Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

OK folks, just updated the second post so we have a list of who is interested in what episode. I'll be editing that post every could days to update project details.

Paul D said:

Paul D's midi dumpola post:

I appreciate this, dreamsong is quite nice. Here's hoping that somebody makes use of it!

Oh if we're linking previous compositions, I have a track here that I made for a Doom map that I eventually abandoned. I'm probably never going to get enough "orphan MIDIs" to release a pack of them, so I may as well donate this.

The Last Sunset
Written in April 2015, 6-minutes long with a pretty calm atmosphere. If anyone wants to use it, go ahead, just as long as it fits the map :>

EDIT: To clarify about my map slots, I fully intend on having something for E3, it's E2 that's a maybe.
Unless, that's a cheeky reference to me never finishing anything ;)

(Sorry for lying about the progress thing in the previous post!)
I'm going to make a Hell map, which will utilize some of the new techbase textures. The main idea is about a base that got teleported into and ravaged in Hell.

Gonna get to work immediately, reserve me a Hell slot please :)

I was thinking about a jungle map initially, but I just had some ideas earlier regarding a moon map. I'll probably make up a map in each setting and see which turns out better/more interesting.

Ven said:

(Sorry for lying about the progress thing in the previous post!)
I'm going to make a Hell map, which will utilize some of the new techbase textures. The main idea is about a base that got teleported into and ravaged in Hell.

Gonna get to work immediately, reserve me a Hell slot please :)

I had a very similar idea, except the notion is that the former humans went rogue and became more 'human-like' and tried to set up a base in hell. The rest of the more demonic hell denizens are warring with the formers, including encroaching with portals. Here's an example encounter from the beginning of my map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8QYGTqgs0&feature=youtu.be

I wonder if there's a way we can tweak it so that our ideas aren't too similar?

GET HYPED!

One Moon map slot, please.

Pretty excited to try my hand at Boom mapping, finally. Additionally, is there a rundown somewhere of exactly what the different comp levels include? My google-fu is too weak, it seems.

Krenium said:

I had a very similar idea, except the notion is that the former humans went rogue and became more 'human-like' and tried to set up a base in hell. The rest of the more demonic hell denizens are warring with the formers, including encroaching with portals. Here's an example encounter from the beginning of my map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8QYGTqgs0&feature=youtu.be

I wonder if there's a way we can tweak it so that our ideas aren't too similar?

I like your video, looks good! Really atmospheric, much better than what I have in mind. :P
Mine's gonna be more silver tech and a bit smaller scaled, although don't expect the gameplay to be a total cakewalk. Some ideas might clash a little bit but there's gonna be some differences. Hopefully I can post some notable progress on mine tomorrow.

Wanted to float an idea i've been sitting on for a while, that might work in this mapset... since the first episode is set in hell, why not a prologue-style Map 1 that is set in (or at the gates of) heaven, at the end of which the player 'dies' and thus descends to the depths for the remainder of the episode?

I haven't actually started on any mapping or anything, but wanted to run this idea first to see if it's actually worth my putting time into mapping some of this concept out to see how/if it would work ingame.

If not... fuck it, i'll just get mapping on something entirely different (and figure out what textures work best later). Gonna be pulling out all the stops for this!

Is there any procedure to get textures added to the official resource pack? I'm noticing some textures that would be useful for many people to have -- e.g. the non-tiling DOORSTOP, for one thing, and some of the CC4 recolors and flats and whatnot.

I do think the base is quite solid, so good job on that. I've never had so much ease putting together a workable texture scheme.

rdwpa said:

Is there any procedure to get textures added to the official resource pack? I'm noticing some textures that would be useful for many people to have -- e.g. the non-tiling DOORSTOP, for one thing, and some of the CC4 recolors and flats and whatnot.

We'll be following the same process that NOVA II went about with its custom texture inclusion.

Basically, include any textures you wish to add to your own wad file, but be sure to rename them to something unique so that I'm aware of who actually included the texture. The way we'll be handling this is by having each custom texture included by a mapper starting with the first two letters of that mapper's username: e.g., any skin textures I would include (if I made a map) would be AN_SKIN1, AN_SKIN2, etc. Any tech textures you wish to include would be RD_COMP1, RD_TEK1, or whatever else you think would be uniquely named and would never accidentally be a duplicated filename.

In the event of multiple mappers including the same custom textures, I would be able to find each use of it by each mapper, and replace them with the originally named texture once the project is ready for beta testing. :>

I'll be rewriting this to some extent and adding it to the OP once I'm not basically half-asleep. If anyone is not clear on how this will work, just ask me to clarify whatever needs clearing up.

Krenium said:

Here's an example encounter from the beginning of my map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8QYGTqgs0&feature=youtu.be

Goodness, you folks work fast!

I'll be looking to stream my playthroughs of any maps that are submitted to the thread, so as to give an actual gameplay experience to those who are wishing to see it. I'll also be giving advice on areas that may need touching up and what-not. I can't wait to see what you all make!

schwerpunk said:

Pretty excited to try my hand at Boom mapping, finally. Additionally, is there a rundown somewhere of exactly what the different comp levels include? My google-fu is too weak, it seems.

I don't particularly map with Boom all that often, and only really know how to make use of more extensive floor/ceiling changes. AD will most certainly be the better person to answer this, so I'm hoping he has something of use? :^)

scotty said:

Wanted to float an idea i've been sitting on for a while, that might work in this mapset... since the first episode is set in hell, why not a prologue-style Map 1 that is set in (or at the gates of) heaven, at the end of which the player 'dies' and thus descends to the depths for the remainder of the episode?

The best thing to do is probably to put together a quick proof of concept of what you're trying to do, so we can all see what you're aiming for. As long as everyone taking part in the project likes what you're doing then I'm not going to stop you!

Please take note, however, that any kind of gimmick map that is intended more for story/flavour purposes may take up a more standard map slot from another mapper, which would be a tad selfish. I'd want to make sure that everyone is on-board with such a map before including it in the final mapset!

an_mutt said:

Basically, include any textures you wish to add to your own wad file, but be sure to rename them to something unique so that I'm aware of who actually included the texture. The way we'll be handling this is by having each custom texture included by a mapper starting with the first two letters of that mapper's username: e.g., any skin textures I would include (if I made a map) would be AN_SKIN1, AN_SKIN2, etc. Any tech textures you wish to include would be RD_COMP1, RD_TEK1, or whatever else you think would be uniquely named and would never accidentally be a duplicated filename.

Cool. I'm assuming texture names with greater than eight characters will cause problems; I don't see a texture name longer than that.

If were using boom complevel-9, can we use a mapinfo lump like what whispers of satan and jenesis use?

This would give us more control over the skys that would appear on map rather than restrict to only three skys in the whole wad.

So apparently I started a map even though I said I won't. You can sign me to hell episode.

My proof of concept: an episode ending map with large portal leading to earth. To open the portal you need to press switches and kill things. And here is my question: should it end with death exit?

There's a problem. prBoom+ (latest version ofc) absolutely refuses to concurrently load the resource wad and acknowledge the textures included in the wad itself. Each works fine separately, but do both at the same time and one of the two gets ignored, and HOMs happen.

Adding textures to the resource wad would solve that problem -- but I could imagine it being very annoying for me to sort out at the end. (If you're fine with deleting the N3 resources from every wad that includes them before compiling, then problem solved, so let me know.)

Doing the bulk of testing in something like ZDoom, which can handle multiple resource wads easily, is not an option. Anything but that.

AnonimVio said:

My proof of concept: an episode ending map with large portal leading to earth. To open the portal you need to press switches and kill things.

Actually I was thinking of making the episode 2 ending map, with leaving the earth and going to the moon somehow (no other spoilers for now). It's really cool to have it for both the episodes, I was thinking to ask if it could be done before reading your post.

rdwpa said:

issues

Do you mean that the resource wad refuses to work concurrently with the textures you've added to your own wad file? I had the exact same issue in Nova II and that was discussed from here onwards, in case there's a fix mentioned there that may better help you! If this is what the issue is then by all means, it's probably best to add your own textures to the N3 resource wad. Just make sure you include them under their own index in your own resource pack, to make them easier for me to find. :V

Netherstorm said:

By the way, does the map have to be limit-removing only, or can it be ZDoom compatible?

Boom format is the highest you're allowed to go. Which means: Test your maps in PRBoom+ complevel 9, not ZDoom!

blueinferno776 said:

If were using boom complevel-9, can we use a mapinfo lump like what whispers of satan and jenesis use?

This would give us more control over the skys that would appear on map rather than restrict to only three skys in the whole wad.

Not necessary, seeing how complevel 9 allows for sky transfers. MAPINFO for that purpose is not needed.

Put me down for a E3/Moon map. Should have said so when I started working on a map, rather than half a day later after 5 more people decided on that episode. The resource pack just seems to lean towards that episode with the number of similarly styled textures compared to the hell or jungle textures in my opinion.

Started making a Moon map, I am getting more ideas already. I guess I'll stick with this, so I'll take a slot (EDIT: I see I'm already down for it anyway, so that's okay).

Are there any kinds of restrictions other than it being complevel -9 (it currently is, tested it in PRBOOM+)? I'm guessing being a third episode map anything is game in regards to monster and weapon usage?