Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Cut Throat (Single Vanilla Map)

Hey there Doomers, just finished up a fully vanilla compatible map called Cut Throat. This wad was crafted for the Ty memorial megawad, but I want to release it on it's own to get some extra feedback. Screenshots below:

And the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xk5zcbvcpk16ydh/cuthroat.wad

Let me know any comments or criticisms you might have, and most importantly, enjoy it!

Doomkid said:

This wad was crafted for the Ty memorial megawad,

So does it mean it's for TNT IWAD, or Doom2 IWAD?

"Fun map" is all I have to say. Lot of archies, but lot of health and ammo, so it doesnt matter. Cyberdemon after red door is a bitch. I just ran through and escaped him :D

I agree with NinjaLiquidator, the cyberdemon was a rather tiresome exercise (I killed him, not run from him). The starting rooms could use more ammo, I run out two times and lost a lot of health running through hitscanners to grab more. Also, the invulnerability sphere cannot be obtained in Zdoom, the teleport linedef is too close to the wall/tech panel.

Apart from that, it's a pretty good map!

@Scifista, it will run in Doom2, though I tried to go for a more TNT-style mapping approach.

I appreciate the comments fellas, will get that teleporter fixed and might save the Cyberdemon for multiplayer only. Thanks!

I think the SSG is too well hidden. Without it killing the groups of bigger monsters takes forever. I don't really mind it being a secret, but you can't even see that it's in this secret, so I didn't bother trying to access it.

Frantic map, all those traps are great and I like the deathmatch theme you've got here, I agree that the cyber is boringly placed.
There's also too much armor and health, some may disagree about the health.

@boris There are enough cells and rockets to keep the gameplay flowing quick.

Gave it a quick run on HMP. Architecturally nice job, i did get a 'TNT' feeling from the areas in this map although the difficulty is ramped up a lot. The switch cube room was very fun too. I actually thought the SSG was really nicely placed in this map.

Ammo was ok but some extra rockets might have helped keep the action quick (if that is what you are going for). Must admit i didn't like the positioning of the BFG access switch given that you had to wait for the room to clear first. I (personally) would have had a teleporter there that takes you straight up to the BFG, instead of trying to get to the switch then trying to run back past everything, but that is just my opinion of course.

Bug note; the 'Door1' texture door's tracks in the BFG room were only set as unpegged on one side.

Thanks a million to everyone for the helpful comments and feedback.

I've replaced the annoying Cyberdemon with a small group of HK's instead, a much less tedious battle. The hidden teleporter in the computer room now works in all source ports and is less cryptic, and no powerups can be SR50 "bumped" to get them early anymore. I've also added a few small secrets and windows and such so the place feels a little more whole.

I also made the SSG secret just a little more tantalizing, I can definitely see how a player could just walk right past it without even realizing there's any secret to be had.

I left most of the health and armor in place, I don't want this map to be too difficult. I've also thoroughly implemented difficulty settings, and added plenty of baddies for multiplayer-only as well.

Thanks again all, this should be about ready for the Ty memorial megawad now :)

Download update: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xk5zcbvcpk16ydh/cuthroat.wad

Fda, recorded with PRBoom+, cl2.

A really cool map. I didn't find the SSG, which was a drawback in all those fights in closed spaces. I think it might be ok, but there's really the need of some more cells/rockets, killing all those mid-tier monsters started to get tiring (especially when you reach the BFG area).

I'm playing without sound...so maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get to any of the keys. I can wipe out all the enemies in the easily accessible areas at first, but can't advance past that. It looks like there's an elevator behind where you start that I can't seem to trigger. Outside of that, it looks great, absolutely looks like something that could easily have been in TNT. I liked the layout of the places I can get to so far....and in my limited experience I haven't had any ammo issues yet.

Edit: maybe it's a gzdoom thing?

volumetricsteve said:

I'm playing without sound...so maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get to any of the keys. I can wipe out all the enemies in the easily accessible areas at first, but can't advance past that. It looks like there's an elevator behind where you start that I can't seem to trigger. Outside of that, it looks great, absolutely looks like something that could easily have been in TNT. I liked the layout of the places I can get to so far....and in my limited experience I haven't had any ammo issues yet.

Edit: maybe it's a gzdoom thing?

It's a bit of a tricky layout - From where you start, go through the door on your left, and then go through the next door on your left that leads downstairs with 3 shotgun guys. Downstairs you'll be in a computer room, when you find the archvile he's guarding a lift which gives you the yellow key. Hope that helps, and thanks a ton for commenting :)

FDA. Thoughts: Since the yellow key is mandatory, the path to it shouldn't be that cryptic, and the sector where it is shouldn't be flagged as secret. Half of the fights were plain camp-y / doorfights, so you'd rebalance those (the other half was OK up to decent, I liked the hectic Archvile encounters).

Nice map, I enjoyed it very much. Maybe I should have posted it here, but I went and posted some feedback to this map in the Ty thread.

Doomkid said:

It's a bit of a tricky layout - From where you start, go through the door on your left, and then go through the next door on your left that leads downstairs with 3 shotgun guys. Downstairs you'll be in a computer room, when you find the archvile he's guarding a lift which gives you the yellow key. Hope that helps, and thanks a ton for commenting :)

I could have sworn I did all that...maybe i'm not hitting a certain trigger?

How is it supposed to play out...is the lift he's guarding ready to be used or does it come down after something has happened?

I could see an elevator line in the automap where you described it, but I killed everyone and I couldn't get it to open up.

Also, you're welcome and I'm really looking forward to getting through the rest of it :)

Edit:

Just tried again, no luck. I did iddqd and took around, I can see where the lift is supposed to be but it's always closed off to me.

There are two lifts in that small room. The one you need to use is the one that's a 64 unit wide Support3 texture.

Chris Hansen said:

There are two lifts in that small room. The one you need to use is the one that's a 64 unit wide Support3 texture.

I'll have to try on a different engine later...something seems really wrong. I'm getting the impression the lift is just there waiting to be used. Between killing off all the enemies and trying to run up to the elevator and hitting 'use' is anything else meant to trigger it?

I just tried with these sourceports and the lift works in all of them:

- prboom+
- zdoom
- gzdoom
- zandronum

And just to be on the safe side: We're talking about this lift, right? :)

I will put a lit switch texture on that lift so this doesn't happen to anyone else! I didn't realize just how dark it was, but it really is easy to skip in hindsight. That will be fixed before this gets compiled with the other maps.

That'd certainly help, for me the texture blends in really well, especially with my video settings the way they were, I would never have seen it had it not been for the screenshot Hansen posted.

I'll have to do more digging on this, but I think it's a little strange that going up that elevator to get the yellow key gets you a "secret revealed" thingy. Is the yellow key meant to be a secret?

I did a frenzied play through last night, IDKFA'ing my way through with the bfg just to get a sense of the rest of the level. I like what I see, it's inventive. It's also a little ammo constrained which puts more pressure on the player, that can be interesting.

The use of single-rocket pickups always kinda confused me...they allow for a kind of granularity I'm not sure lends a lot to gameplay, but I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. Some rockets are always better than no rockets, regardless.

I vaguely recall I found another secret area that seemed to me is was just another required part of the map, so it's 'secret' status confused me, but I'll have to go through again and get screenshots.

Running through in a panic....I also don't think I could find the blue key anywhere, if I picked it up it was completely by mistake. IDKFA was my guide again seeing me through. I need to do a real, sit down, no cheat play through...but I don't recall seeing it anywhere. Is it in a large blue room full of 'u' shaped computer structures? It felt like it should be there.

Anyway, very interesting level, I like the flow and the mix. This level does have a great blend of enemies in tight spaces and wide spaces, which kept combat fun even when I was just bfg'ing my way through.