Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You MUST play this Quake map pack.

You're killing me. I have to write a report, and I'm compulsively checking this thread when I should be working. Can't wait to finish writing so I can d/l this.

oh god looks so beautiful

You should run it in Quakespasm because it has weird artifacts in Darkplaces. Also, it is pretty challenging.

This looks really cool.
Shame that getting Quake mods to run is such a hassle.
I might try it in the future, but I just don't have the patience to sit down and figure it out.

The Civ said:

This looks really cool.
Shame that getting Quake mods to run is such a hassle.
I might try it in the future, but I just don't have the patience to sit down and figure it out.

It's pretty easy.

Installation
------------

* Create a new folder called "ad" in your Quake folder
* Copy the Zip file into the new folder
* Extract the contents of the zip file
* Create a shortcut to your preferred Quake engine
* Add the following to the command line

-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad

* Run the shortcut (click icon) and make sure the engine loads
* After the start map has loaded pick your skill level

Thanks for the tip, DooM_RO. I will have to give it a try when I find some time. Hopefully soon.

No wonder it's so awesome. The team was not made only by old Quake mappers but also by a professional who is into Quake and has worked on various AAA games.

http://www.simonoc.com/

He goes by the name of Sock on those forums.

Man, I would pay good money if these guys were hired by Id to churn out expansions on a regular basis.

Just finished the Lava Tomb level on hard. Holy shit was it intense.

DooM_RO said:

It's pretty easy.

Installation
------------

* Create a new folder called "ad" in your Quake folder
* Copy the Zip file into the new folder
* Extract the contents of the zip file
* Create a shortcut to your preferred Quake engine
* Add the following to the command line

-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad

* Run the shortcut (click icon) and make sure the engine loads
* After the start map has loaded pick your skill level

Thanks!
I actually got the pack working, but for whatever reason, whenever I start it, it always tells me that it "couldn't exec autoexec."
Any reason for this?

The Civ said:

Thanks!
I actually got the pack working, but for whatever reason, whenever I start it, it always tells me that it "couldn't exec autoexec."
Any reason for this?

Just hit escape to bring up the menu, select single player, and start a new game. That should start you in the opening hub where you select difficulty.

The autoexec.cfg would be present if you manually created a config file to override things in the original config.cfg.

Hope that works for you.

As for this mod, I've only played two levels, but it's pretty amazing what can be done with Quake at this point. Beautiful levels, but it is extremely difficult. And it probably doesn't help that I haven't really played quake for 5 years. Used to be fine on Nightmare, Hard on some of the harder user maps. This I'm playing on Normal, and it's still rather tough.

Is there a secret guide to this? I already have 70 minutes in that foggy whatever map, but I only found 10 secrets and 4 tomes.

Pedro VC said:

Is there a secret guide to this? I already have 70 minutes in that foggy whatever map, but I only found 10 secrets and 4 tomes.

Not sure about a guide, but I can say this, I'm playing "Place of Many Deaths" right now, and some of the secrets definitely took a page from Serious Sam. "Great job, you found a secret, now enjoy an onslaught of spawn-in enemies with no additional armor, weapon, health, or ammo bonuses. But here's a quad damage so you don't waste too much ammo or health dealing with them."

Of course there are some secrets that actually give you additional bonuses without forcing you to waste them fighting the enemies that spawn in; but it almost makes me hesitant about trying to access what I think might be a secret.

But still, it's really enjoyable to be playing Quake again. And Place of Many Deaths has been really fun, despite some irritations. The levels are beautiful and the new enemies really put you to the test. The only thing that's really throwing me off is that the shotguns are no longer hitscan, they fire projectiles like the nail gun. That's taking some getting used to.

It would be nice to play it on DP with a HD texturepack, but judging by the screenshot it seems to be using at least a few custom textures, and of course the artifacts issue it has with DP which DooM_RO already pointed out.

Played a bit, looks decent and plays good. Several maps crashed upon startup in Quakespasm with an error message "Mod_LoadBrushModel: maps/<mapname>.bsp has wrong version number (844124994 should be 29)", I wonder if I should update Quakespasm or something else. Also, playing Quake mods makes me realize that I really miss a ZDoom-style "resurrect" cheat in Quake that would resurrect me when I die, there seems to be no such a thing.