Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What will you leave behind?

I was very concerned, when I was a bit younger, about what my legacy will be. This naive desire to reach some sort of legendary status, like my heroes. I thought about being dead, and how there will be a few people who will remember who I was and what I did, but eventually they'll forget, they'll die, and then no one will remember. I'm 30 and have no prospects of parenthood, so there's even less of a chance of being remembered. And I have to say this isn't really a big deal. My experiences have taught me that at the end of the road, there is a total dissolution of everything, and that whatever you leave behind here is inconsequential. Yet there are many people who are terrified of death, because it represents the obvious, which is that their influence and their sense of being, is finite. Do you feel this way? Do you think it's important to be remembered?

I'm leaving behind my band's album. I find it interesting considering how different I am compared to when we made it. The 21 year old me is still a raging maniac in our time, thanks to the internet.

Also, I hope some of my Doom mods will still be appreciated when I'm dead.

I dunno...

If that what I'm thinking about will happen... well, I'll leave behind dust of dead planet. Yup, Earth will burn in lights oh Hell.

In optimistic perspective - some art, music that done by my sick imagination, also good legacy presented by my children.

Depends on insanity of 1%.

Most likely, I'd leave behind a corpse. People will probably waste this gift by burying it in the ground or burning it to ashes and stuffing them somewhere.

GoatLord said:

there are many people who are terrified of death, because it represents the obvious, which is that their influence and their sense of being, is finite. Do you feel this way? Do you think it's important to be remembered?

Well, I'm terrified of death for the eternal loss of sense of being (not so much loss of influence), and I would in fact prefer leaving nothing behind me and being forgotten forever then. (due to being terrified by the idea that things, directly or indirectly influenced by me, will be happening while I'll never be able to observe them)

If I was to die now my legacy would be unpublished short stories, unfinished Doom wads, a retarded Tumblr blog or three, and an awful deviantArt page. Outside of family and close friends, there won't be much of note.

The closer I reach to the end the more I will become concerned and probably hold onto faith.

The biggest achievement I want is to have a family of my own and raise my children well. If they grow to appreciate and love me and teach the same values to their children then I would have achieved something great, whether I know it or not.

Maybe the point is not to leave anything behind and exit the world as you entered it...

Most would say "then how the hell does that benefit the future of humanity?"

Maybe what benefits humanity is harmful to everything else.

Maybe in the grand scheme of things, whatever it is we leave behind is already forgotten to a universe(s) that considers our brief existence nothing more than the blink of an eye.

One thing is for sure though, we won't escape this alive. And try as we might, I doubt humanity will be around for the eons we think we will be. Maybe the point is "do whatever, as it doesn't really matter in the end."

Who knows. *shrugs*

Hopefully I'll get a few more doom maps out the door by the time I kick the nukage barrel. Maybe in the future some punk kids on some Mars colony will take to playing that olde Doom game and fire up my maps.

I really don't think there's anything at the end... just eternal nothingness, then the sun croaks and eventually the universe will collapse and shit itself out again.

I should write a novel. I have one in my head but I'm so damned lazy and dumb crap like the internet is a distraction. I have more paintings to create as well but my work space for art sucks. What I leave behind won't amount to much and if nobody remembers me then I'm not going to notice. No kids, not much money, a pile of books, too much music on vinyl, cassette and cd plus a boatload of movies on dvd and probably a bag of doritos in my desk.

The act of actually dying is quick, painless and you wont even know it happened there is no point in worrying about death because it happens in a split second, and believe me no one wants to live forever, when your 90 you've already lived and seen what you've wanted.

As for my legacy: Dont know, maybe i'll be remembered in my community for being nominated for a award for a comedic role in a dramatic production in high school? But i'm still young and have countless of years before I even think of dying.

I'm sorta indifferent to death. Both terrified and accepting of it at the same time. Terrified because I've never experienced nothingness before apart from pre-birth and obviously I have no recollection of that period. Accepting because I can't do jack shit about it. It's kinda scary to know that one day I'll just lose consciousness and won't even be able to dream. If death is just dreaming forever then I'd be okay with it but obviously that's not what happens. The weird thing is the nothingess I'll experience I won't actually experience. I won't exist anymore. I won't feel any presence of the universe. I won't be able to visualize anything or think about anything. As a human it's scary to think that I won't have a functioning brain; which is basically me and my consciousness. Me as a being will just kinda disappear.

What will I leave behind? Hopefully more than two decent Doom maps and a fan movie. Ever since I was little I was wanted to make movies and while my current project isn't what I imagined I'd be doing at this age I'm still making a movie. Sorta. If anyone's interested in what I'm talking about go to the creative works sub-forum and find Hitman Blood Money The Movie.

Some of my recent years' Doom contributions, I presume. But I hope I don't die soon. Most likely cause of my timely demise would be an accident, if not some sudden cancer. I'm leaving this message here just to creep you out if it really happens.

Doominator2 said:

The act of actually dying is quick, painless and you wont even know it happened there is no point in worrying about death because it happens in a split second, and believe me no one wants to live forever, when your 90 you've already lived and seen what you've wanted.

This sounds a lot like a canned reassuring speech.
- Have you talked to sane (but physically weak) 90 year old people? Did they really confirm you that they have lived enough already and are okay to die of age?
- Dunno, living forever doesn't sound that bad. The Universe is huge and it may take an immense time to explore it all. If I live forever then I have time to build a vehicle to explore lands away from Earth, so I don't get bored.

Leave a clone of me or leave my skeleton intact so that it can be reanimated.
But then again, stupid laws forbid human clonage, so i dunno how i'll leave a clone.

Friends and family, who will remember me with fondness until they themselves pass. I don't really have any desire to a lasting "legacy." I live in the now, and live my life with the aim to make myself and those around me happy.

I'd like to leave behind at least one old school style FPS game that kicks the shit outta every cookie cutter triple AAA game made. And is controversial, can't forget about that.

LittleInferno said:

Carbon.

Someone should give a title of "Chemistry Freak".

Oh. Me? I would leave behind a happy life for others...

darknation said:

REMEMBER MY NAME

I'll remember your dogshit story.
And whatever your real name.

You know, making doom mods slightly reminds me of making raw black metal, or hardcore punk. They paralleled by a DIY ethos, and have an appreciation for an old school way of doing stuff. Instead to being all about the highest-quality production; the character and experience of the content is what is valued most.

Na, I'm not worried about that. I hope my children remember the good things I'v taught them and will teach them before I die. I see it this way, I die and live on in afterlife, thus life(or my perceived reality) continues on in some strange way, or I rot in the ground and my perceived reality doesn't matter because it doesn't exist. What would be left of me would only be abstract(beside's my corpse that will rot for short time after death).

Nothing not even a corpse because I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered. From the nothingness I came and back to fuck all I will go. It's better to be completly erased from history than to be remembered as being average.

printz said:

- Have you talked to sane (but physically weak) 90 year old people? Did they really confirm you that they have lived enough already and are okay to die of age?

An average person who has lived an average life would have quite a bit of life experience by the time they reach 90, of course they might have not done everything they've wanted to do they've at least experienced their time on earth for what it has been.

printz said:

- Dunno, living forever doesn't sound that bad. The Universe is huge and it may take an immense time to explore it all. If I live forever then I have time to build a vehicle to explore lands away from Earth, so I don't get bored.

When you're that old would you be in the physical shape and in the right state of mind to travel to alien destinations? After traveling around for a while wouldn't it get dull and repetitive to the point where there is no joy in waking up in the morning? Even if this is your favorite activity, would it be someone elses as well?