Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

No Cracked games in the future .

I really don't care; I have centuries worth of playtime in my backlog from Humble Bundles and GOG.

Pirate games are totally overdone anyway. It's time we did another theme, like futuristic SF/horror shooter.

I feel like pirating games is a young (or poor) wo/man's activity that is eventually 'grown out' of. Most of my early gaming knowledge comes from pirated games, but now that I actually have income, I buy more games than I ever pirated. I don't think this is a unique phenomenon to my childhood.

I don't have the answer, but I suspect killing piracy outright might actually harm the video-game industry.

I'm not a piracy apologist, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the good things about services like steam and GOG have to do with them being in competition with piracy (as oppose to things like Origin, Uplay, Games for Windows and other more clumsy DRM which are supposed to straight up fight it). It's possible that a large reduction in piracy might remove some incentives to offer better prices for the consumer.

I haven't bought DRM'ed games before and won't start now. If that's how this industry wants to conduct business they'll have to make do without my money. The old stuff on GOG costs less and plays better so why bother?

I bet exist availability create another server, hack inner system in game... Break any protection possible... Cheaters will be always (>_<)

I use the societal and technological collapse to the dark ages as a meter.

If these events occur and I cannot play the game or use said software, then I will not purchase it and I avoid even using it.

Gez said:

I really don't care; I have centuries worth of playtime in my backlog from Humble Bundles and GOG.

Pretty much this, however Jon has a point about crackers/warez-groups unintentionally providing a historic preservation service for those games with DRM.

Captain Red said:

I'm not a piracy apologist, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the good things about services like steam and GOG have to do with them being in competition with piracy (as oppose to things like Origin, Uplay, Games for Windows and other more clumsy DRM which are supposed to straight up fight it).

I don't really care if you like it or use it, but Steam should be lumped in with Origin, Uplay, GfW, and the others. It's every bit as much of a DRM platform and actively fighting cracking/piracy efforts.

Not a problem, since my PC can't handle today's games, they have demanding sys reqs, so i'll stick with a console for these.
Besides i got most classic fps games and such, so no need to buy new games and i'd appreciate that EA would stop with that DRM for new NFS games.

Re: Steam versus other DRM mechanisms - don't forget you still often get both, as with Far Cry xyz - launching that through Steam and then Uplay is a shittier experience than it needs to be.

I go with Steam these days because I can better afford to, and I can't be bothered with the hassle of pirating something that I will probably just end up buying anyway. But I don't pay release prices, I just won't do that. Steam's affordable back catalogue, which of course always grows, kills warez of all but the newest titles.

Not that Steam versions always work properly... but that's another story.

i always pirate before buying, granted i only end up buying a small portion of what i pirate, but without piracy to try out the games i dont think i would buy anything

Jon said:

I think it will hurt the cultural heritage aspect of things, in that we somewhat rely on pirates, hackers, crackers, and such like to preserve historic games going forward. Interesting readings on this topic:

https://www.jwz.org/blog/2016/01/1982-burgertime-drm-was-hard-core/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/30/star-wars-galaxy-mmo-preservation/

My thoughts exactly. However, this is such a niche thing, the die-out is inevitable.

They were saying the same things about Starforce. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was uncracked for a year and a half iirc. The Reloaded group beat that protection, started releasing cracks for previously uncracked games and released their tools eventually, now it is hardly used outside Russia and old SF games aren't playable on modern OSes lmfao... it even requires a driver installation and a restart. Gtfo.

Later another protection system, Securom, started implementing some online authentication and protection triggers, like Mass Effect that wasn't properly cracked for a while. It was beaten in the end and I haven't noticed any recent game with it. Goodbye shitty protection with limited number of hardware-id'ed activations.

Ubisoft was using some custom protection in its then-new Assassin's Creed games that was querying a server for magic values needed for proper execution. An always online protection. Hackers used packet sniffers to capture all communication and created a cracked executable with an internal server emulator and a query-response database. Good riddings annoying protection that paused gameplay if net connection was down or the server not responding.

All it takes is one or two skilled and dedicated crackers to make a breakthrough. Meanwhile the protection causes more trouble than it's worth. There are big budget games that are released drm-free and their sales don't suffer. Their customers and their customer support also doesn't suffer, they don't pay money for protection and they can release daily updates without having to worry about applying the security wrapper to every goddamn binary version they release.

Make good games, get fucking PAID. The new fad is preordering, early access and crowdfunding, that shows the main mass of people are paying BIG TIME for the games they want. Most pirates wouldn't pay for the game anyway.

Spyro 3 and Earthbound gave pirates hell for a while back in the day, Just Cause 3 is giving pirates hell now. I don't think we've got much to worry about.

Piracy is about the challenge, not about making games free. That is just a side effect. It will never go away so long as there is a challenge.

VGA said:

Most pirates wouldn't pay for the game anyway.

HOW DARE YOU
I PIRATE GAMES TO TRY BEFORE I BUY, AND WATCHING BASICALLY THE WHOLE GAME ON YOUTUBE ISN'T ENOUGH BECAUSE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PUT 50,000 MILES ON A CAR BEFORE I DECIDE IT'S WORTH PAYING FOR

Mechazawa said:

Piracy is about the challenge, not about making games free.

Heh, no. It's totally about making games free, let's not kid ourselves.

Whew. I thought for a second that there would be no more games that featured pirates. Can't wait until PirateSim2016 comes out after High Seas and Robot Pirate Island.

Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships and Sea Dogs 2 aka Pirates of the Caribbean were the last pirate games I ever enjoyed.

You can get Blood & Gold: Caribbean if you want both a disappointing M&B and pirate game in one package.

I was dearly hoping this wasn't about pirate theme games. I also dearly hope that a 100% pirate-proof game doesn't have the most annoyingly intrusive DRM of all time. It sounds like it would.