just blinked in and out as I crossed the path. So, I just removed them altogether.

It does it in Wolfenstein as well. (if you go to the secret level in episode 4, hide in the big room full of ammo and fire your gun. Also happens in E4L8 and can happen in E6L9 if you let everyone come to you)

That's why I always score less in episode 4 than any other. (cos I can't kill tons of officers to bump up the score past episode 3's highest possible)

I'm not sure how Wolfenstein works (I presume it's linedef/sector based, though) so I couldn't say if it was too many things in a sector or the screen. But the limit is a lot less in Wolfenstein, as I could only kill about 16 or so officers before they go invisible.

Well, how is it 64 per sector? I remember playing or watching demos on map32 of AV and the cyberdemos on the bridges disappeared a lot... the cybies are standing each alone on a bridge... I assume the bridge is 1 sector (with 1 sprite). Maybe the way sectors are set affects this, but if so it's more complex than simply how many sprites there is on each sector.

Ultimate DooMer said:

I'm not sure how Wolfenstein works (I presume it's linedef/sector based, though)

not even close.

and in doom, it's 64 things on the screen. small numbers above that will start to disappear randomly. large numbers above that will dissappear randomly and cause huge slowdowns.