Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom 1 Episode 1 - your favorite level?

Computer Station, and I'm unlikely to be the only one, as it's the most ambitious map from the set. Other maps try hard but lack the style and finesse.

I like E1maze7 but only because it's the only map like it in the episode. It bothers me that 90% of E1 replacement maps base themselves on the style of short tunnels with windows over nukage considering the variety in original E1.

Tough choice. Episode 1 of Doom is my favorite set of levels in the history of gaming. Every map is brilliant but I'm going to have to go with E1M7. That level is the most complex of the tech base missions and it has a lot of monsters and cool secrets. I also like the music and genuinely epic feeling that you're almost at the final boss stage of the episode. E1M3 comes at a close second because of it's alternative endings and cool backtracking map design. Ahh, nostalgia. Episode 1 is just magical to me.

I'm probably gonna be the odd one out, but I actually really like E1M9. It has such a unique gameplay style compared to the rest of the episode where it keeps you on your toes, even from the start with the imp cage. The faster paced action is something I always love in my Doom. Plus the music track is a perfect fit.

E1M7 is definitely my favorite map. When I was younger, it was always the map that challenged me the most, and still to this day, I consider it the hardest map in episode 1.

DaIcemann76 said:

e1m4: Command Control is my favorite.

Ditto. I wanted to say E1M6 or E1M7, but Kitchen Ace is a bitchin' tune and E1M4 has a lot of memorable instances.

SavageCorona said:

Of course E4M2 is still better than all of them.

I honestly don't get your undying love for that map. Sure, it's solid, but is it really that good? Better than every other IWAD, or at least UDoom, map?

Spoiler

Spoiler

no

On-topic: Doom E1, and in fact most of the original Doom doesn't really appeal to me that much now (parts of E4 being an exception). I guess E1M3 is my favourite of E1?

been revisiting E1 to play in Tyson mode, where mission 5 establishes itself as the most varied and fun - you might have to do a little pinkie punching to begin with and there's lots of resistance even once you've made your way to the secret chainsaw because of the nerve-wracking nature of the dark final room. M7 peters out as soon as you have decent armor while M2 + M3 are massively over-supplied levels. M4 is interesting because of the relative lack of pistol ammo, so you have to cause in-fights and make every shot count... M6 and M9 are a little painful, the secret level being fairly harsh to a pistol wielding player with its chainsaw hidden past the blue door, while M6 has a serious bullet deficiency and no chainsaw at all.

I hadn't played E1 in a while so I blazed through it again.
When it comes to gameplay, I had the most fun in the later stages, especially E1M6. The secret level is pretty great too.

I think that E1M1 is the best looking level though, especially because of the outside area. I also like the look of E1M8, as it's the first level where "hellish" architecture makes an appearence (outside of secrets maybe), and it's the first time a liquid was used as a ceiling flat. The way the Barons are introduced is nice as well.

E1M3, for the slow and gloomy music (and because of the ridiculously hard to find secrets that made want to look in Doom FAQ 6.666).

Voros said:

E1M3, for the slow and gloomy music (and because of the ridiculously hard to find secrets that made want to look in Doom FAQ 6.666).

I'm proud to say I've discovered its secrets by my own effort, not reading hint books (unlike how I trashed my Doom 2 experience…). Since I started playing Doom after playing more advanced games (such as Dark Forces), I was very glad to discover that even Doom has extensive hidden passages and it's not all plain and straightforward.

^ I haven't cheated on e1m3. I finished on my first try, with 0 secrets.
I merely wanted to know afterwards what those secrets were, since I couldn't find out myself.