Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

The next 90s first person shooter to receive a reboot?

I almost want to say there should be a remake of PO'd, but I haven't played it. It's just the idea of hitting walking butts with a frying pan with modern graphics sounds fun.

Gez said:

Extreme Paintbrawl

It'd be fully developed in a couple week with the Pie in the Sky engine by an autistic child using assets ripped from the Build version, and it'd be released as a Windows 16-bit executable that is also infected by at least three different virus.

*hits a copy of Nevermind*

I'd rather that stay lost in the annals of time.

Conker's Bad Furday?
(I know, 2000. still, that game was a pain in the ass, and I liked it!)

Hard to imagine any of these games getting a reboot, since in the grand scheme of things they're all fairly obscure, but then again I never would have expected a reboot of ROTT so what do I know?

Voros said:

Conker's Bad Furday?
(I know, 2000. still, that game was a pain in the ass, and I liked it!)

Not exactly a shooter...at all! But I think it would be neat see a reimagining of it. Too bad the gameplay kind of sucked. Sometimes it was really fun, but it was horribly unbalanced. They clearly put more effort into story/aesthetics than gameplay.

nxGangrel said:

There is one. It's called Quake Live, and it's now $10 on steam.

Quake Live didn't have high-poly models and HD textures last time I checked. Has this changed?

I was gonna add Carnivores to the list, but that did get a reboot. At which point lets try to remake Carnivores 4, mmkay?

Well, okay, that might be Primal Carnage, but whatever.

Clonehunter said:

I was gonna add Carnivores to the list, but that did get a reboot. At which point lets try to remake Carnivores 4

Isn't the mobile edition enough, with the new dinosaurs and animals, and areas? Compared to the PC version, it is better...
But if Tatem Games remake Carnivores, then at least, they should add footprints of animals and animal/dinosaur infighting.

MrFlibble said:

For some reason I think I'd like a remake of Blake Stone on the Build engine.

As for Descent, there's the Descent: Underground project (still WIP if I'm not mistaken), and also Sublevel Zero. The latter has a freeware prototype version which is pretty nice, although the commercial game has evolved very far beyond it.

I was scanning this thread for this. Thanks for saving me the time of posting it myself.

Tetzlaff said:

Quake Live didn't have high-poly models and HD textures last time I checked. Has this changed?

The models look the same. Maybe a bit smoother. The textures look very smooth and has detail. I haven't made any visual comparisons so I could be wrong about QL's being better.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

*beats my meat*
Maybe what we all need is a reboot of Noah's Ark 3d. Then we can make a Brutal mod for it.

Fuck yeah, Brutal Noah's Ark 3D, I can't wait to blow some goat heads off while Noah yells "GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

(I mean, this is genuine, in what world does that not sound amazing)

*hits bongos*

DeathevokatioN said:

It'd be nice if a AAA developer decided to make their own game for once.

They would have to sell it to, is the thing.

*hits himself*

Blood would be the most awesome, but alas the chances are slim to none.

Quake with the original Cthulhu style would be great too.

Outlaws would also be great, I'd love a good spaghetti western shooter on PC, with music by Clint Bajakian.

Blake Stone would be great too, good campy sci-fi.

RoyBatty said:

Outlaws would also be great, I'd love a good spaghetti western shooter on PC, with music by Clint Bajakian.

Well it would certainly be better than the Call of Jaurez games, now that's for sure.

From the way it was described, Quake would of probably ended up a lot like Hexen since theres quite a few melee weapons in Hexen.

GoatLord said:

I almost want to see a version of Quake as John had originally intended...

An upgradable hammer as the main weapon and an emphasis on the gothic/medieval fantasy aspects of Quake.

Don't know, it wouldn't feel like Quake. Because Quake 1's charme lies in the unique mix of low-tech gritty scifi, gothic medieval and Lovecraftian themes.

*hits the jackpot*

Really, I'd settle for a new game with old FPS game design sensibilities. Large bestiary with very distinct enemies, level design that's somewhere between open-ended and linear without committing to going fully to either extreme, occasional puzzles to unlock secret areas, arcadey gunplay, that sort of thing.

Rise of the Triad tried that, and I thought it was pretty decent at it, although the level design was too linear for my tastes (complete with doors closing behind you at certain points, preventing you from backtracking). Don't really feel like Shadow Warrior managed it; the demo was extremely linear, and the sequel is apparently going right for the other extreme in being open-world, so not really feeling that. Haven't tried Wrack, heard mixed things.

It seems every other time a game comes around trying to evoke nostalgia for retro FPS, it's either trying to evoke nostalgia for Quake 3 (ie: MP only), which isn't what I'm looking for, or is single-player but can't figure out how (or, maybe, can't be arsed) to do proper level design and thus touts how it has procedurally-generated stages, which... okay, that just tells me the stages are going to be largely random and ultimately end up feeling very samey. Cynical, but really, as nice as "infinite levels!" sounds on paper, I'll take a well-designed memorable handmade stage to okay-designed auto-generated stages that tend to just blur together.

I dunno, maybe that Bombshell Build Engine game will scratch that itch for me...