Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CanOfPorkSoda

Good evening all

Hi all,

Steve here, I'm new to this community but not new to playing doom and/or many of the original Doom creations. What I am new to is creating my own, and I will be giving this a serious go over quite some time. Before signing up for this forum, I watched videos on all the basics, and I am successful in making a level from start to finish, mostly on the difficult, yet balanced side.

What I do lack is a bit of the technicalities, like making levels the way ID did, or perhaps lacking a bit of artistic ability, if you will.

With that being said, thank you for accepting me in this community, and I look forward to some feedback from this group on creating my first megawad - if I end up having any questions, I will post them in the correct section.

Thanks all!

Welcome to Doomworld!

First of all, you do not want to make a megawad your first project. Start small and build up from there.

Welcome to the community, sir (and/or ma'am)! I feel like I should point you towards the Doomworld FAQ just in case you haven't read it yet. Hoping you'll make yourself at home and not be too intimidated. =P

Wow, is ....really? Is this real?

Sorry CanOfPorkSoda, you might want to check my thread here:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85146-new-32-level-doom-2-wad-on-the-way/

It seems you and I might have something in common.

I personally think you should go big or go home(if you want), and shoot for the stars. You'll quickly find that many people don't agree with that stance.

My best advice would be to make what you want, but keep yourself in check...look for things that achieve what you're trying to make, and don't settle for something unless the...engine doesn't allow for it. If something takes 30 hours in Doom Builder to get right, so be it, I'd at least be happier with the result knowing I threw my back out making it as perfect as I could..but that might just be me.

Anyway, god speed, good luck....keep us posted on progress.

volumetricsteve said:

I personally think you should go big or go home(if you want), and shoot for the stars. You'll quickly find that many people don't agree with that stance.

I don't agree because of this:

I was going to make a 32-level MEGAWAD when I was new, then it got stuck on development hell for three years. I have only done about twelve maps for it.

That sucks man, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this guy's will. I'm just trying to encourage the new folks and provide resources that helped me, since he asked/stated almost exactly the same thing I did. Also do the other 20 and quit slackin'! I'd love to see what you've gotten done, I'm sure the rest of the community would too!

Wow I'm actually surprised with the amount of responses I've already gotten with just such a small thread (and yes, I am a sir) :D.

When you say project, do you use that term loosely? Personally, like I said, I've made a couple levels here and there using the basics, so I'm not entirely sure where I should be starting. Maybe link a 3 or 4 levels together and release them to the public?

I suppose what I could do is release one level, have it critiqued, edit it accordingly, and then link it to a second level (which I will release as a stand alone, have it critiqued, edit it, etc). Of course I think that would kill the vibe, seeing as you'd have played all 32 levels by the time it is released as a megawad :).

Again, all this is already awesome feedback/responses, and I will certainly be checking out the FAQ section, as I'm sure I'll have some questions of my own (i.e, custom monster additions, custom music, etc). Have not looked into that kind of stuff - but no need to answer those here, I'll certainly do my fair share of browsing on this site. Would like nothing more (with some free time that I have) to be on par with creators like Erik Alm.

Thanks all!

I think you should do what you're comfortable with. If you want feedback on the levels you're going to wrap up in a megawad, that's more or less what you gotta do.

However...you pointed out the following:
"Of course I think that would kill the vibe, seeing as you'd have played all 32 levels by the time it is released as a megawad :)."

this is exactly what I was worried about, so I'm keeping the vast majority of what I'm doing under wraps, while finding ways to workout the gameplay mechanics that actually make the wad play the way its supposed to.

I'd be happy to provide feedback on what you've got, I'm sure many others would be too.

Welcome to the forums.

CanOfPorkSoda said:

Maybe link a 3 or 4 levels together and release them to the public?

I suppose what I could do is release one level, have it critiqued, edit it accordingly, and then link it to a second level (which I will release as a stand alone, have it critiqued, edit it, etc).

Yes, for example like that, or that.

CanOfPorkSoda said:

Of course I think that would kill the vibe, seeing as you'd have played all 32 levels by the time it is released as a megawad :).

This wouldn't be something unheard of, actually. Also, pretty much every project releases lesser or bigger beta versions that are given feedback and bugfixed/updated several times before being proclaimed final, and the bigger projects tend to be bugfixed/updated even after that. :)

welcome, I'm kinda new here aswell, lurked on and of for quit some time though. I really like this forum. are there any mapping groups currently? maybie we should start one, share our work with each other and see what we can learn. =D.

You could offer to contribute maps to community projects. I think that's what NOVA II is for, right?

VGA said:

You could offer to contribute maps to community projects. I think that's what NOVA II is for, right?

This is a good idea. I almost did it, but didn't want to take time/resources away from my main project.

MrGlide also makes a really good suggestion.

Welcome to Doomworld!

Like I've said other times before, just start small, focus on the quality of your map with game-play and design. Always feel free to share your maps here so you can get feedback, which will definitely help you improve.

MrGlide said:

are there any mapping groups currently? maybie we should start one, share our work with each other and see what we can learn. =D.

Check out the NOVA III project, and keep an eye out for the next Doomworld Mega Project which should be started soon...

Funny you mention NOVA II, I am in the process of playing that one - I believe I'm about 8 or 9 levels in. Don't know about you all, but I'm all for the UV game play. If I can beat it on UV (which I never gave up on any megawad I've played), then I replay at some point with fast monsters on.

Ultimately my goal, as I said, is to create a megawad up to par with wads such as:

Scythe II
Speed Of Doom
Kama Sutra

etc..

I'm not opposed to starting a group within this community on creating a megawad together, and I do like the idea of putting "chapters" in the wad so that I won't get bored creating it, but to be honest I haven't even found out how to do that, as Alm does in Scythe II. My guess is that you just set the line def to "kill player/finish level", would make sense.. but anyways, as I said, I'm all for a community once I get the hang of this. I'll reach out to everybody on this thread at some point once I create a few levels of my own and get the hang of this a bit more.

Always have good ideas in my head.. but when it comes to the graph, it never turns out the way I imagine it. Lots of times I think big in my head, but when it comes out, it ends up being quite congested and a lot smaller than I really wanted it to be, but it's just one of the many things I'll have to work on.

Thanks all!