Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wereknight

CWolf's FreeDoom workshop (textures, sprites, something else)

raymoohawk said:

i'm not trying to exploit you, but how about a new evil eye?

Hurrrrr... I love current one. But, I may to replace it.

Main question is: does it really should be demonic?

raymoohawk said:

as long as it is the same size it should be fine

Fine then.

I'll upload sprites tomorrow, with my map probably.

raymoohawk said:

I think it would be nice to make the lamp post entirely metallic and brighten the upper part to make it clear that it is emanating light. Otherwise there's the orange light thing inserted in the post and a red one at the top, with both being light sources (?).

CWolfRu said:

The one on the left is better IMO. The base could be given some perspective though.

CWolfRu said:

It's possible.

EDIT:

Ehhh... now we have pregnant lamp. Ouch.

http://i.imgur.com/2S7avcw.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/Hig7vLn.gif

The problem with this is that it doesn't look like it gives enough light. In maps, the these lamps are placed in large light sectors, and it doesn't look like the dinky lamp on the top of this thing could give out that much light. The current lamp does look like it gives out enough light, and I think it's a good sprite that doesn't need to be replaced.

I think effort should be concentrated on the assets which are not up to snuff, like the previous terrible tall tech lamp.

The new tall techno lamp:
sprites/tlmpa0.gif
sprites/tlmpb0.gif
sprites/tlmpc0.gif
sprites/tlmpd0.gif
that was added on 1st January, appears misplaced. It does not stay at it's place, but moves, when the player moves. Please fix that.
Greetings
funduke

Doctor Nick said:

The current lamp does look like it gives out enough light, and I think it's a good sprite that doesn't need to be replaced.

Agreed, COLUA0 doesn't need to go anywhere.

Looks nice, though keep in mind purple does not convert well to the Doom palette. Maybe turn the purple part blue?

Sodaholic said:

keep in mind purple does not convert well to the Doom palette.

For fullbright sprites, like lamps, using purple is not really an isssue, right?

andrewj said:

For fullbright sprites, like lamps, using purple is not really an isssue, right?

It's still an issue because Doom's purple range is garbage. 5 shades isn't much to work with.

I already previewed that sprite in the Doom palette and the purple bits look bad.

Sodaholic said:

Looks nice, though keep in mind purple does not convert well to the Doom palette. Maybe turn the purple part blue?

I prefer orange\green

Blue:

It has a nice texture, but I don't think it looks very military like. Perhaps it could have a camo pattern, or simply military dark green?

I think the lamp with orange highlights actually looks best.

MrFlibble said:

It has a nice texture, but I don't think it looks very military like. Perhaps it could have a camo pattern, or simply military dark green?

I dunno, I think it looks fine. I assume Freedoom takes place in the future anyway, not like the style needs to be what we'd see today.

MrFlibble said:

Dark green doesn't look nice on it.

Well, just my two cents. Come to think if it, what caught my attention are the golden parts and the bright red straps. I guess that even in the future, military gear (assuming this is a military backpack) should not use overly conspicuous colour schemes.

The grey parts are good, as I said above.

While I do think the pillar needs a replacement (my edit was just trying to make it marginally less shitty), I'm not really a fan of that one. It doesn't make sense, why is the upper half so off center?

@mrfibble

that's the kind of thinking that leads to poop brown poop green and poop grey shooters. we are aiming for rule of cool, not realism

raymoohawk said:

that's the kind of thinking that leads to poop brown poop green and poop grey shooters. wea are aiming for rule of cool, not realism

I'm not bent on realism per se, it is just my contention that the design of items should make it clear to the players what it is that they are interacting with. Doom's backpack is all brown, but it conveys the idea of a backpack quite well none the less.

It should be also noted that I made my last post here nearly simultaneously with CWolfRu's, and my comments are about the previous, incomplete version.

CWolfRu, you have narrowed down the width of sprite compared to the current Freedoom's backpack. I wonder if it will not appear overly tall when aspect-corrected in the game?

No worries, I should've probably edited my post once I noticed that CWolfRu posted an update, but I decided to wait for someone else to reply first instead.