Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

lol this thread should be renamed to: Ask Gez and scifista42 an editing question

AwesomeO-789 said:

Holy shit! Thank you so much! Works perfectly! I'm still new to decorate and the like so I'm sorry if this was a simple mistake; I mostly learned by looking at other monster and prop WADS I downloaded.

The mistake is simple, but easy to do because, really, it's not an intuitive behavior that Doom wouldn't run the codepointer of the first state of an actor. Unfortunately, we're about 22 years too late to change this now...

AwesomeO-789 said:

Sorry; but I've run into another problem. Everything works but the volume is extremely low. I've tried setting it to 1.0, 2.0, 255 etc. but it seems to make no difference. I'm using the decorate Gez posted and the only thing I've changed is I've set the attenuation to ATTN_NORM

1.0 should work: A_PlaySound.
If you give a value without a decimal point, it'll be divided by 65536, so 100 or 255 are ridiculously small. And any value greater than 1.0 (or 65536) will be ignored.

actor MonsterTeleport 10302
{
  +FloorClip
  Height 0
  Radius 0
  States
  {
  Spawn:
  TFOG A 0 
  TFOG A 6 A_PlaySound("MonsterTeleport", 0, 1.0, 0, ATTN_NORM)
  TFOG BCDEFGHIJ 6 
  TFOG K -1
  }
}

Gez said:

If you give a value without a decimal point, it'll be divided by 65536, so 100 or 255 are ridiculously small.

That's only ACS. Decorate knows what the resulting variable type is, so 1 and 1.0 are the same thing (incidentally, that means he was setting it to 100.0, which who knows how that'll come out).

If the sound is still too quiet after setting it to full volume, it's likely the sound itself is and needs to be properly balanced.

How is this thread not pinned? I know this is something for the mods to decide, but this is very useful for potential n00bs newcomers.

Isn't the whole sub-forum meant to address this?
I think it helps with organizations for different questions/issues to be broken out into their own threads so you're not getting mixed up in other questions or issues.

So I am importing some Hexen/Heretic stuff into my new wad. The colors get really messed up. Right now I am just trying to stick with textures. Is there some setting I have in slade that is doing this? I guess it is trying to stick with the Doom pallete but it is nowhere near what the monster is....Blue isn't ORANGE!!! Thanks

Also, SNDINFO is what I need to for making the actors sounds right? I hope to figure it out for myself but I am sure ill be back!

EDIT: Also found something called DYnamic Light Things ... wish I used those before since it would of saved me 12 hours of doing sectors and gradients!

Zemini said:

So I am importing some Hexen/Heretic stuff into my new wad. The colors get really messed up. Right now I am just trying to stick with textures. Is there some setting I have in slade that is doing this? I guess it is trying to stick with the Doom pallete but it is nowhere near what the monster is....Blue isn't ORANGE!!! Thanks

Select the image and from the menu on top go on Graphic->Convert to.. below the image you can select the pallete of the original image (one the left) and the one that will be applied for the conversion (on the right).

Doom graphics do not contain their own palette, they use the PLAYPAL colors instead. Doom's PLAYPAL is completely different from Heretic's PLAYPAL, and Hexen's PLAYPAL is also completely different.

If you want to convert the graphics from one palette to another, SLADE can do that, you just have to ask. Select the Heretic graphics, then click on the "Convert GFX to..." button. On the palette chooser below the "Current Graphic" preview, select the appropriate palette (i.e. Heretic), and on the palette chooser below the "Converted Graphic" preview, choose the Doom palette. Then click "Convert All". Now do that again, but for the Hexen graphics, and using the Hexen palette instead of the Heretic one.

That was what I tried. I open Hexen.wad in slade, then I copy into a new wad and that is when I lose my colors. There must be some "Standard" Setting that I am not seeing but I will mess around with it when I get home. I am sure I can figure it out eventually thanks.

Slade in the tool bar (on the far right) has a menu called "Pallete" where you can select with which pallete view the images.

Use different nodebuilder(s) and hope one will work. Sorry to say, but even with current-day nodebuilders, a nodebuilder error or failure can happen potentially anytime (with a given map geometry unpleasant-enough to the nodebuilding algorithm) - and as Graf Zahl told me here, ZenNode in particular has imperfections. It the worst case, you will have to get rid of the ultra-thin sectors, I suppose.

About GZDoomBuilder:

I'd really appreciate a new feature that lets us change the color and saturation of a texture.

As is, I'm doing an awful lot of trips back and forth between the image software, DOOM resource editor, the level editor, and the game itself, in an attempt to finalize a custom look before the actual level editing can start.

I have a dumb GZDoom Builder question. I thought the editor pointed to tagged sectors with a nice line when you highlighted tagged lines. Am I going crazy? I recently switched from Doom Builder 2 so maybe my memory is busted because it no longer does that and I can't see any option for turning it off or on. I don't see why that would be removed. Weird.

*hits beer bottle*

GZDoom Builder is the successor of Doom Builder 2, not its precedessor as you've assumed. GZDoom Builder indeed has multiple advanced features that DB2 doesn't have.

EDIT: Wait, I must have misunderstood. So again, what exactly is the thing that's not like you'd expect? Are you talking about some difference between DB2 and GZDB, or between 2 different versions of GZDB?

I believe that is only when you highlight a sector that it will show you the linedef that it's tagged with. So it's still there but only in sector mode.

What gemini09 said. In GZDoom when you highlight a sector, it shows you the linedef(s) that it's tagged with or vice versa. I thought it used to show a line so you could more easily see where the tags were. Now it just highlights...

Doom Dude said:

In GZDoom [Builder] when you highlight a sector, it shows you the linedef(s) that it's tagged with or vice versa. I thought it used to show a line so you could more easily see where the tags were. Now it just highlights...

What do you mean by "now"? What did you change?

I switched editors. I went from Doom Builder 2 to GZDoom Builder. Other than that I didn't change anything. I dabbled with GZDoom Builder before so I'm assuming the feature itself changed but I'm not sure.

I use GZDoom Builder and it does indeed show an arrow pointing from a tagged linedef to sector and vice versa when you highlight one.

Oh thanks Linguica, I thought I was losing it. Maybe I have to do a reinstall.

[edit] I FOUND IT! There's a little button on the top menu bar called 'Toggle Event Lines' and mine was off. Yay. ;)

Doom Dude said:

Oh thanks Linguica, I thought I was losing it. Maybe I have to do a reinstall.

[edit] I FOUND IT! There's a little button on the top menu bar called 'Toggle Event Lines' and mine was off. Yay. ;)

omg I thought I broke my map or something because this happened too me as well a week or so ago. I must of pressed a key or something.

Yeah, this is something that drives me crazy about various editing software. There are numerous default keyboard shortcuts (many of them consisting of a single key press!) that are easy to press by accident (often without realizing it), they cause some really undesired change in global settings, and undoing the change may be really hard to figure out if I didn't remember what was the key I had pressed (or even when it had happened, maybe a day ago or whole months ago). I'd be glad if the editor would (upon my request) display a convenient list of all usable keyboard shortcuts and their functions - this list should be ordered by the shortcuts themselves and not by the functions like in Customize Controls Options, because I'm interested in the shortcuts more than the functions when I'm trying to figure out what could I have had accidentally pressed.

Full bright! Hated that too but I found out the B key turns it off. What would be even cooler is if the game could show the dynamic lighting effects within the editor. I am trying to decide if I want to use the dynamic lights or make sector gradients (ugh)

Zemini said:

What would be even cooler is if the game could show the dynamic lighting effects within the editor.

That's what GZDoomBuilder does (in visual mode), actually as one of the things why it was spinned off DB2 and named GZDoomBuilder in the first place.