Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

The next 90s first person shooter to receive a reboot?

Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad and Doom have all gotten reboots. What's next? Here's my thoughts.

Redneck Rampage: Okay, so I trashed this game in another thread, but its main problems (while admittedly big ones) are layout and mechanics. In truth, it has a lot of potential and a more refined version with modern graphics would be refreshing. It's probably the funniest of the Build games and an FPS with a twisted sense of humor would be a refreshing change of pace.

Blood: The original game is absolutely oozing with atmosphere and immersion. It's incredibly morbid and visceral. In a sense it's a constant homage to the horror genre, both in terms of cinema and in literature. We definitely need to see this come back.

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold: It's corny and moderately generic, but I love the cartoony, old school sci-fi aesthetic. It reminds me of sci-fi novel covers and B-movie special effects. A new take on that would be pretty awesome, even if the gameplay isn't remarkable.

Wow, that's a good suggestion! Chasm suffered from dreadfully boring layouts. They're about as complex as Wolfenstein's maps, but with some 3D-modeled scenery to distract you from that fact that every environment is essentially a series of perpendicular rooms. However, Chasm was dripping with atmosphere and managed to look fairly distinctive, despite being an obvious follower of the industrial/cyberpunk/brown trend that tended to define post-Quake shooters for awhile. It's a weird and quirky game and I remember being really impressed by the demo when it was new.

Even though this isn't technically a 90's shooter, I've always wanted to see Daikatana get a reboot, and make it better and more interesting than most modern triple AAA games.

I want to see that Blood reboot first though.

*hits YOU*

Blakestone.

Was a great game. Eclipsed by DOOM's release. Deserves a next gen follow up, imo.

I'll put my virtual and fake 0.002 cents on the long shot with William Shatner Presents: William Shatner's TEKWAR.

Would be cool if Marathon was retold with modern tech. Just look at those beautiful chapter intermission paintings*! Imagine playing something that looks like that, loads of atmosphere.

*discounting the first game's because they didn't have as good of artists at that time

A Duke Nukem 3d remake would probably be the only option for Gearbox to make any kind of money off the IP.

*Hits that.*

Another Duke Nukem gane would be like beating a dead horse, I think. DNF was enough.
Personally I'd be all for a new Blood game. The original was one of the few games I've never gotten tired of. There's just something in it that draws me back.

*Hits Wife*

Another Redneck rampage.

Nah seriously, another Blood please.

GoatLord said:

Redneck Rampage: Okay, so I trashed this game in another thread, but its main problems (while admittedly big ones) are layout and mechanics. In truth, it has a lot of potential and a more refined version with modern graphics would be refreshing. It's probably the funniest of the Build games and an FPS with a twisted sense of humor would be a refreshing change of pace.

I hope you played it trough Dosbox and not with any of those broken and gameplay glitching reverse engineered abandoned ports... as they severely break the aiming, and gameplay.

GoatLord said:

Blood: The original game is absolutely oozing with atmosphere and immersion. It's incredibly morbid and visceral. In a sense it's a constant homage to the horror genre, both in terms of cinema and in literature. We definitely need to see this come back.

I wonder if they would be able to create an atmospheric game wth modern lighting and color calculations... i always feel that modern rendering is way to cold and synthetic (based on trailes) to be able to handle a decent Blood remake.

Unless the devs would be smart enough to avoid those problems.

FireFish said:

I hope you played it trough Dosbox and not with any of those broken and gameplay glitching reverse engineered abandoned ports... as they severely break the aiming, and gameplay.

Nah man, I played it on DosBox and it actually ran pretty smoothly. It's just that the game isn't mechanically very satisfying. Movement is okay, but aiming is an absolute nightmare, the weapon will jitter up and down by rather jarring intervals, making it impossible to be even mildly precise. There's also some fucked-up collision detection that makes firefights frustrating and awkward. It's just not a very fun game to play because of that.

FireFish said:

I wonder if they would be able to create an atmospheric game wth modern lighting and color calculations... i always feel that modern rendering is way to cold and synthetic (based on trailes) to be able to handle a decent Blood remake.

Unless the devs would be smart enough to avoid those problems.

I'm not sure what you mean here. "Based on trailes," could you elaborate on that? I've seen some rather impressive results from modern rendering techniques.

GoatLord said:

I'm not sure what you mean here. "Based on trailes," could you elaborate on that? I've seen some rather impressive results from modern rendering techniques.

That is a mistake because of an aging keyboard on a very old Asus netbook. It should have been the word "Trailers".

*Hits Chezza*

Quake in original goth mode please. All full of glowy weird runes, dripping dank darkness, weird cast and otherworldly skies. Caves with glowing eyes that jump out on eye contact. Weird forests. Extended and sprawling architecture, sprouted from the reductionist stumps of the original. Put American McGee on the spatial design.

*Hits bongos*

I'd be up fr a Q1 reboot, it'as a goldmine of inspiration that never got fully explored. Maybe Exhumed/Powerslave as well.

*tips softly*

I'd love to see a sequel to the first Quake, the game has that atmosphere and touch which doesn't exist in the shiny strogg wars.

Others would be Powerslave, Disruptor, Heretic/Hexen and Catacombs 3D.

*hits myself*

- the first Quake. (Very possible, not very likely right now)
- the first Blood. (Somewhat possible, when hell freezes over)
- the first Heretic. (No idea how possible or likely)
- the first Hexen. (See above.)
- Strife (Night Dive owns it now right? Somewhat possible?)
- Necrodome (No idea.)
- Quarantine (Probably not possible, but someone could make something very similar)
- Shogo (No idea, I assume it's very possible, but not very likely at all.)
- Daikatana (I think Romero deserves another shot, and the ad can be 'JOHN ROMERO IS GONNA MAKE YOU HIS BUDDY' on a blue background.)

Honorable mention goes to Turok, Blake Stone and Powerslave. I was going to say Last Rites but Left 4 Dead is pretty much that game already.

*hits pay dirt*

Honestly what I'd want the most is a reboot of ROTT that doesn't suck. Interceptor's was honestly on the disappointing side...

*hits the gym*

I'm gonna second Doom Dude's suggestion. The first Quake, despite it's turbulent production and conflicting designs, ended up looking really freakin cool. I love technology/medieval mixture they ended up with. And the lovecraftian bestiary seals the deal.
Blake Stone was a good game for it's time, but nowadays it would probably just come off as a "Deus Ex with a 70's sci-fi aestetics", and ultimately blend in amongst the other FPS games.
About Blood, I'd love to see a reboot, but at this point I my hopes and dreams of a Blood ANYTHING ever coming again out has been pretty much thrown down and curb stomped violently.

I kind of want to see a remake of H.U.R.L. for some reason. It's a pretty reworked Wolf3D clone in which you clean dirty animals.