Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

2015 Christmas Thread

Has anyone else reached that age where they feel uncomfortable at accepting gifts, and don't really participate much in Christmas at all? I mean, I love seeing my family and friends over the holidays, but I can no longer find pleasure in receiving material items, it's a weird thing and I think we're supposed to grow out of it.

Hmm...

Got a brand new winter jacket, a box of Bassett's Winegums, some Marzipan, a headlight and a precision screwdriver set.
Then an awesome meal, with everything i like in it.

All this along with a trip to the beach apartment for a week or so, which is quite nice, since even the simplest of beaches here in Brazil are amazing and offer quite the view.

I think i ate a whole turkey alone, but not a lot of booze since i'm a wet noodle for alcohol.

And since i'm 100% sure i don't have anything better to do tonight, i'll link to some pictures of my gifts:

Spoiler

Nevermind the other random crap, i was just too lazy to bring myself into dragging those elsewhere.

Got some new headphones and a Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon blanket. Also some shelled hazelnuts because they're freaking delicious.

GoatLord said:

Has anyone else reached that age where they feel uncomfortable at accepting gifts, and don't really participate much in Christmas at all? I mean, I love seeing my family and friends over the holidays, but I can no longer find pleasure in receiving material items, it's a weird thing and I think we're supposed to grow out of it.

I've felt the same way since my mid-teens, but my family has never been big on gifts. My sister and I have never done an exchange, also no big exchanges among friends. My old man knew Christians shouldn't celebrate corporate materialism, and my mother has scaled back. So other than getting the latest SNES/PS1 games as a kid, I've never had much of a list, but that's fine. These days when I get invited to some Christmas gathering I just do some baking. Being among family and friends is what today is about.

Most of my family actually made each other gifts, and then we always have white elephants just to see what kind of junk we can scrub up to pass along and laugh about. For example, someone gave away a computer chair, and my dad wrapped up an outdated lighting catalog.

GoatLord said:

It's essentially all point-of-view. We're not supposed to outgrow anything.

Except clothes, maybe.

Speaking of clothes... I got an official Kansas City Royals 2015 World Series Champs hoodie sweatshirt, and two pairs of shirts; one of them is Garfield, the other one... Well, let's just say my brother is awesome. :D

I also got two shirts, a sweater appropriate for someone twice my age, and some gift cards.

Socks, slippers, kitchen cloths, and a power bar. Also lasagna.

But the best thing I got was my SSD back. It crashed on Christmas morning, and I assumed the worst. Booted it up last night after the festivities, and lo! It lives again! Truly, a Christmas miracle.

.A Darth Vader Metal T-Shirt
.Ron Perlmans Book "Easy Street"
.PS4 with CoD Black Ops 3 and GTA 5
.Infected Mushrooms new album "Converting Vegetarians II"
.£20
.Booze and food
.And this bad boy

Hope everyone had a great christmas :D

My family is mostly adults at this point, so we decided to have a "Second Thanksgiving" type thing instead of exchanging gifts. When my wife and I have kids well probably get into the spirit of Christmas because its so magical for young children. But its just cumbersome when were all a bunch of adults who know the monetary value of everything and half of us are going through tough times. Everyone usually resorts to winter clothing and gift cards which is basically like telling other people how to spend their money.

We had a nice healthy stress-free Christmas this year.

I got a limited edition red vinyl of William Shatner's 'The Transformed Man' and an original vinyl of God Bless Tiny Tim.

From Mom: Hand saw and a very nice ice scraper

From Brother: 5th Edition of the Ammo Encylopedia, and a TootsieToy Dakota pump capgun. I was grinning like an idiot when I opened that one.

Dad: 24" Accu Choke barrel for my Mossberg 500, with several chokes.

All useful things. Except the Dakota, that's simply for nostalgia, feels nice owning a piece of history.

GoatLord said:

Don't think it's got anything to do with age, but yea, it's weird receiving gifts when I gave nothing. But I think it would be very impolite not to accept them. The gifts may be material, but the time and effort to find and get them is something else...

I think the last time I got something I wanted for Christmas was before zits and pubes. I've pretty much given up on it.

It's like... they don't even go for the obvious. My mom was the biggest Beatles fan in the world. What did we get her every year? That's right, BEATLES STUFF. Likewise, everybody knows I'm the biggest Genesis fan in the world. What do I keep getting...? Pink Floyd shirts.

My birthday is on the 22nd so I'll list both days here

- Thermal socks and underwear
- Star Wars T-shirt, drinking glasses and poster
- Crockpot w/ recipe book
- Logitech joystick
- Throw rug
- $400 cash
- Starbucks coffee with mug
- $25 Longhorn giftcard (yankee swap)
- Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Made out pretty damn good

Bunch of star wars and jurassic world stuff, bunch of gift cards, and a shiny new Springfield GI milspec 1911.

Chocolate
Money
Booze
Sweater

mrthejoshmon said:

Well I am poor as fuck so I just spent an entire year saving for the Xbox One, finally get it and the HDMI input on the actual console is fucked up to the point where it is quite litterally unusable making it a £220 brick.

Happy Holidays.

Have you tried live chat with a Xbox support agent about it yet? If you haven't yet it's always worth a try.

A got chocolates, a G-Shock digital watch, a silver ring with an onyx stone, a wireless mouse which looks like a car, a torch, a book titled "Knights & The Golden Age of Chivalry", and $100 money.