Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esky

Cheating in multiplayer?

Any idea if ID will try and prevent cheating that is now so widespread in pretty much all id engine based games?

No matter how hard they try, some boob will find a way around it.

Full server-side mode. Of course that's humongously pathetic unless your connection rocks. Then again, broadband will eventually become widespread. If I have DSL, then I can only imagine how common high-speed connections are in first world countries.

Of course, that doesn't stop clientgame cheats like render hacks.

It's not that terrible though. I play CS on a daily basis and there's only 1 blatant cheater every 5 servers.

I think something like Valve's steam would solve the problem...

Blizzard doesn't have such a bad system either, they simply go after and sue the shit out of any copyright infringments... that should be a good step towards making cheats less widespread... I'm not sure how that would translate into the common render hacks for opengl... but I'm sure you could pull of something; perhaps if the game requires you to log into a system such as valve's steam, then the approch could be used since even render hacks would have to fuck with the steam system thus infringing copyrights.... right? or something like that...

esky said:

Blizzard doesn't have such a bad system either, they simply go after and sue the shit out of any copyright infringments...

ah yes, i remember the day when many sites on the starcraft webring with hacks went down, then reappeared with no hacks... but back then for most games, hacks were like AOL progs; for every thousand hacks, maybe 2 would work correctly. Today it's a little different.

esky said:

Any idea if ID will try and prevent cheating that is now so widespread in pretty much all id engine based games?

hey, you never know if somebody makes a doom3 port and has a "sv_cheats" command.

Lord FlatHead said:

I agree with John Carmack's quick solution for this: "play with your friends".

That will also provide an overall better experience as your friends are less liable to act like morons in general.

Unless of course you're a moron yourself and like to associate with other morons.

Zaldron said:

Full server-side mode. Of course that's humongously pathetic unless your connection rocks. Then again, broadband will eventually become widespread. If I have DSL, then I can only imagine how common high-speed connections are in first world countries.

Of course, that doesn't stop clientgame cheats like render hacks.

It's not that terrible though. I play CS on a daily basis and there's only 1 blatant cheater every 5 servers.

Well DSL isn't as common here in the UK as you may think. Anyway, afaik Argentina is down as a first world country? I guess maybe 5% of all internet users may have broadband or similar.

As far as cheating is concerned, I agree with with flathead's quote. Play with friends or people you meet online. I guess we shall all be hooking up in a year or so :)

DaJuice said:

Unless of course you're a moron yourself and like to associate with other morons.

Nothing beats fragging a moron though.