Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maz Hades

New STF faces (bearded badass and tough babe)

He looks like Kenshiro with beard. But do soldiers wear beards? Or is he not a soldier, just a local civilian who happens to be extraordinary in armed combat?

It's a "fuck you AGM I'm a real man" beard. They have such sloppy soldier checkups that they don't even require the removal of the helmet.

He's a tough boy

printz said:

But do soldiers wear beards?

It depends, but yes it's possible to have him, if a soldier, belong to a unit where facial hair is accepted.

IDK, feels too burly, like a caveman.
Not saying its bad, just not suitable.

How about lowering the amount of hair?
Oh, you should remove the neck part. Feels weird.

Overall, nice!

I think the new face is great for at least the following reasons:

• it's done with a lot of artistic skill,
  • it has character/attitude, and a lot of it,
  • it is decidedly different from the Doom status bar face.

Voros said:

IDK, feels too burly, like a caveman.
Not saying its bad, just not suitable.

How about lowering the amount of hair?
Oh, you should remove the neck part. Feels weird.

Why shouldn't the character have a lot of hair, or be muscular? As for the neck, I suppose that it only feels "weird" because it's different from Doom. But in Wolfenstein 3-D, B.J.'s status bar face also shows the neck.

Maz Hades said:

(btw freedoom guy's unofficial name is Kulak)

Kulak is in Russian 'fist' or Turkish 'ear'? Or both? ;)

MrFlibble said:

Kulak is in Russian 'fist' or Turkish 'ear'? Or both? ;)

I guess both of them.
Because... well:

He punchin'
@
He hearin'
@
He killin'

He's partially named after the scapegoats of the sadly misguided communist regime in the mid 1900's, in which anyone with "more than they should have" (even if it was due to their own hard work) was called a "Kulak" (literally, "fist", but in this case meaning "tight-fisted"). They were Russia's equivalent of Jews.
He's also called fist because Ken = Fist, Kulak = Fist :D

While having freedoom guy look like Karl was appropriate, is it not infinitely better basing him on the flawless lead character of an actually good movie?
(and book series, and cartoon show)

If this becomes the new status bar face (and I would be happy if it did), the former status bar face would work well in a FreeWolf based on ECWolf.

I like it.

However, I believe the pain picture facing straight should have his eyes open. Because if you hold down the fire key, his eyes are closed while he is firing.

Kind of looks like a depression beard to me.

Just my own thought: what if it was a shorter beard, perhaps even with a couple grey lines?

Grey streaks don't show up well at that size. I wasn't sure if you meant shorter individual hairs or shorter overall length, so I tried doing both, and it just looks a bit bleh.

I actually think it's an improvement. Shows more detail, and potentially has been growing for less time (looks like he had a goatee but lack of shaving caused the rest of it to fill in...).

On second thought, this is very cool if I think of it as "shit happens AGM".

The next Freedoom version will definitely have this!

Oh, why does that screenshot have so many fists? Is it a pwad? If so, the link?

It was just a mockup to test the face, but I could easily make it as an actual weapon.
I'd prefer it if he keeps his beard the length it is, proper beards are more handsome ;) But the grey streaks would be a nice addition. The only problem is I'd have to redo all the damaged frames, and I ain't doin that lol

The Anime Powerup, serves as a chainsaw replacement. Sound effect: "AH TATATATATA"

Maz Hades said:

He's partially named after the scapegoats of the sadly misguided communist regime in the mid 1900's, in which anyone with "more than they should have" (even if it was due to their own hard work) was called a "Kulak" (literally, "fist", but in this case meaning "tight-fisted").

Hey, I wanted to say that calling a person a kulak makes me think of collectivization first and foremost. But I did not realise that this was an intended reference on your part :)

Maz Hades said:

I'd prefer it if he keeps his beard the length it is

I also like the original version, let's keep it like that.

raymoohawk said:

also freedoom guy should not be a soldier

Who is freedom guy then? A housewife? How did she got training to use complicated weaponry and enough strength to carry it?