Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaughingMan008

DOS SLIGE

Couldn't decide whether to mark this as question or dumb, so I'm pretty sure that means dumb. Does anybody have, or have a link to the DOS version of SLIGE? The site that its hosted on is long since dead and even the wayback machine can't help. Can find the various Windows builds elsewhere okay....

Anybody?

Thanks for reading my dumb question regardless.

"Members only". And bugmenot doesn't help :-/

Edit: NM, if you select another mirror it works. Wouldn't hurt to put it on some other file host, though.

Was SLIGE ever built for actual MS-DOS, and not simply as a "Win32 console application"? It wasn't unusual to still make DOS executables at that time for certain kinds of utlities and software, but I'd find it strange that the author consciousy moved to Windows from DOS during the relatively short SLIGE development lifetime.

Maes said:

Was SLIGE ever built for actual MS-DOS, and not simply as a "Win32 console application"? It wasn't unusual to still make DOS executables at that time for certain kinds of utlities and software, but I'd find it strange that the author consciousy moved to Windows from DOS during the relatively short SLIGE development lifetime.

From the readme:

Q. What is SLIGE?

A. SLIGE is an automatic level generator for DOOM and DOOM II.
When you run SLIGE, you get a file that (after passing it
through a blockmap generator like BSP) you can feed to DOOM
(or DOOM II) to get a brand-new level that no one's ever
played before. It runs in Windows95 and (I expect) Windows 98
and Windows NT, and I'm told it'll also run in Windows 3.1 with
WIN32 installed, whatever that means. The source is also available,
and it has been successfully compiled for DOS and Linux.

I've tried several slige sources and none of them enjoy DOS, including anything it seemed to be 'originally hosted' on ie. even the original tripod sites point towards a windows version (http://rayroy3.tripod.com/dc/doomcontrolss.htm). My guess is that it was especially rare, if it was even released at all.

Huh, that's weird. I always assumed it was primarily a DOS program but I guess I was wrong.

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to just compile it with DJGPP?

andrewj said:

You didn't try that link, eh?

It was an answer to fraggle's thought of compiling in DOS. The remark there confirms using the DJGPP compiler with no source modification.

http://www.doomworld.com/slige/other.shtml said:

I don't know of a Macintosh port, but I'm told that the DOS version works fine in the usual PC emulators.

Heh. That sure took me on a trip down memory lane. When development on the Mac (and many other platforms, for that matter) was an obscure and arcane art, and "PC-Mac" compatibility (or even Mac-Mac compatibiliy) passed through even more obscure paths.

Today, SLIGE would probably build just like the Linux versions on the Macs. But back then, pre-OSX, it was another story.

xttl said:

I got the source from archive.org.

I tried it with DJGPP in DOSBox. Works fine, too. Just took a few seconds to compile. And the resulting SLIGE.OUT can be dropped onto zdoom and works, too.

Since Slige is just a standard c program without any 3rd party stuff, it should work with any c compiler, no matter which OS it runs on. It should even work on systems not capable of running Doom.

Csonicgo said:

Why isn't SLIGE in the idgames archive? It needs to be there.

I hope anyone can put it there. Is author's permission needed explicitly? Did he NOT put a "you may distribute this" clause?

At any rate, someone should clone its source into Github or Bitbucket or whatever (again, if it's open source).

SLIGE has no explicit license, but the code comments make it fairly clear you can do things with the code.

I was doing some work on the code for a while, to make a version with GUI and built-in nodes builder. This was called "Slurp". E.g. I got the code to compile as C++, and added a simple APi which the GUI code would call to generate a wad.

Actually the Slurp code is still in the Eureka GIT repository, search for it in the logs if you are interested.

Sorry for bumping this thread after three months and seven days, but I happened to try using SLIGE today, and noticed it will not work in Win7, nor in DOSbox. I figured this thread would be the best place to inquire about it.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried recompiling the SLIGE source code to get it to work in the newer versions of Windows.

Sure. I can run it in my old XP machine when I have it set up, but it would be interesting to have a version that runs on my current machine.

That sligesrc from archive.org is version 485. His last release was 490, and you can find this one in xwadtools.
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/source/xwadtools-20010615.tar.gz

There's also a more recent xwadtools, where the new maintainer ripped out the DOS and other old OS stuff. But it's still same version of SLIGE as above.
http://code.google.com/p/xwadtools/

SLIGE author's Changelog is just this...
New stuff (since 485): -huge switch, fixed gate-to-gate-to-arena bug (not as elegantly as I could have!), RISCOS source mods from JF, -fstart -ffstart -fend -ffend switches, getenv() var for cfg filename, pillar gates, attempt at SPARC compatibility (tx to O. Kraus).

Boingo said:

Sorry for bumping this thread after three months and seven days, but I happened to try using SLIGE today, and noticed it will not work in Win7, nor in DOSbox.

Interesting. The only way I imagine this happening is if the executable you're using was compiled as a Win16 (!) application: DOSBox cannot run Windows applications, period, and Windows 7 (the 64-bit version, at least) cannot run 16-bit Windows applications. If you happen to own the elusive pure DOS version of SLIGE, that will also not work with any 64-bit version of Windows (32-bit ones, including XP, Vista and 7 might run it directly but throw several warnings. DOSBOX should have run that without problems, though.)

Unless it's a plain old Win32 application and you can get it to run by fudging enough with compatibility settings.

Edit: well, I tried to run the version of SLIGE found here, and it ran just fine on Windows 7 64-bit, so none of the above is the case. Exactly what do you mean with "it will not work"?

Maes said:

DOSBox cannot run Windows applications, period

What about HX-DOS Expander? Or actual Windows 3.1 or 9x? DOSBox can run Windows applications...just not out of the box.

I might have missed some developments, but I remember that DOSBox's documentation was explicit about not supporting Windows (any version). Something to do with how the memory space, DOS itself, switching between CPU modes and MMU were (not) properly emulated, but just enough to get pure DOS games running.

Now, there are videos such as this:

https://youtu.be/RBZIZI2ij1s

which allegedly show someone booting Windows 95 from DOSBox and playing a bunch of games, but all the games shown are pure DOS games (ancient ones at that), and not e.g. something like Sega's Daytona USA or Virtua Cop, not even some of those transitional "dual OS" games that worked in both DOS and Win95.

I'd thus take that vid with a pinch of salt. If it's not outright fake, then Windows must be running in a crippled mode of sorts.

Windows 3 works in dosbox. I installed it just for the hell of it, and also to play some Win16 games (like Castle of the Winds). I also went looking for that Space Cadet pinball game, since there's supposed to be a Win16 version, but I didn't find it. Also tried some Doom editors, some worked and others didn't (or maybe they just crashed, can't remember).
Overall it's just a waste though, so I got rid of all that. DOS is enough to play most old games of that era.

hex11 said:

Windows 3 works in dosbox. I installed it just for the hell of it, and also to play some Win16 games (like Castle of the Winds). I also went looking for that Space Cadet pinball game, since there's supposed to be a Win16 version, but I didn't find it.

What you're looking for is probably the commercial version, Full Tilt! Pinball by Cinematronics and Maxis. IIRC, that should install on a 16-bit Windows.

Well I just played episode 1 of SLIGE megawad #4418129, and there was some cool stuff in there. E1M3 strafe jump off the lift onto the teleporter (bypasses a small "mandatory" quest for the switch to lower that teleporter). A real, actual pyramid on E1M7. And the final computer arena looked pretty cool too (would have been better with a spiderboss though).
I didn't do anything special to generate it, just the regular stuff (slige -levels 27 && bsp slige.out).
Oddly enough, trying to replicate this exact megawad with "slige -levels 27 -seed 4418129" doesn't work (it gave me an entirely different set of levels). It looks like you instead have to generate every level individually, like:
alige -seed 4418129
slige -seed 4418129 -E1M2
slige -seed 4418129 -E1M3
(etc.) which is kinda inconvenient. But I guess on the upside it means there's a much greater number of possible levels than just the seed number alone would indicate.
In case someone wants to try it, without going through all that:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/2bc0tw