Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Freedoom 0.1?

What was 0.1 like (other then messy)?

Does anyone know where it may be found (like some small website)?
Thanks!

This dusty old sourceforge page contains a lot of old Freedoom versions... including 0.1!

Older versions of Freedoom have a NEWS file, which says that 0.1 was released on 2003.04.16. The earliest working build on the site doesn't have a version number, but the build date on the title screen confirms it as 0.1.

0.1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedoom/files/OldFiles/freedoom.wad.gz/download

There aren't any maps, and it doesn't appear to be a functional iwad (I had to load it as a pwad), but it's surprising how much of this stuff is still in Freedoom today.

Edit: There are levels, but for some reason they aren't available in the "iwad", but separately as freedoom_levels.wad

I wonder if we should revert to the old crate textures, these are quite neat. At least, maybe we should add them as extras and use them more frequently.

i agree that those old crates are very nice, but any nice textures should be added as extra textures

im actually having a lot of fun with this old versions a lot of the assets have charming 90's aesthetic (yes i know this is from the 00's)

raymoohawk said:

i'm smitten with the little health bonus XD

I also liked it, it was still in the game in v0.5 (not sure about 0.6 though). I have no idea what the reason was for replacement - certainly not the concern over the red cross, as this was brought up much later. I suspect that this might have been because of the glow effects that some of the newer ports have, so it might have been decided to have blue health and greed armour bonuses.

is there a way to know what can and cannot be used from those super old versions? there quite a bit of stuff that's pretty cool in there

raymoohawk said:

is there a way to know what can and cannot be used from those super old versions? there quite a bit of stuff that's pretty cool in there

A bunch of the music in older Freedoom contains stolen music, so you have to be very very careful that what you use is not stolen.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought it was later down the line like around 0.5/0.6 that the problematic music was in there.

There were music and sound assets included without permission from copyright holders that predated the use of version control on the project. No effort was made to see how far back they went, so all the versions before 0.6.4 were simply removed from official distribution. Be careful if you try to dip back into those old ones.