Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

AV on ebay, eh?

Dunno if I find this amusing or insulting, but at least the cover-art could have been slightly less misleading =p Anyone know anything more about this "edition"? I found two different listings, but I've no idea if the other one contain something else or the same junk, since there's no complete cover-scan on that one. Guess whoever slapped it together might have tossed a few around:

first:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-Alien-Vendetta-/231694099698?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

2nd:

http://newauction.ru/offer/alien_vendetta_dreamcast-i5530785025.html

tsk tsk.

Andy Johnsen said:

Guess whoever slapped it together might have tossed a few around

If you mean "back", then it makes perfect sense, since it's Russian.

At first I thought probably it was just a DC game with the same name, but wow, it really does seem to be AV that they're selling. Weird.

Wonder if there are any other mods on sale.

Imagine a kid's deception after getting this game for Christmas, and after booting it up, realizing that the game has nothing to do with Xenomorphs and angry werewolf Baboons on an evil mansion? Bootlegs are so cruel.

So is this guy replacing the iwads with TCs on the dumped disk images and writing bootleg cds?

So he is essentially selling modded console ports, illegally.

If UAC Ultra or any other wads I participated in were for sale on eBay with a case and its own custom artwork, id honestly be very flattered.

Did you search for alien vendetta on eBay?

I think this calls for a toast, @Andy :) It's one of the coolest things that I've ever seen. Congrats :-D

40oz said:

If UAC Ultra or any other wads I participated in were for sale on eBay with a case and its own custom artwork, id honestly be very flattered.

Did you search for alien vendetta on eBay?

I hear you, I'd actually buy a copy if it was way cheaper, just cus of the sheer quirkiness of checking it out in hand.

I didn't search for it on the bay, no, I was trying to unearth some other AV related stuff and came across it in the process. :)

gemini09 said:

I think this calls for a toast, @Andy :) It's one of the coolest things that I've ever seen. Congrats :-D

Notice your co-authored map31 is one of three maps that made it to the cover-art even, heh. If only they had gotten the 2nd release on it at the very least - this is the unpolished first release judging the Map01 shots. Ew. =p

this is pretty cute. cool find! i wonder what the rest of the megawad bootlegs look like, lol

kmxexii said:

this is pretty cute.

I don't think shamelessly selling someone else's noncommercial work is "cute" at all. This guy needs his Ebay account shut down.

Sodaholic said:

I don't think shamelessly selling someone else's noncommercial work is "cute" at all. This guy needs his Ebay account shut down.

The dude could just be putting up stuff without having much idea of the origins tho...I highly doubt anyone got much dough outta this, if any. I agree with your moral compass on the matter of course, but it's still a bit cute / wacky / absurd in execution. Trying to pitch a 15 year old free Doom II mod with a totally out of context cover-art and with that price tag.

Edit: Of course, there is the link to Tatsurdcacocaco's map01 playthrough in the actual add, which again links to idgames and the download. Self-defeating move, perhaps :)

kmxexii said:

this is pretty cute. cool find! i wonder what the rest of the megawad bootlegs look like, lol

Yeah. Probably even that is better than wow.wad

This is like that Russian metal group or whatever taking the soundtrack from Quake II, putting lyrics over it, and calling it unequivocally theirs.

Sodaholic said:

well yeah it's still blatant piracy, not just of alien vendetta but probably doom II as well.

Andy Johnsen said:

Notice your co-authored map31 is one of three maps that made it to the cover-art even, heh.

Haha, yes I noticed but it's Ebola's work on display there. @Kristus get in here and buy us a new round of beers :-D

Sometimes I imagine AV was an official release from 1996 or something, I wonder how it would have been received.

At first when I was looking at the listing it just looked like something just named the same.. until I saw the blatant screenshots on the back lol.

I'm morbidly curious if this Dreamcast version actually works and whether or not it plays well.

40oz said:

you'd be flattered that someone is profiting off of your own work?

Yes, it's cute and flattering. Somewhere in Russia, someone put considerable effort into presenting AV as a professional product, then sold it in his pirate shop among bootlegs of regular commercial games. This seller may not even know it's free user-made content, or at least didn't know back then. I bet most of his collection consists of bootlegs, heh.

There's no need to get your panties in a twist about it, all of that ripping and stealing already happened a long time in the past. Shame there are no dates on the case and the site seems to be down. This really is a weird rare artifact of the past in the Wild Cyber East, heh.