Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Be aware that RandomJump is a MBF-specific codepointer, so that your wad would have to be at least MBF compatible (-complevel 11 in PrBoom-plus).

Is there a way to list unused flats in a wad file? I know xWe can list unused textures. If I knew which custom flats among 300+ weren't being used I could either make a point of using them somewhere or removing. Not seeing any way of doing this in Slade. Hmmm.

In SLADE3: Archive -> Maintenance -> Remove unused flats. It first lists them and let you confirm the action. If you merely want to see them listed without removing them, just click Cancel after you view the list.

scifista42 said:

In SLADE3: Archive -> Maintenance -> Remove unused flats. It first lists them and let you confirm the action. If you merely want to see them listed without removing them, just click Cancel after you view the list.

Oh you taught me something as well, Thanks!

On the topic of flats. When i made some of my own textures I had to do some editing and stuff to a Texture1 file or something...not sure what I did but I got it to work. When I try to import flats, there isn't a flat1 file to do this. Is there something I am missing? If I don't need to edit any file, couldn't I just make flats only and use them as textures in UDMF? I know Ill be limited to 64x64 but for these textures, the size doens't matter.

Flats work differently - in fact, more simply. They only need to be put in between flat markers: F_START and F_END. (Only the F_END marker is mandatory. Including F_START into a PWAD actually breaks vanilla engine, if I remember correctly.)

Also, since you just mentioned UDMF, you're probably editing for ZDoom. In that case you can put your textures in between TX_START and TX_END markers. Those work like the flat markers, but they are for non-flat-format graphics.

Well that will make things a lot easier. Ill just do that. Editing for GZDoom (UDMF) btw.

As for the vanilla engine, that broke many maps ago lol. I think it started when I used a flat as a texture or vice versa.

If you map with a "(G)ZDoom-something" editor configuration, the editor will let you mix walltextures with flats, which in turn prevents vanilla compatibility, yes. That's why there are editor configurations called "Doom 2" and "Boom", which are intended for vanilla and Boom mapping respectively, and then the editor won't even show you flats when applying a walltexture and vice versa.

lol that's really funny.

I'm not sure what causes that, but I think you can get rid of it entirely by just making the door its own sector, instead of parallel with the brown96 texture.

Like this:

BBBBBB

DDDDDD

DDDDDD

BBBBBB

Instead of this:

BBBBBB+DDDDDD

BBBBBB+DDDDDD

Hopefully that makes sense.

Did you use a mid texture for the door?

Paulo said:

I'm having some trouble with this little door: when it's close it's okay, when I open it too, but when it closes... I made a gif to show.

That's really ingenious actually :D can you link the wad please or explain how you did it?? :)

Paulo said:

I'm having some trouble with this little door: when it's close it's okay, when I open it too, but when it closes... I made a gif to show.

This door is clearly perfect. Never change it.

Paulo said:

http://i.imgur.com/YlWWrjU.webm
http://i.imgur.com/YlWWrjU.gif

I love that effect. It'd be perfect for a trollmap like in WOOO 3. Make it a door that can be opened only once, and give it a closing sound of a child going "nyah nyah nyah!"

And yes it looks like you built your door wrong and used the middle texture. The door texture should be on the upper texture, the middle texture should be empty, and when the door is closed it should have a ceiling height at the same level as the floor height. Also, don't forget to put the "lower unpegged" flag on the door tracks (the sides of the door that are against the walls).

Is there an ACS command to set an actor's specific sprite or animation sequence? There is a Brutal Doom specific animation I want to trigger. Which is;
(It's a Zombieman Rolling either left or right)

Spoiler

Pain.Avoid:
TNT1 A 0
TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(255, "AvoidLeft", "AvoidRight")
Goto AvoidLeft

AvoidLeft:
SPOS A 1 A_FaceTarget
TNT1 A 0 ThrustThing(angle*256/360+192, 15, 0, 0)
ZRO4 ABCDEFGH 2 A_FaceTarget
Goto Missile

If this was an inventory item I could simply use "GiveActorInventory (tid, "Avoidleft", 1); just like in his Fatalities, however it is not the case. After some research I discovered ZRO4 ABCDEFGH is the sprite sequence I'm looking for. But I just can't seem to force it with an ACS script.

For the life of me I can't seem to find anything appropriate in the wiki or google searching.

rdwpa said:

lol that's really funny.

I'm not sure what causes that, but I think you can get rid of it entirely by just making the door its own sector, instead of parallel with the brown96 texture.

Like this:

BBBBBB

DDDDDD

DDDDDD

BBBBBB

Instead of this:

BBBBBB+DDDDDD

BBBBBB+DDDDDD

Hopefully that makes sense.

Did you use a mid texture for the door?

I think it's already it's own sector. I wanted to make a little door with the size of the texture (72 height I think), because if I make it as the size of room the texture is repeated throughout the size of the wall. I'm missing something here...

gaspe said:

That's really ingenious actually :D can you link the wad please or explain how you did it?? :)

Gez said:

I love that effect. It'd be perfect for a trollmap like in WOOO 3. Make it a door that can be opened only once, and give it a closing sound of a child going "nyah nyah nyah!"

And yes it looks like you built your door wrong and used the middle texture. The door texture should be on the upper texture, the middle texture should be empty, and when the door is closed it should have a ceiling height at the same level as the floor height. Also, don't forget to put the "lower unpegged" flag on the door tracks (the sides of the door that are against the walls).

http://www.wikisend.com/download/751034/map.wad

I got a door with the size of the room working, but I can't make this one work. If you see what's wrong then please explain it to me. I had Doom Builder installed for some time on my PC waiting me to make some levels. Then I downloaded a golf game and made two levels and with Romero's new E1M8 I decided to mess with Doom Builder. I search on Google when I'm trying to do something and I don't know how, and I saw a door tutorial but I couldn't find one about what I'm trying to do.

Paulo said:

I got a door with the size of the room working, but I can't make this one work. If you see what's wrong then please explain it to me.

It's exactly as Gez said: You've used a middle texture rather than the upper texture, and the ceiling isn't at the floor. Doors work by moving the ceiling to the nearest adjacent ceiling, so they usually have 0 height (at the floor) and use the upper textures for the actual texture, along with no middle texture and the insides of the door marked as lower unpegged to keep them from moving. You also didn't need to flag the insides with the line action, and usually want to avoid it to prevent map squats.

Here is a map with these adjustments.

I have been replacing a couple of sounds for my WAD such as the Plasma Gun firing sound but i'm having an issue when testing them in Pr-Boom+ and GL-Boom+ (they work fine in Zandronum). When the sounds are triggered in game, a horrible distorted mess is played.

I bounced all the audio down to 8-bit, mono and 22050hz, as well as converting them to Doom format in Slade 3. Is there something i'm missing here?

Thanks

The sequence of steps you've performed sounds alright, assuming that the sound lumps actually became labeled as "Doom format" after you converted them. But what you describe as a "horrible distorted mess" is a typical consequence of trying to play a sound which isn't actually in Doom format. Make sure you saved the wad after converting the sounds to Doom format. Make sure the sounds aren't put between any special markers such as sprite markers or among map-specific lumps. Make sure there are no other lumps with identical names as the Doom format sound lumps after them. Otherwise I have no idea if it's even possible that the conversion could have failed without SLADE3 detecting it.

Well, as far as I know ive checked all those boxes and Slade isn't giving me any errors upon converting them. Here's a picture of the sequence, and there are definitely no other lumps of the same name.

http://imgur.com/jmQrBi6

On a side note, is there a reason the link is broken when I try to use the IMG code?

I don't know then, sorry.

And for img tags: They only work with direct links, not with links to a page that displays a picture along with imgur's menus and ads and stuff. The direct link for your image is:

http://i.imgur.com/jmQrBi6.png
Spoiler

No problem, thanks for looking into it though. If it need be ill release two versions I guess, one with and one without.

Ahhh that makes sense :S

Edward850 said:

It's exactly as Gez said: You've used a middle texture rather than the upper texture, and the ceiling isn't at the floor. Doors work by moving the ceiling to the nearest adjacent ceiling, so they usually have 0 height (at the floor) and use the upper textures for the actual texture, along with no middle texture and the insides of the door marked as lower unpegged to keep them from moving. You also didn't need to flag the insides with the line action, and usually want to avoid it to prevent map squats.

Here is a map with these adjustments.

Made it work, thank you (and everyone that gave me a hand)!

Now, another question: how do I make actions 2, 3 and 4 work? I was trying to make a secret floor with a door that opens and closes forever, and I got it working by fliping the inside linedefs so the door couldn't open by inside, but I thought those actions would be useful to do it.

Rightio lads, I need some help with a custom teleporter I'm working on. Originally I asked if this was possible a few months back and scifista replied with this:

"This solution is for ZDoom-based ports only: Adding custom sounds is possible via ZDoom's SNDINFO. In order to teleport monsters with a custom sound,
you would have to create a custom teleport fog actor via DECORATE and make it play the custom sound upon being spawned. Then make sure to design your
maps so that monsters will always be teleported by a different line action than players (you can do it by assigning activation type: Monster activated
vs. Player activated). Players can be teleported via normal Teleport action, while monsters should be teleported via a script that calls Teleport_NoFog
and spawns your custom teleport fog onto the teleported monster (both before and after teleportation, so that the fog appears on both sides of the teleport)."

So now I'm doing just that; but I've run into a problem. The sound I've assigned it won't play:

DECORATE:

actor MonsterTeleport 10302
{
  +FloorClip
  Height 0
  Radius 0
  States
  {
  Spawn:
  TFOG A 6 A_PlaySound("MonsterTeleport",0,100,0,0)
  TFOG B 6 
  TFOG C 6
  TFOG D 6 
  TFOG E 6
  TFOG F 6
  TFOG G 6
  TFOG H 6
  TFOG I 6
  TFOG J 6
  TFOG K -1
  }
}
SNDINFO:
MonsterTeleport MTELE
The sound won't play at all; everything else works superbly (except that it has gravity, would like to know how to stop it from falling too please). Running on gzdoom. Any help would be much appreciated.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/73k55ld28dflvcp/Monster%20Teleport.wad?dl=0

Summon is "MonsterTeleport" without the quotes.

Try:

{
  +FloorClip
  Height 0
  Radius 0
  States
  {
  Spawn:
  TFOG A 0 
  TFOG B 6 
  TFOG C 6
  TFOG D 6 
  TFOG E 6
  TFOG F 6
  TFOG G 6
  TFOG H 6
  TFOG I 6
  TFOG J 6
  TFOG K -1
  }
}
For the explanation, see this.

Gez said:

Try:

{
  +FloorClip
  Height 0
  Radius 0
  States
  {
  Spawn:
  TFOG A 0 
  TFOG B 6 
  TFOG C 6
  TFOG D 6 
  TFOG E 6
  TFOG F 6
  TFOG G 6
  TFOG H 6
  TFOG I 6
  TFOG J 6
  TFOG K -1
  }
}
For the explanation, see this.

Holy shit! Thank you so much! Works perfectly! I'm still new to decorate and the like so I'm sorry if this was a simple mistake; I mostly learned by looking at other monster and prop WADS I downloaded.

Sorry; but I've run into another problem. Everything works but the volume is extremely low. I've tried setting it to 1.0, 2.0, 255 etc. but it seems to make no difference. I'm using the decorate Gez posted and the only thing I've changed is I've set the attenuation to ATTN_NORM