Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkwisgaarScampini

Uploading my maps

I'm new to the forums, and rather new to map building as well. I would like to know where i could upload my wads to receive some feedback? would I post them here on the forums? I have quite a few maps that I'm pretty fond of and would like to get some critique on them...
thanks

If you feel the need to receive criticism and still haven't finish your wad, I suggest you open a new thread in Wads & Mods so you can get some feedback.

If you feel like your wad is ready to upload, go ahead and upload it to idgames (here's how to do it) so people can comment on the finished work.

Good luck.

Never include the commercially released iWads (Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, TNT.wad, Plutonia.wad) in either the download or the wad itself. Don't even edit your own copy of any of the iWads.

The first statement is because of copyright law and its interpretation as it applies to Doom and pWads.

The second is because it's just about the worst idea you can ever have, for too many reasons to mention.

Assume that players have access to the Doom 2 iWad (or other iWad of your choice). If the player doesn't have it, too bad for them, they need to buy it. In your download file you should include the wad, a text file (see others' examples) and any additional files required, such as resource (texture/sprite/custom HUD) packs and on rare occasions I have even seen specific versions of source ports (what you play Doom through; the engine. Such as PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom, or zDoom) included in the file as well. Though this is generally only if your map requires a very specific dev build of a source port.

As a general rule of thumb, you should try to keep the download's size down as low as you can, so any extra bs like "the most current version of zDoom" or "really sweet copyrighted mp3 files" should be left out.

TBH, before you upload your wad to Idgames, I'd strongly suggest that you upload your wad to Dropbox or Mediafire, then make a thread about that said wad of yours to get feedback on it.

Also don't upload your wads to idgames till you make sure they're fully finished and out of bugs , Use other wad hosting sites such as Best-ever.org ... etc