Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

A List of Gameplay Mods (Links Included!)

The following mods below are what we have gathered. Check them out!

Basically, a mod that adds/remove gameplay elements (such as reloading, AI, destructable things, etc.) that you don't see in Classic Doom, and is usually impossible to implement without sourceports.
NOTE
Only for Doom.
-Doom Registered
-The Ultimate Doom
-Doom II
-Final Doom
NOTE
-Any sourceport. As long as it changes the gameplay, directly or indirectly.
-It doesn't HAVE to be "pure"(no extra maps, textures etc). "Mixed" gameplay mods are also listed.

Edited by Voros

Demon Eclipse is my favorite Doom mod of all time. You should try it. Just make sure you get the latest version.

EDGE had a lot of them back in the days, the most famous being Immoral Conduct.

-Zharkov Goes to the Store (Jokey, still great)
-Parkour Mod
-Style Mod
-Necrodoom
-Super Chicken
-Possess Me

And therefore, self promotion time:
-DOOMVENGERS: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (fully playable, ridiculous, but not even close to done, i.e. not all mods implemented into the core files yet because author permission duh).

There really are so many it's not even funny, but there's a list of some of my personal favorites.

Voros said:

Does Batman count? That was more like a graphics wad.

Yes it counts because no it wasn't. Any wad with a DEHACKED modifies behaviour, and Batman certainly did.

There's Hard Doom too, which Complex Doom riped-off completely.
There's also Weapons of Saturn a fav of mine, Faspons, an enhanced WoS fork focusing on a more harder and faster gameplay, HXRTC Project, a custom WoS fork with plenty of enemies and weapons and a shoping drone.
There's DoomRL Arsenal, tons'o'weapons'n'enemies, with various classes, Trailblazer, Russian Overkill and Guncaster by PillowBlaster, worth checking, Samsara, Doomguy joins forces with other 90's FPS heroes and there's way too many more to list here.

Here are good gameplay mods you should put in your autoload (possibly simultaneously):
Shotguns
Fractal Doom
Comfy Doom
Extreme Weapon Pack

Jon said:

Yes it counts because no it wasn't. Any wad with a DEHACKED modifies behaviour, and Batman certainly did.

I wouldn't count Batman Doom or Demon Eclipse because they are not mere "gameplay mods", they are full-fledged conversions, the new or modified behavior is meant to go with new levels.

Granted there are a few oddities. Things like Pirate Doom or the Wolfenstein 3D TC are meant to be used either as their own thing or as a gameplay mod for normal Doom levels. But nevertheless I wouldn't count them anyway. You start this way and then everything which includes a little tweak here or there becomes a gameplay mod, even if it's Valiant, Strain, All Hell is Breaking Loose, or one of LWM's mods.

I'm only counting those that actually changes aspects of the game.

Wolf 3D TC doesn't really count, cause it is meant to be a Wolf 3D on GZDoom/Zandronum.

I'm talking about the features you don't find in vanilla Doom (no not jumping crouching etc. That'sfrom the sourceport).
I mean like reloading from Brutal Doom, pressing "use" on "stunned" enemies in H-Doom, etc.

Adding new enemies, weapons, huds, sprites, textures, music and maps don't count. Unless associated with a new gameplay feature.

I added Demon Eclipse , since the wiki mentions it has a shotgun that that requires reloading (and I think the usage of an inventory too).

And let's not bring the Extreme Weapons Pack. That was only a weapons mod (with some kinks added).

I think you need to come up with a more descriptive term than "mod", if what you mean is quite so specific.

Edit: I guess you did say "gameplay mod" which is more specific.

There's my Contra Doom mod; you get to use Contra's weapons against monsters, but you die in one hit (unless you go into the options and enable a life meter), although you have extra lives.

There's also my Megabounce mod, which makes the world constantly shake and make everything (and I mean everything) bounce up and down. I need to give it an update one day.

Captain Ventris said:

Ah, Burl Tumd is also good fun.

I can't get it to work, there doesn't seem to be a exe dealie in the file I downloaded, what do I need to do to play it?

Is it really possible to list every Doom "gameplay mod" in existence?