Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qmanchoo

Doom 3 Petition

The game's levels are NOT compiled, and there is already a no-cutscenes way of playing it. That means creating a coop mod for the original levels would take just a few hours of work.

Let the guys work on the SP aspect and wait for the modders to tackle this problem.

Zaldron said:

there is already a no-cutscenes way of playing it.

Really?! Where have you heard that? If it´s true, it´s pretty cool, because I dislike cutscenes that interupt the flow and switch to the 3rd person view.

i don't think id would care about this petition. they have already said they are making the game their way, and no one elses. plus, i don't think doom3 not having a co op option of play will upset people enough that they won't buy the game.

"Only one man stands between Hell and Earth..."

Co-op would be excellent if implemented right.

Isn't this thread an age-old thread? I thought there was a rule against bumping threads older than three weeks.

And I think it's a little drastic to say that "We wont buy D3!!!" just because it doesn't have coop.

dsm said:

Isn't this thread an age-old thread? I thought there was a rule against bumping threads older than three weeks.

08-12-02 14:59

seems pretty new to me :)

but anyway, i totally agree with you dsm. like i said before, the lack of co op won't be the determining factor for nearly everyone of whether they will buy doom or not.

No co-op. See, now this is what I'm talkin about. This ain't no Doom game. It'd probably too easy on co-op, seeing that only 4 monters will be onscreen at once... i bet ;(

Use3D said:

No co-op. See, now this is what I'm talkin about. This ain't no Doom game. It'd probably too easy on co-op, seeing that only 4 monters will be onscreen at once... i bet ;(

That wont determine the difficulty of the game. The new imps seem much more difficult to fight than the old ones and there is also the factor of monster placement. Also take into consideration that you can no longer run at 50 miles/h like in the old game. Nah, I doubt the difficulty will suffer under the limits of number of monsters.

About the thread not being so old after all: Well, this exact same thing was posted ages ago (probably in another thread, but the same thing nonetheless).

And what do you mean with "this ain't no Doom game"!? Just because it doesn't throw hordes of monsters at you at once doesn't mean that "it isn't a Doom game". It's got the same theme, same weapons and the same enemies (Demons overrun human UAC base, lone space marine kicks demon ass back to Hell), so it IS Doom.

Ehh ages ago, people whined about me reposting that co-op mode is added in the game. Now everyone seems to have forgotten it already. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

dsm said:

And I think it's a little drastic to say that "We wont buy D3!!!" just because it doesn't have coop.

It's better than that guy who said he won't buy it if it doesn't have a double barelled shotgun.

Unless you design the whole game from scratch exclusively for co-op play, adding co-op in would be extremely difficult and not worthwhile.

If you want it that bad, wait for a mod like SvenHalfLife for Doom 3.

dsm said:

And what do you mean with "this ain't no Doom game"!? Just because it doesn't throw hordes of monsters at you at once doesn't mean that "it isn't a Doom game".

the old Doom didn't throw hordes and hordes of enemies at you either.

Shaviro said:

the old Doom didn't throw hordes and hordes of enemies at you either.

Yes, people seem to think that just because the Doom engine CAN throw hordes of enemies at you, Doom the game DID throw hordes of enemies at you. It didn't.

NiGHTMARE said:

Yes, people seem to think that just because the Doom engine CAN throw hordes of enemies at you, Doom the game DID throw hordes of enemies at you. It didn't.

I'm sure Doom III will have "almost" the same amount of monsters.

Shaviro said:

I'm sure Doom III will have "almost" the same amount of monsters.

Judging by what some of us have seen so far, I think I'll agree on that - it's all about monster placemenet.

Tetzlaff said:

Zaldron, what´s with the "no-cutscenes way of playing" Doom3? Or was that just a technical thought?

A no-story mode with no interrumption of the action. I wouldn't recommend playing Doom III for the first time using this setting, since you won't be able to grasp the plot of the game, but this lays the ground for a coop mod.

You could easily skip scenes like the one where Pinky is eating a zombie, or where the Commando attacks you with the minigun, without losing parts of the plot. But there surely are other cutscenes that are important to the plot... well I think I just have to get used to that annoying view switching, and if it will not be done excessivley, it should work OK.

Coop:
"Only two men stand between Hell and Earth. Better hope there's no lag."

ROFL! Well said.
As long as the netcode rocks just like in Quake 3 co-op should be okay I guess..

Tetzlaff said:

You could easily skip scenes like the one where Pinky is eating a zombie, or where the Commando attacks you with the minigun, without losing parts of the plot. But there surely are other cutscenes that are important to the plot... well I think I just have to get used to that annoying view switching, and if it will not be done excessivley, it should work OK.

It won't. They just use it a lot in the start, afaik.

They only use cutscenes when there are specific story twists according to id.
The two cutscenes shown at E3 might not even BE there in the final release.

Actually it takes so much effort to make this stuff that any artist would weep like a baby if told that his cutscene won't be used in the full game.

Zaldron said:

Actually it takes so much effort to make this stuff that any artist would weep like a baby if told that his cutscene won't be used in the full game.

Oh well, it's not that those two cutscenes bother me - especially the one with the chaingunner is cool :-)
Cutscenes don't bug me at all, as long as you can skip them - and skip them fast whenever you don't want to watch them.