• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

New pistol

MrFlibble said:

Is that because of the gloves issue?

Not necessarily. Doctor_Nick claims my hands are "girly". :/

One thing I've noticed though is that the pixels that constitute the front sight tend to blend with the grey or generally dark floor colours, making an impression that the sight is only one pixel tall and not centred:

The left and right parts of the sight variously blend in with the floor depending on its colour and illumination, producing this effect. The shotgun does not have this problem, even though it uses a similar colour range (presumably because the front sight is wider):

The front sight of the Doom's pistol has a similar shape, but the pixels are arranged differently, avoiding such an effect. Specifically, the four pixels that constitute the front sight all have different colours, which might have a role in this.

The new sight is excellent, thanks! :) The whole sprite is a great improvement as well.

The new shape of the barrel reminded me of some kind of machinegun for some reason.

Sodaholic said:

Not necessarily. Doctor_Nick claims my hands are "girly". :/

The more I play with it, the more I like it. my main concern was the hands being consistent with the other sprites, but that isn't a big issue. If you submit it again, i'll accept it.

I've just noticed that the latest version hasn't been submitted yet. I would really love it to be in the game, now that there are no objections to its inclusion.

Though I still like the current ones for some reason. I would not mind have this one implemented. I'll just keep a small wad of the old one on the side for other usage.

SuperSomariDX said:

I'll just keep a small wad of the old one on the side for other usage.

BTW, Minigunner did some edits of Scuba Steve's pistol, found here, but I think these weren't committed to Freedoom.

Very nice sprite. Looks cool. I can't wait until it's merged into the project. I am sick of the silver pistol.

IMHO, I prefer the current pistol. Not that this is bad (quite the opposite), but I think the current pistol has the best sprites of the weapons in Freedoom. It feels like a waste to replace it. My only problem with the current is that it looks out of place because it's the only weapon as shiny as it, but that can be edited. I don't think it needs outright replaced.

I would love to see this photo-style applied to the SSG and above*, though!

EDIT: ...when did Freedoom get new SSG and RL sprites? :V

That new pistol is great, and while I like the current one, it looks kinda stretched and also doesn't fit the other weapon sprites too well. Plus, the new one has that original feel too it, which imo is always welcome to differentiate FreeDoom from it's parent-game.

I'm a little bit surprised that the pistol is not in the game yet. Any chance it will be contributed soon?

Guest Unregistered account

The original pistol felt slim, which (and this is just for me) made it seem easier to place accurate shots with from afar, but the sound just seemed more "beefy".

The new one retains that slim feel, but fits with the sound somehow (maybe the angle, getting wider the closer it is?).

I know I'm overthinking it a bit, but it's the little things. I hope this gets contributed, it's very well-done.

Sodaholic said:
MrFlibble said:

Why hasn't it been contributed yet?

Because the maintainers don't like my hands, despite them being in the shotgun sprite.

If we vote, will it change something?

I think at this point the only reason it's not in is because the maintainers haven't been too active.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone, glad you guys like it. :)

Sodaholic said:

I think at this point the only reason it's not in is because the maintainers haven't been too active.

You mean there's a pending pull request (or whatever it's called)?

BTW, am I the only person to have concerns that old assets seem to no longer end up in the attic?

TBH, I actually don't like this pistol.

IMO it looks too... flat.

Edit: its grown on me. I like it. Hopefully, i can get all the sprites of the weapon and commit them.

raymoohawk said:

the freedoom protagonist is not a marine, and this game is already not realistic

then what is he? why is he wearing the armor? and why is he in the AGM facilities?

raymoohawk said:

he's a freedom fighter and he's fighting AGM

... then where are the monsters from? what is the AGM corporation? and why did he start off in a base on another planet / moon? just give me a brief story... also i miss the original freedoom fighter face sprite *the one when he was blonde with a goatee*

nice pistol dude. it suits the theme of FreeDooM and i think it should be added

TIPS FOR THE FREEDOOM DEVELOPERS *there needs to be new shotgun and pistol sound effects. you've had those sounds for a long time and they need to be changed*