Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Steam is screwed up !

Yeah, I've been following this the last couple hours. I'm not overly concerned personally as I don't have any credit card accounts linked to it, but this is a pretty serious situation. I hope they can resolve it soon.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I was very lucky that i logged out of it a few minutes before this mess started .

Doesn't matter. Your info is still stored on a server.

AD_79 said:

Doesn't matter. Your info is still stored on a server.

Yes it matters, turns out that every user logged in will get his Private infos such as credit card infos showed up to others After doing any action (As reported by some who were still logged in).

Doom Dude said:

Hrrrr, I redeemed a Steam card about 6 hours ago...

You're safe i guess, it was hacked about 40 mns ago .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You're safe i guess, it was hacked about 40 mns ago .

Nothing was hacked; this is a security issue with Steam's servers. I suspect the extra traffic due to all the Christmas day activations of new games probably pushed it over the edge.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018481/software/psa-steam-having-serious-issues-with-account-security-at-the-moment.html

and

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/458604254431478327/

Some frequently asked questions:
- No, Steam is not hacked

Reports say it is an overzealous cache server.

Provided the cache server is implemented correctly and does not have alternative rules, they would really just have to set the "Do Not Cache" flag in the HTTP headers for user specific pages.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Yes it matters, turns out that every user logged in will get his Private infos such as credit card infos showed up to others After doing any action (As reported by some who were still logged in).

When a cache server goes into meltdown, I doubt it's going to discriminate between online users and those who have logged off when serving random data.

J.B.R said:

I'm glad i don't use services like these, either way GOG is better.

GOG have the occasional sale meltdown, but I haven't heard of any account details being leaked.

GreyGhost said:

GOG have the occasional sale meltdown, but I haven't heard of any account details being leaked.

No sensitive details were leaked, as per the usual requirements of censored credit card numbers and other details. There was also no misuses of other peoples accounts (despite the odd report) as, due to it being a cache issue, it was purely cosmetic. You otherwise could only act on your own account.

Thus, trying to buy multiple copies of all the train simulator DLC would only take your money and put it on your own account, as you were still physically logged in as you.

GhostlyDeath said:

Reports say it is an overzealous cache server.

Provided the cache server is implemented correctly and does not have alternative rules, they would really just have to set the "Do Not Cache" flag in the HTTP headers for user specific pages.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Even if this thing doesn't been so dangerous, for security i've get offline from my Steam (not overly used) account...