Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

North Korea Claims Successful Hydrogen Bomb Test

Linguica said:

If North Korea actually built a functioning hydrogen bomb I will eat my hat

Could be a bluff. Btw, I like the ignore list feature you've got on here.

Kontra Kommando said:

Btw, I like the ignore list feature you've got on here.

Keep pushing, you "I only ever wanted to go back to the original discussion" you.

By reading the thread title, I hope you guys know that hydrogen is rather explosive (think Hindenburg!) and anything that explodes can be made into a bomb.

* me gets to work on a sawdust-fueled thermobaric bomb *

Clonehunter said:

We should settle our wars by pitting our nations' leaders against each other in boxing matches.

Since we're pitting one politician against another, I suggest do so by means that rely more on luck than skill, maybe a game of Russian Roulette?

GreyGhost said:

* me gets to work on a sawdust-fueled thermobaric bomb *

Since we're pitting one politician against another, I suggest do so by means that rely more on luck than skill, maybe a game of Russian Roulette?

Everything should come down to a 2 out of 3 of rock, paper, scissors. It's ideal for determining who is riding shotgun.

I wonder if NK are also doing these stunts just to distract intelligence so they waste their time and resources.

GhostlyDeath said:

By reading the thread title, I hope you guys know that hydrogen is rather explosive (think Hindenburg!) and anything that explodes can be made into a bomb.

The term "hydrogen bomb" in English is only used to refer to a thermonuclear weapon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermonuclear_weapon - a specific subcategory of nuclear bomb which requires significant engineering and is designed to use an initial fission reaction to set off an even more powerful fusion reaction. It doesn't refer to a balloon filled with hydrogen like, say, the Hindenburg, which certainly didn't level a 50 mile radius or EMP an entire continent when it blew up.

LittleInferno said:

How about a Caesium bomb? Heh, don't put it in water.

Or Francium bomb. F-Bomb. Hehe.

You do know Francium doesn't last very long for any good use.

And the C-bomb, would be to wasteful and expensive.

But I do like the sound of it: the F-BOMB.

Edit: the C-bomb uses water. It is going to take a hell lot of water to create a H-bomb equivalent.

Voros said:

You do know Francium doesn't last very long for any good use.

I just remembered that Francium's most stable isotope lasts only 22 minutes. D:

Voros said:

And the C-bomb, would be to wasteful and expensive.

no

LittleInferno said:

...Caesium bomb...

The practical term for this is "dirty bomb." The point of which isn't to cause physical damage, but to disperse deadly nuclear fallout. Caesium is a quite effective element for that in particular because certain isotopes have long half-lifes and the body readily absorbs it. Though, since concentrated radioactive Cs is going to be quite rare, most such devices are probably just going to consist of depleted uranium anyways and rely on its natural breakdown process to provide the rest of the spectrum of nasty elements.

We will now throw darts at a periodic table to decide a bomb to make, whether actually useful or not. Why not?

*Throws dart*

Technetium bomb, T Bomb, apparently.

It is the element with the lowest atomic number in the periodic table that has no stable isotopes: every form of it is radioactive.

Naturally occurring technetium occurs as a spontaneous fission product in uranium ore or by neutron capture in molybdenum ores.

Sounds better than expected, but then again, I never planned to major in Chemistry.

LittleInferno said:

We will now throw darts at a periodic table to decide a bomb to make, whether actually useful or not. Why not?

*Throws dart*

Technetium bomb, T Bomb, apparently.

It is the element with the lowest atomic number in the periodic table that has no stable isotopes: every form of it is radioactive.

Naturally occurring technetium occurs as a spontaneous fission product in uranium ore or by neutron capture in molybdenum ores.

Sounds better than expected, but then again, I never planned to major in Chemistry.

We already have the H-bomb.

Last thing we need is another bomb.

Plus, how much money and effort would be required just to get/produce it? And the support of the government? I don't think so. They have nuclear warheads/regular missiles. What more do they need?

Voros said:

We already have the H-bomb.

Last thing we need is another bomb.

Plus, how much money and effort would be required just to get/produce it? And the support of the government? I don't think so. They have nuclear warheads/regular missiles. What more do they need?

Somewhere in this vast universe are bound to be two starfaring races that came into contact with each other and hated each other so much they figured out the physics behind something even worse (say some kind of quantum effect that obliterates matter via use of exotic hadrons at Big Bang energy levels, for example) and used it on each other. If we survive long enough, we'll probably join the party.

Not to mention the simpler concept of the anti-matter weapon. Annihilation of matter/anti-matter releases pretty much 100% of the mass involved as energy, whereas nuclear fission is just a few of the weak force bonds being broken per nucleus involved. The practical issues are containment and getting enough of it in one place. Particle accelerators kind of solve both but not in a weaponized way.

Quasar said:

Particle accelerators kind of solve both but not in a weaponized way.

We just haven't found means to throw Switzerland at aliens yet.

What I find even funnier than the H-bomb lies is that NK is now bombing SK with propaganda leaflets, an act usually experienced in the opposite direction. Surely that will weaken the imperialist's chokehold on Korean people. "Ur president does it with Obama LOL!"

Quasar said:

Somewhere in this vast universe are bound to be two starfaring races that came into contact with each other and hated each other so much they figured out the physics behind something even worse (say some kind of quantum effect that obliterates matter via use of exotic hadrons at Big Bang energy levels, for example) and used it on each other. If we survive long enough, we'll probably join the party.

Not to mention the simpler concept of the anti-matter weapon. Annihilation of matter/anti-matter releases pretty much 100% of the mass involved as energy, whereas nuclear fission is just a few of the weak force bonds being broken per nucleus involved. The practical issues are containment and getting enough of it in one place. Particle accelerators kind of solve both but not in a weaponized way.

Cool, I wanna join galactic Hitler genocide too!