Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

E4M2 Appreciation Station

Beat it blind in a couple of days. The opening area is not particularly tough, especially if the shotgunners infight heavily. The fight with the barons on the big slime pit is not particularly tough if you know how to strafe. Navigating the dark cave with the barons and cacodemons is also a nasty part, depends on how well you can paste them with the plasma rifle.

What always got me was the end part, where you had to face off a pack of demons, a cyberdemon and the crowd of cacodemons. The trick on that part is to get a suit, jump back into the slime, run straight back to the beginning and take them out from afar. After they all drop, you can then skip to the exit.

deadwolves said:

What always got me was the end part, where you had to face off a pack of demons, a cyberdemon and the crowd of cacodemons. The trick on that part is to get a suit, jump back into the slime, run straight back to the beginning and take them out from afar. After they all drop, you can then skip to the exit.

My trick was to stand on the top step so you're lower than the cyberdemon, then his rockets will explode before they hit you. Then I took out the demons and cacos with the rocket launcher. Once they're finished, if you're standing on that same spot, you can shoot the cyberdemon with the plasma gun and he can't hurt you. It's cheap but it worked.

Chewyninja69 said:

My most hated Doom level, or at the very least a tie between this and The Chasm.

That's pretty harsh. Chasm is a steaming pile. The cherry on the sundae is that the music sucks, too.

Job said:

That's pretty harsh. Chasm is a steaming pile. The cherry on the sundae is that the music sucks, too.

It may be harsh, but Perfect Hatred is (imo) just awkward level design all-around and it also comes so early in the episode. I think what really does it for me is the perpetual danger of falling into the/a damaging floor and closeness to enemies, especially on higher difficulty.

Honestly, if the damaging floor was taken out altogether and/or there were teleporter pads added that sent you back to the beginning of the level, then The Chasm would take the "top" spot on my Shittiest Doom Levels list.

I seem to be one of the few that actually liked E4M2. I thought it was quite good. Than again I though the Citadel was better than Mount Erebus, so...

scifista42 said:

No idea, you would have to ask Sandy Petersen.

Why Petersen? Romero Built the level.

nxGangrel said:

Why Petersen? Romero Built the level.

That was referring to Quake's E4M2.

nxGangrel said:

I seem to be one of the few that actually liked E4M2. I thought it was quite good. Than again I though the Citadel was better than Mount Erebus, so...

I agree with you that that the Citadel was better than Mt. Erebus.

E4M2 is one of my favorite levels mostly because of the cool speed running tricks you can do.
I use to not like it, but it grew on me and I appreciated Perfect Hatreds design the more I got into mapping.

The main thing that bugs me about this map is trying to jump through that window/hole to get to the super thin catwalk where the Barons are. That part is just brutal.

Catwalk style maps are some of my favorite ever so I've always loved E4M2. I agree it should have been placed later in the map set though. I've always thought the order of levels in episode 4 made no sense.

Breezeep said:

I will never understand why this level's cave / mine section has a ceiling made of wood.

because its the default doombuilder 2 ceiling texture

I like Perfect Hatred, one of the more memorable levels in Thy Flesh Consumed.
Now E4M6 Against Thee Wickedly on the other hand...
That's problably my least favorite level of Ultimate Doom..

deadwolves said:

Or you could just look around, see a teleport pad, use it to telefrag the Cyberdemon then get the BFG and nuke everything else.