Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Typing skillz

So, how good are your typing skillz0rs? I think I'm pretty good at typing...I've only been doing it since fifth grade. As for some people (gatewatcher, RailGunner, anyone? :), I think their spelling, capitilization, spelling, punctuation, and grammar pretty much speak for themselves. :)

Lately I've became a shyt tiper ™. I used to manage 65 wpm with 95% accuracy before though, I should really switch to dvorak.

I took typinglessons. They've helped me improve my typingspeed A LOT. I'm happy my mom forced me to do it back then :) I think I can go up to about 120 words per minute..

Last time i checked it was about 70-odd wpm. That was 3 years ago, and i haven't been arsed to test it again.

I'm the best freaking typer-English skills in all of Doomworld forum. I can always manage much 80WPM well without much errors. What's the point in doing Dvorak when it takes to 5 years just to be used to it?

I'm sorry but nobody beats my English skills; hands down.

AndrewB said:

(Score:-1, Flamebait)

I had to take typing classes in grade school. Didn't really help. I only really learned how to type when I started online. I can't touch-type, but I'm pretty accurate and spell pretty well. I've never bothered to clock my wpm, tho.

DooMBoy said:
So, how good are your typing skillz0rs(What's skillz0rs?)? I think I'm pretty good (you wear makeup while at the keyboard?) at typing...I've only been doing it since fifth grade.(you must be tired) As for some people (gatewatcher, RailGunner, anyone? :), I think their spelling, capitilization, spelling(repeating yourself now) , punctuation, and grammar pretty much (again with the makeup?)speak for themselves. :) [/B]

Your skills leave things to be desired.

AndrewB said:

What's the point in doing Dvorak when it takes to 5 years just to be used to it?

From what I've heard, you can type faster and more comfortably. The most common keys are within easy reach and you can reach them quickly and easily, unlike the qwerty layout which was designed to do the opposite (slow typers down)

fraggle said:

From what I've heard, you can type faster and more comfortably. The most common keys are within easy reach and you can reach them quickly and easily, unlike the qwerty layout which was designed to do the opposite (slow typers down)

Yes that's why I tried switching to it a few weeks ago, but when I rearranged the keyboard I noticed some of the keys were a bit higher up than others. So pretty much the whole keyboard was a mess and felt too uncomfortable to type on.

lament said:

Don't rearrange the keys. Simply learn to type without looking at the keyboard.

Yup, that's what I did at first, but then I realized what a dumbass I am when it was time for me to type in my password so that windows would let me in. Can't print the layout out, and too lazy to write it down. I'll just wait untill I get a new keyboard.

fodders said:

Your skills leave things to be desired.

Speak for yourself, you old codger, half the time you don't put any punctuation where it's needed. :)

AndrewB said:

I'm the best freaking typer-English skills in all of Doomworld forum. I can always manage much 80WPM well without much errors. What's the point in doing Dvorak when it takes to 5 years just to be used to it?

I've hit 112 before, usually around 70-80 though with not too many errors and not looking at the screen. I generally only type really fast when I need to. Your english is probably better than mine though, I can get pretty lazy about grammar sometimes.

Which pisses me off cause I've been typing since I was 9, in second grade, and since there weren't any such things as keyboarding class and typing programs, I learned to type on my own and don't use the home row bullshit, rather I do my own unorthodox method and it works pretty well for me.

But then when I got to 9th grade computer applications class, my bitchass teacher decided that I needed to learn how to do it "the right way," even though I was easily the best typist in the class and I was much better than she was. So she gave me all C's because she hated me and I refused to type using the home row crappage.

I don't know how fast I can type. I do know it's not all that fast though. Under 40 WPM is my best guess.

fraggle said:

From what I've heard, you can type faster and more comfortably.

How can you type faster and more comfortably when the QWERTY layout is tattooed to your brain from over 10 years of regular use? I can touch-type, and I can't imagine it taking less than 5 years of using Dvorak to actually attain the level of speed that I/you/we had with QWERTY.

How pressed for time are we, anyway?

If you can already type well using QWERTY then I'd say don't bother switching to Dvorak. Fraggle is correct though about QWERTY being used to slow typists down. In the old days of mechanical typewriters it was implemented to keep the keys from jamming when typing speeds got too fast.

I'm about up to 80 words per minute.

EDIT: Oh shit, my bad. I meant 80 letters per minute. Heh.

Also, I'm trying to work on not looking at the keys as I type. Heh.

DooMBoy said:

Speak for yourself, you old codger, half the time you don't put any punctuation where it's needed. :)

Punctuation is a place to breathe, I breathe less often.

I'd like to try switching to dvorak but I don't think you can buy any of those around here.

I've read on lots of Internet pages that it takes less than a month to learn dvorak even if you have been using qwerty for a long time, and you'll then be even faster with dvorak.

I also think dvorak reduces the danger of injury from lots of typing.

Fredrik said:

I'd like to try switching to dvorak but I don't think you can buy any of those around here.

You don't need to buy a keyboard. You can change the layout in Windows settings. Then print out the image that fodders posted. Then learn to type.

AndrewB said:

How can you type faster and more comfortably when the QWERTY layout is tattooed to your brain from over 10 years of regular use? I can touch-type, and I can't imagine it taking less than 5 years of using Dvorak to actually attain the level of speed that I/you/we had with QWERTY.

How pressed for time are we, anyway?

First of all, some objective proof of Dvorak kicking QWERTY's ass:

~ > egrep '^[aoeuipyqjkx]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l

~ > egrep '^[fgcrldhtnsbmwvz]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l

~ > egrep '^[qwertasdfgzxcvb]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l

~ > egrep '^[yuiophjklnm]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l

~ > egrep '^[aoeuidhtns]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l

~ > egrep '^[asdfghjkl]*$' /usr/dict/words | wc -l
Ok, now what all that code means:

On Dvorak, 53 English words (at least those I have in /usr/dict/words, which is a pretty good vocabulary) can be typed using the left hand only, and 0 using the right hand only.

On QWERTY, 1302 words can be typed using the left hand only, and 139 using the right hand only.

On Dvorak, 950 words can be typed without moving the fingers off the home row. On QWERTY, only 58.

Ok. The fact that many words can be typed with one hand on QWERTY is bad - it means the keyboard is not balanced. The number of words you can type with one hand on Dvorak is much less.

On the other hand, on Dvorak you can type much more words in the home row. This is obviously good, as it requires less finger movement. Many often-used words are in that list of 950 - words like a, the, that, it, is, this, I. On QWERTY, only 58 words can be typed on the home row, none of them much useful.

Now about the "tattoed to your brain" thingie. That is pure bullshit. You relearn habits in approximately four weeks - that's just how human brain works. Besides, you don't just remember the layout, you remember all the unconscious shit about how to place the fingers properly one after another, etc, and all that doesn't change when you switch to Dvorak. I.e. if you are a good typist on QWERTY, you will be good on Dvorak, too.

Meh.