Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gatewatcher

KaZaA Lite, it sucks.

well, acting on the good reviews people gave me, i decided to ditch kazaa, and employ kazaa lite as a p2p application.

I hate kazaa lite.

The reason i hate it is this; while waiting out the first download, the firewall alert popped up. i naturally was like, "ok wtf". i grabbed the ip of the "attacker" and ran it on a whois proxy. it came back as being part of some korean institute of technology or something. so i blocked the the network's range of IP's permantely. end of story, or so i thought...

Next, which was earlier this morning, i got yet another attack. another one followed that as well. i repeated the steps above and went back to downloading. i still, at this point, have not made the correlation between the attack and kazaa lite. Just a few moments ago someone tried again to send me the backdoor.subseven. I was really getting pissed because usually i get maybe one alert per month and i have gotten 10 in the last 48 hours.

finally the light dawned on me and i my brain said, "well, the only thing you can be using that will give out your IP to the world is kazaa lite". So, i turned on a NetStat program and there it was, the ip that tried to access my computer remotely was the ip i was downloading off. >:0

I uninstalled kazaa lite after that.

it's a shame. it was a good program, and the searching was better also. but the lack of security was unacceptable. i preffer kazaa's spyware when it comes right down to it, simply because it's easier to control.

alright, so that's my rant. anyone else experience similiar problems? is there anything that i did wrong or did to expose myself? and do you think i am placing too much blame on kazaa lite?

let's have a friendly converstation.

RailGunner said:

why does KaZaA has spyware? it's annoying as hell.

Kazaa lite doesn't. Dude, I haven't had any problems with Kazaa lite, probably because I have a built in firewall.

bigbadgangsta said:

Dude, I haven't had any problems with Kazaa lite, probably because I have a built in firewall.

well what's the difference between your "built in fw" and mine? they both do the same thing, afaik.

gatewatcher said:

well what's the difference between your "built in fw" and mine? they both do the same thing, afaik.

I know but it does everything for me ;)

my firewall does everythin automatically as well. but to avoid a recurring attack or whatever, i simply block the range permanantly. therefor, not ever being bothered by them again ;)

Didn't you atleast bother looking into their firewall settings? I'm sure it could be fixed if you just played around with it or your firewall.

orion said:

Didn't you atleast bother looking into their firewall settings? I'm sure it could be fixed if you just played around with it or your firewall.

and what exactly do you want me to fix?

gatewatcher said:

and what exactly do you want me to fix?

The little problem you are having, I remember I used to have one just like it back in the Napster days, I somehow managed to get by it. Too long ago to really help you though.

the_Danarchist said:

I miss AG. *sniff*

Stop blubbering like a baby :P

Heh. It was the best IMO, and because it was so popular, it got shut down. Kazaa'll probably be next.

Kazaa Lite is really good.

But I've uninstalled all file sharing programs now. I don't feel like I want to warez0r stuff anymore. It only strikes back at you in the end, with record companies getting forced to put copy restriction on their CDs so that you can't rip them, not even for personal use...

Not that there's much good new music anyway. I only buy older music. And as soon as I get a DVD player, I'll *buy* DVD movies.

I've used Kazaa lite for some time now and I've never had any problems with firewalls or viruses - but with bastard peers not sharing stuff when I was on a 56k.

Selection isn't anywhere near as good as what AG had though.

Ichor said:

Not if this law is passed.

That makes no sense. If you bought a legit copy of a video or DVD, you have purchased the right to watch the thing as often as you damn well please in a private, non-commercial setting. If anything, this would make DVD-RAMS and DVD piracy more common and more practical. Plus adding any kind of restricting or self-destruct device to a DVD would either be laughably easy to defeat (the felt-tip marker thing) or further jack up the price of an already expensive media. [/rant]

Ichor said:

This will NEVER pass. Congress isnt that dumb. The DVD industry would wither and die almost overnight. VHS would come back in style (not that it was ever really out)

DooMBoy said:

As for me, I just stick with ordinary KaZaA.

Original Kazaa has way too many commerical craps once it starts loading.

Ichor said:

HA

No one woule but them unless they were sold 20 to the dollar. Not to mention what would happen to video rental stores. They would all go bust from it. Also, I own one DVD (well actualy one 2 DVD set) and I've watched it 3 times, on 3 different players. If it were equipped with that technology, I'd be forced to go over to my friend's house whenever I wanted to watch it.