Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Sony + "Let's Play" + Trademark office = Laughs for all

Apparently, Sony tried to trademark the phrase "Let's Play" for whatever reason. The US Trademark office turned them down because something exists with the name "LP Let'z Play." As funny as this is, Sony was given the chance to make an argument as to why they should still be allowed to trademark it.

Overreaching? Stupidity? Genius marketing move? Horrendous backfire waiting to happen?

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-tried-to-trademark-let-s-play--333071.phtml

Almost as fucking retarded as Trump trying to trademark "you're fired". Pathetic cash grab attempt.

afaik you can't trademark common phrases anyways.

But then I guess that depends on how much money they have to lube up some lawyers to make it so.

RoyBatty said:

afaik you can't trademark common phrases anyways.

But then I guess that depends on how much money they have to lube up some lawyers to make it so.

You can't trademark most common words either, like when Sony had to settle with "blu" for Blu-Ray technology instead of the word "blue." Probably the same reason that the aforementioned coin-op arcade had to be named "Let'z Play". I imagine that Sony'd probably be denied "Let's Play" for that reason even if they manage to worm around the arcade's claim.

What's really sad is that they were blocked for the wrong reasons. Should've been blocked on the basis of "the public pretty much already owns this".