Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ironhound

Doom Requirements

Anyone with experience regarding videogame alphas? I ask because I'm REALLY hoping that those system requirements don't account for optimization. This bit specifically:

*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 680m and 860m models are below min spec for the DOOM Closed Alpha

Yeah guess who has a 750 Ti? Anyhow, I'm just not seeing the game requiring a more intensive card. Maybe I'm missing something.

Should I buy a new card? Or is optimization going to be something I should account for?

Unless they change things, you'll need a new card. I had a 750 Ti for both alpha tests, and it couldn't handle it, not even at the lowest settings.

The 750 Ti doesn't really have the processing power, or especially, the memory bandwidth, to run Doom. Sorry. It was a good budget card at the time, but it is too old to be relied on for newer games. Time to upgrade, man.

If you buy another Nvidia card, get something which has a 2nd digit which is 6 or above. So, GTX760, GTX960, etc. the GTX-50 cards are too cut-down for high end modern engines.

E: for reference I have a GTX970 and it runs smooth as butter

AirRaid said:

The 750 Ti doesn't really have the processing power, or especially, the memory bandwidth, to run Doom. Sorry. It was a good budget card at the time, but it is too old to be relied on for newer games. Time to upgrade, man.

GTX 750ti match PS4 performance in almost every possible situations and sometimes even slightly outperforms it with i3-cpu and you telling me that for a console game I need to get a more powerfull card? Just to be able to play the game? And not getting 4 fps all the time? For a game that will run on XB1 1080/60? You must be kidding me?
No way Doom reqiure something extremely more powerfull to run at least at 720p/60.

I'm running it with an r9 270x and it runs great. If you have to upgrade on a tight budget, you can pick one of those up fairly cheap now. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 290x soon though :)

Ironhound said:

Anyone with experience regarding videogame alphas? I ask because I'm REALLY hoping that those system requirements don't account for optimization. This bit specifically:

Yeah guess who has a 750 Ti? Anyhow, I'm just not seeing the game requiring a more intensive card. Maybe I'm missing something.

Should I buy a new card? Or is optimization going to be something I should account for?

For the time being it is clear that alpha do not recognise 750ti chip. It's a bug...people with less powerfull gtx 650ti could play the game. So be patient and wait for another alpha test and see if it's fixed....or wait for the beta. If it's not fixed....then it is 100% agrement with NVidia....don't even doubt about that.
I set Doom to 640x480 and it didn't affect the situation...you do realise that this is a software problem.
DO NOT BUY NEW video card! Wait for beta!

I also have a 750ti and it's just a pain not being able to run the alpha on it, maybe they'll fix the problem for the final release, but i'll probably end up buying a new GPU instead, but i will wait for the next generation of Nvidia cards to see if they improved DX12 performance compared to their current cards (just to be future-proofed).

Oh crap, I don't like these reports... I also have a 750ti (matched with i5 processor and 8GB RAM) and there were just few games that I couldn't max out the settings. A game not running at all is bad, specially Doom 4! I really hope they fix whatever the problem is before the release version because I won't afford an expensive upgrade (basically a new video card or CPU) for a good time (college student with no job ATM).

Well I think your 760 might be okay at 720p. The alpha ran at 60 fps with dips to around 45 here and there but remained smooth, eg no stutter using a 780 at 1080p. Remember alpha demos won't have many optimizations complete so the finished game should run better and I'm personally thinking of getting a 980ti just so I can experience it all at 60fps as I'm sure single player will look far better gfx wise.

I couldn't imagine how a 750ti would run this personally. You got to bare in mind that the multi platform titles that show a 750ti run at PS4 level are running at reduced details and 30fps where this game will be running at 60. I also imagine the console game will use dynamic resolution to keep that frame rate up where as PC version will be fixed resolution.

For those of you wondering why your 750ti's with a i3 or i5 cpu can't handle DOOM when technically, per spec, the gpu or cpu is more powerful than the apu's in the ps4 or xbone.... you failed to recognize all the overhead required between windows, it's drivers and resources, and the hardware in your machines.

Yes, the PS4 may have weaker hardware, but it's a single set of hardware with a low level (almost running all games to the apu directly) API which the OS interferes little with. Much easier to squeeze performance out of and develop on (not having to worry about various hardware types and combinations, or desktop-like OS level overhead).

Because there could be a million different types of hardware configurations, and because everything has to wrap through drivers at a high level on a PC, that causes alot of your hardware performance to be tossed out the window immediately.

That's why more direct-to-gpu (to the metal) driver updates from AMD and NVIDIA are starting to become the primary focus, to bypass all this overhead. Same goes for Direct X 12's new framework to try to reduce all that os-level clutter and performance degradation for gpu and cpu functions. They're making improvememts with each passing release...but it doesn't happen overnight, and the way the game is developed also plays a major role how it interacts with said drivers.

While modern day consoles share a familiar territory with PC architecture, keep in mind the primary focus for a console is still games, and everything else secondary, so the api and os are developed to focus primarily on that. In fact, the Xbox one runs hyper v's for the os and game enviornment... the games route almost natively directly to the apu, and only calls up the hyper v for the os when it needs to. PS4 also uses a simular operation. PC's don't have such environments for games (yet) where all game functions must route through layers of drivers within a OS. The reason is that PC'S are intended for multiple functions, not just games. But like I said, they are working to reduce that with newer generations of directX and newer driver releases.

Also keep in mind, while it will be playable on ps4 or xbox one, the dev utilize the engine and that consoles hardware with alot of tricks to make it run at s reasonable framerate. detail will be sacrificed, same with antialiasing, and it will only be running at a upscale 1080p, likely from 720p or 900p

Between low level, single set of hardware programming and development, and numerous tricks used to keep up performance, this is why consoles get a good several years before they need a hardware overhaul.

Buckshot said:

Lots of informative words

This should be posted on every thread on the internet regarding the question 'is this good enough to run this?'

Well done :)

MrDeAD1313 said:

This should be posted on every thread on the internet regarding the question 'is this good enough to run this?'

Well done :)

There's alot more detail behind this and why it is the way it is, but that detail can become a bit complex, so I did my best to generalize to not-so-techinal folk and simplify the understanding. Glad to see it made sense :)

TL;DR CROWD:
Basically, consoles are intended for games and use a single set of hardware per that console, thus all other functions are secondary and games can communicate (near) directly with the gpu/cpu (or apu) without any layers of drivers and os levels to filter and twiddle down the hardwares performance that's lost in translation like what happens on a PC, which has to route all those gpu/cpu code and calls through multiple layers of translators, wrappers, drivers, etc etc, before it reaches the gpu/cpu... effectively trashing a shit ton of your hardwares end performance.

Buckshot said:

For those of you wondering why your 750ti's with a i3 or i5 cpu can't handle DOOM when technically, per spec, the gpu or cpu is more powerful than the apu's in the ps4 or xbone.... you failed to recognize all the overhead required between windows, it's drivers and resources, and the hardware in your machines.

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

is an ATI Radeon HD7750 good enough ?

That card is below the "minimum" spec, which lists a Radeon 7870. You might struggle.

Well, screw this game then, I'll be better off with classic Doom and it's thousands of mods, sniff >:,(

LkMax said:

Well, screw this game then, I'll be better off with classic Doom and it's thousands of mods, sniff >:,(

Welcome to the 21st century.

Buckshot said:

For those of you wondering why your 750ti's with a i3 or i5 cpu can't handle DOOM..

Ha ha...are you telling me that when game is released, an entry level 750ti gpu for multiplatform current gen games running with almost max settings wich are close to ps4 visuals, including such games as Witcher 3, The evil within, Wolf, Cod, Star wars Battlefront and all the rest....suddenly won't work in Doom? a game with dynamic lights wich do not cast shadows - wich is a console level graphics wich won't be any better with all your 780 cards. And you expect me to believe in all this?
I know about low level access, windows api and drivers shit...but it doesn't explain why the hell 750 ti shows 4 fps with 640x480.....the only explanation - it's a bug of an alpha, wich is totally understandable, but saying that 750ti just can't handle it....save the BS!
Ohh look guys at the "shitty almost non playable" performance of gtx 750 ti in a technicly advanced modern game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-jVhZg0G8

AirRaid said:

That card is below the "minimum" spec, which lists a Radeon 7870. You might struggle.

Emm .. Probably, i'm expecting to run it at a bit below mid quality .

DooM_RO said:

Welcome to the 21st century.

Whatever you mean with that... regarding shooters I still have more fun with 90's games (Doom, Heretic, Build Engine games, Quake I, etc) than the disappointment crap of recently released sequels (Wolfenstein TNO has way too much unskippable or disguised cutscenes, Bioshock Infinite is a shitty entry to the series both gameplay and story-wise, etc... Rage is very fun though).

I can't wait to see the FINAL requirements. Alpha might not be 100% polished but it's also nothing more than a single MP level. Full game (SP) will have bigger levels, more characters on screen (+ AI algorithms) and other systems. I wouldn't be surprised if the final reqs were actually higher than whatever they recommend for the Alpha.

LkMax said:

Whatever you mean with that... regarding shooters I still have more fun with 90's games (Doom, Heretic, Build Engine games, Quake I, etc) than the disappointment crap of recently released sequels (Wolfenstein TNO has way too much unskippable or disguised cutscenes, Bioshock Infinite is a shitty entry to the series both gameplay and story-wise, etc... Rage is very fun though).

- Looking forward to playing this game!
- Your PC won't run it.
- Pffff, whatever! I hate new games anyway!

Classic.

id.dav said:

Ha ha...are you telling me that when game is released, an entry level 750ti gpu for multiplatform current gen games running with almost max settings wich are close to ps4 visuals, including such games as Witcher 3, The evil within, Wolf, Cod, Star wars Battlefront and all the rest....suddenly won't work in Doom? a game with dynamic lights wich do not cast shadows - wich is a console level graphics wich won't be any better with all your 780 cards. And you expect me to believe in all this?
I know about low level access, windows api and drivers shit...but it doesn't explain why the hell 750 ti shows 4 fps with 640x480.....the only explanation - it's a bug of an alpha, wich is totally understandable, but saying that 750ti just can't handle it....save the BS!
Ohh look guys at the "shitty almost non playable" performance of gtx 750 ti in a technicly advanced modern game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-jVhZg0G8

But frostbyte engine is 2-3 years old so its had plenty of optimizations done to it. Plus it's multiplayer only so the engine doesn't have to worry so much about good A.I processes.
I don't doubt the 750 card will run the game when the next alpha\beta is released but to get it running well I bet your looking at below 720p resolution for 60 fps.

You also sound like you have seen a near final build of the game for you to make assumptions that no dynamic lights cast shadows ? If you are going by the E3 demo that engine was using an incomplete renderer so the final game could look much better plus pc version may get more gfx options.

I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card, everything else i've got should be capable of Handling it .

So what's the best Graphics card i can get at lowest price ?

id.dav said:

[/url]

I mean, look, I've got a bunch of machines that I use for different purposes. my main gaming rig has sli'd titan x's.... one of my "servers" (for lack of a better word) though is a i5 lenovo desktop that I tossed a 750ti into. I bought that 750ti because when I have friends come over, on board intel graphics won't cut it for some games they play on that machine, the 750ti let's them play some of today's games at "ok" settings at 1080p. I bought it (1) because it was cheap and (2) it was power efficient from its maxwell architecture, and because that architecture does 75% more work per Cuda core compared to kepler. I paid, heh, like $100 for it on some weekend deal at Microcenter.

Again... it runs some of today's games at passable (not high, not ultra) settings at 1080p and it gets a passable framerate. But it lacks any serious power compared to a 770, 780 (ti), 970, 980 (ti) or titan-class gpu, and I never expected it to compete with those. Especially when you compare it's specs (and price) to any of those cards, lol. it's just a cheap entry level card that functions at minimum only to surpass on board graphics.

And while we can say "Well, DOOM is still in alpha, so it might still yet be optimized or better drivers are released before it goes retail for the 750ti"... I wouldn't hold my breath. DOOM is pumping some serious graphics,polys, and FX... and even if you could get it at a playable framerate... It'd probably look abysmal for the performance trade off.

Do yourself a favor... focus on the x70 or higher version of a nvidia card (aka 970+). I know it's more costly, but the performance and capabilities are light years ahead of the lower end cards. You won't regret taking the time to save and spend that kind of money.

Alternatively, if you don't have $370 - $600 upfront to spend on a graphics card, or need one temporarily, you can always lease/rent the latest and greatest gpu's out there for a nominal monthly (or weekly) fee. There's tons of sites that do this... and while it may not be viable for a long term solution (as they'll charge you an extra 20% or more if you opt to pay off the card over a year), it does help those in need of a "here & now" option to play a game immediately, and send it back once you're done.

Most would recommend you'd just save up for a card and buy it on a sale or special, though. But if you dont, leasing a gpu either for the short term is always an option.

Most if not all games being released support the 750ti. I don't mind putting some settings on medium or playing at 720p (sometimes it's needed to run above 40 to 50 frames per second) so not running even at minimum settings is pretty lame for a game that doesn't even look great.

Buckshot said:

Again... it runs some of today's games at passable (not high, not ultra) settings

From experience I can safely say this card still can run recent games between high and ultra settings with good framerate (sometimes only one or other more demanding setting lower). Although I think the most recent AAA games I've played were Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (from 2014) and Wolfenstein The New Order (2015) I had no problem at all.

PS: I'm not buying an expensive card just to play Doom, I've been doing that for the last 10 years on integrated graphics =P

LkMax said:

From experience I can safely say this card still can run recent games between high and ultra settings with good framerate (sometimes only one or other more demanding setting lower). Although I think the most recent AAA games I've played were Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (from 2014) and Wolfenstein The New Order (2015) I had no problem at all.

Sure, if you're willing to sacrifice resolution for eye candy. Can run alot of stuff on high settings at 720p (minus aa, ssao/hbao, and a few other things.)

But the moment you try to do supersampling, antialiasing, or anything else like that... it murders the poor 750ti. Dont get me wrong... it's a good card for the price. That maxwell behind it is awesome. But it lacks alot of oomph to drill games at 1080p or above. And at 1080p/720p, it'd be nice to see the card handle better AA to clean up those jaggies... but of course, it lacks the power to do so.