Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koff3Katt

Bobby Prince on DOOM 2016 music?

Anyone believe that Bobby should handle the score for the new DOOM? I know it's probably too late since the game is nearing its release date in spring 2016 soon, but does anyone feel that he should\should have make\made the new DOOM's soundtrack?

Tetzlaff said:

Never! Do you remember the title song he made for Doom 3? Funny little Rock tunes wouldn't fit the style of the new game.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38puU0CbwPs

I like it but it fits neither Doom 3 or 4 and not because Doom 3 and 4 are good Doom games. It would sound so strange in the new one.

I would love to see music similar to d_e1m3, it adds this feeling of mystery and suspense.

But that'll never happen. They just move on with who ever is next in line in Doom's legacy.

Unfortunaly, the BP style doesn't fit with the "cinematographic" style of modern games. But worked great in Wrack.

eww... I'm glad to not hear any orchestral crap. I'm liking the current music anyway. For now.

I always felt the Harkonnen music in Battle For Dune -- composed by David Arkenstone -- would fit quite nicely for a modern Doom game.

Bobby's theme for Doom 3 is outdated and way too major key, sure, but it's a good piece of music, even if it is inappropriate. What they actually went with was garbage, it sounded like something a beginner guitarist who's into aggro rock would fart out while mildly buzzed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Trent Reznor should do the soundtrack. I prefer how Reznor did the soundtrack to quake over what what prince did in any of the games he worked on.

EDIT: Although Sonic Mayhem was equally as good as well, they should bring HIM back if they're going for a metal approach.

nxGangrel said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Trent Reznor should do the soundtrack.

^ Quoted for truth. Trent Reznor would kick ass doing this (with textures and soundscapes).

nxGangrel said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Trent Reznor should do the soundtrack. I prefer how Reznor did the soundtrack to quake over what what prince did in any of the games he worked on.

EDIT: Although Sonic Mayhem was equally as good as well, they should bring HIM back if they're going for a metal approach.

Q2 had a great soundtrack, I fully agree.

Bobby Prince was great for DOOM in 1993, but not so much now.
I mean, his DOOM 3 song kind of proves it.
He's a good musician, but he's really stuck in the past. MIDI guitar riffs and silly little tunes don't work as well for the new DOOM as they did for the original.

As much as I love his work on Doom/2 (and Duke Nukem 3D), I never liked that "Doom3" track there. It sounds like something that would be apropriate for Commander Keen (or whatever) and not a Doom game. This wouldn't even work in classic Doom. Mick Gordon's work on Wolfenstein TNO is great though. The soundtrack is definitely safe in his hands.

It depends on what his role would be. If it was metal, then he'd have to work with an actual metal band or a jack-of-all-trades musician to do the heavy lifting.

Shaviro said:

As much as I love his work on Doom/2 (and Duke Nukem 3D), I never liked that "Doom3" track there. It sounds like something that would be apropriate for Commander Keen (or whatever) and not a Doom game. This wouldn't even work in classic Doom. Mick Gordon's work on Wolfenstein TNO is great though. The soundtrack is definitely safe in his hands.

i'm only interested in the Doom 3 track, because it was actually released on an actual vinyl single at some point. that shit'd be cool to have. but other than that, it just gives the completely wrong mood for the entire game.

I think most of Ultimate Doom's music might still work well in DOOM 2016 if they modernize the songs a bit. Doom 2's music wouldn't work so well IMO.

As a big fan of the PSX music I would love having Aubrey Hodges doing the DOOM 2016 soundtrack. I wonder how well his ambient style would work on a modern shooter.

Darklordrobert said:

I think most of Ultimate Doom's music might still work well in DOOM 2016 if they modernize the songs a bit. Doom 2's music wouldn't work so well IMO.

As a big fan of the PSX music I would love having Aubrey Hodges doing the DOOM 2016 soundtrack. I wonder how well his ambient style would work on a modern shooter.

I agree. Hodges's atmospheric tracks in Doom 64 were great, but I don't know how well it would contrast against Doom 4's more fast and loud gameplay.

Darklordrobert said:

They should get Hodges if they ever do a Lovecraftian Quake reboot after this, since for some reason Reznor absolutely hates id now.
He did a pretty good job on the N64 OST.

The music from Doom 64 wouldn't suit Doom 2016.
It needs music that makes us want to kill/slay demons for no real reason (other than the in game story, which is litterally to kill demons).
While I like the Doom 64 music, cause it fit with the gloomy lighting, I wouldn't like a similar music for Doom 2016.
The dubstep music is fine for it.

Darklordrobert said:

I adore the many works of Aubrey Hodges, I think he could do a great job for Doom 2016. It doesn't even have to be only ambient work, stuff like these set the mood and tone.

Piper Maru said:

I adore the many works of Aubrey Hodges, I think he could do a great job for Doom 2016. It doesn't even have to be only ambient work, stuff like these set the mood and tone.

I second Aubrey Hodges. The PSX music is still some of the best ever.

I like Bobby Prince's music for Doom, but he probably won't get hired for soundtracking by Id again. Kind of a shame, because the guy is probably knocking on death's door now.

In any case though, I kind of wish that Prince would venture more beyond that 12-bar-blues pattern. It's the only problem I've ever had with the Doom soundtrack, which is otherwise perfect -- kind of makes it a bit exhausting to hear after a while.

Wovenloaf said:

I like Bobby Prince's music for Doom, but he probably won't get hired for soundtracking by Id again. Kind of a shame, because the guy is probably knocking on death's door now.

In any case though, I kind of wish that Prince would venture more beyond that 12-bar-blues pattern. It's the only problem I've ever had with the Doom soundtrack, which is otherwise perfect -- kind of makes it a bit exhausting to hear after a while.

Someone on this forum said that they can't come up with musical ideas without hearing a blues progression in their head and I sometimes have the same problem. I think it just goes to show that Bobby was already kind of a grandpa in terms of his ability to relate to modern music. Heavy metal chord progressions are usually very idiosyncratic (if not outright chromatic) and typically have little to do with the blues or pop progressions. Bobby either didn't realize this or simply felt more comfortable with more traditional arrangements. He got away with it way back when because the overwhelming sense of maturity and gloominess that seems to be so pervasive in so many modern soundtracks basically didn't exist at the time.

My only issue with the new soundtrack is that I'm doubtful it will be particularly memorable. Its aesthetic is clearly more textural than melodic, whereas Bobby's score was driven almost entirely by melody. Because Mick Gordon is focusing on the former, the soundtrack will likely accomplish what it ought to, which is add appropriate atmosphere to the gameplay, but I lament the fact that I probably won't be humming it to myself after the fact. Maybe in this day and age, a catchy, hummable riff doesn't work for a brutal, modern shooter.

Then again, look at what Aubrey Hodges did with the PSX and N64 versions. I have listened to both soundtracks countless times and have found that I have become intimately familiar with all the strange little touches and subtle nuances from each track, despite the fact that they're almost entirely devoid of melody or even rhythm. So perhaps Gordon's music will have that effect. That said, I'm seeing very little evidence that his work will evoke that strangely otherworldly, organic sound that Hodges perfected. That's a bit disappointing. I feel like that has more gravitas than what is ultimately fairly run-of-the-mill industrial rock.

GoatLord said:

I'm seeing very little evidence that his work will evoke that strangely otherworldly, organic sound that Hodges perfected. That's a bit disappointing. I feel like that has more gravitas than what is ultimately fairly run-of-the-mill industrial rock.

There is some dark ambient in the E3 demo, and it's a different form of dark ambient than Hodges' work, which is cool. Check out the hologram Hell Knight section again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpxDFExwhU&t=4m44s

All in all, this will be the first Doom game that will dynamically shift between the two main forms of Doom music. That will help give it a different feel.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I actually thought that was really great. It got me really excited and totally immersed me into the environment. I think the main thing that's bugging me is that the lead synth on the E1M1 remix sounds like a mosquito with explosive diarrhea. It just fucking sucks.