Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
agent ender

Who else uses inspiration from Doom II levels?

Do you do this?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do this?

• Yeah, I enjoyed Doom II's level designs.
    • No, I do or don't use inspiration.
    • Please elaborate (Explain what you don't get)

Okay, so when I make maps, I like to use a concept similar to the levels from the original Doom games, but mostly Doom II.'

Now I don't know if anyone else here is a fan of doing that, but just out of curiosity, who else uses those levels as a idea or concept for design? I usually use those levels as a general idea because they have a design that I can build similarly to. I'm not talking about straight out copying the design though, just like using them as a idea.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the topic in the thread or something.

I draw many inspiration from Heretic, especially from Episode 4, since it's the best.
I also draw inspiration from other PWADs like MM, Requiem and CC.

Of course I've been taking inspiration from Doom 2 levels, among thousands of other wads and things I've been taking inspiration from. When I was beginning with mapping, Doom 2 might have been the main (if not the only) source of inspiration I knew. But nowadays, it's not at all among the main ones, and I prefer taking inspiration from my favorite community-made maps and mapper's styles.

I use American Mcgee's level designs for inspiration, specifically map 14. Though I also try to mimic designs from Quake as well. If I don't based my designs off of these, the maps usually suck.

Even when making designs vastly different from those featured in Doom and Doom2, I still tend to use a blend of Romero and Petersen visual styles.

I'm going to say no. But I'm not entirely sure how much my map designs actually take from Doom 2 in general. I probably copy / get inspired much more than I realize.

I think everyone must do in one way or another, be it a general level concept (e.g. Chasm/Living End type maps) or a more specific thing like a trap idea, some mapping feature, texture use or whatever.

It's not necessarily a bad thing though, i guess it's like music in a way... taking influence from the things you enjoy and putting all those parts together to make something new.

Chezza said:

I'm going to say no. But I'm not entirely sure how much my map designs actually take from Doom 2 in general. I probably copy / get inspired much more than I realize.

ditto

Dunno if this counts but I do tend to look at the world around me (IRL lol) and when I see something cool, I try and recreate it in a map (like a cool looking bridge or whatnot).

Otherwise, I dunno, I do take a little inspiration from various pwads out there and the original iwads too :D

The fact that Heretic all in all uses about 16 wall textures (!!!) made me realize the worth of using a texture at least twice in a map.

I usually take inspiration from Tom Halls levels. They feel more doom-like and atmospheric than the other map designers attempts. John Romeros levels are also very nice, as well as most of TNT Evilution.