Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I like Doom Retro because it REDEFINES Doom rather than adding fancy shmancy features and having a complex set of options. Chocolate Doom (I don't mind this port actually) is too strict, "orthodox" (you know what I mean), ports like ZDoom, Zandronum, and Eternity are too modern, and Doom Retro (although modern) is just right. Doom Retro is the only source port that corrects the blood color of the Cacodemon, Baron, and Hell Knight!

ZDoom but mostly out of familiarity. Boom derivatives are pretty good but I play a lot worse on them.
Chocolate Doom would be perfect if it had better resolution, I think there was a fork of it that does this.
If I were a speedrunner I'd probably stick with Pr-Boom.
I was never a huge fan of OpenGL ports. I think DooM just looks better under a software renderer. The only time I use GL-based ports is for maps and mods that need it, like Pirate Doom (which was amazing).

@JXC -

Redefines how?

@Tosi -

"ZDoom but mostly out of familiarity" I think pretty much sums up the overall message I'm getting.

@Superluigieth1 -

I haven't used Zandronum, but that sounds like another vote for G/Zdoom

@jerk-o -

Understood, but Debian also has SDL2 and FluidSynth available...if you really wanted to apply yourself you could compile Zdoom, I'm almost certain there are reliable build instructions...and it's debian so...it'll almost certainly work.

For testing vanilla maps use Chocolate Doom. For testing Boom maps use prboom+.

For actual playing I use Doom Retro (sometimes with my smooth weapons mod in my signature), or GZDoom+Smooth Doom mod or 3DGE + Doom4Ever mod if it is an easy vanilla map, to make it more interesting.

JXC said:

Doom Retro is the only source port that corrects the blood color of the Cacodemon, Baron, and Hell Knight!

Crispy also does that.

And GZDoom/ZDoom can do it with a mod called "Bloodfix", which is part of a package distributed as "Small Addons".

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31681

Me? I use prboom-plus (in GL mode) to watch demos, and either GZDoom or Crispy DOOM to play.

I'm a Linux user, so DOOM Retro isn't as much of an option for me as it is for you Windows players.

I use :
- Crispy Doom for vanilla and limit-removing WADs on Windows
- Chocolate Doom for vanilla WADs on Linux
- PrBoom+ for BOOM-compatible WADs on Windows (and limit-removing WADs on Linux)

I'm not running (G)ZDOOM stuff anymore.

I like Crispy Doom for the coloured blood, higher resolution and other small graphic enhancements (and the removal of limits).

As a Deathmatcher primarily, I love Zandronum for it's immense modding capacity, Zdaemon for it's awesome account/exp system, and Odamex for it's fantastic netplay and authentic classic feel. They're all tiny anyway, for me personally there's no reason not to use and enjoy each one.

For SP, I use Chocolate Doom 95% of the time, however if it passes vanilla limits I'll just load it in Zandronum because that's easy.

I rarely record demos, maybe I should get to using PrBoom more often and record a few.

dugan said:

I'm a Linux user, so DOOM Retro isn't as much of an option for me as it is for you Windows players.

But there are people compiling it for Linux I've seen.

Mainly Prboom+ in single player.
Crispy Doom (*sigh*) Chocolate Doom and Doom+ over DosBox for vanilla and limit-removing multiplayer, with Boom over DosBox and MBF 2.04 over DosBox when necessary for multiplayer.

Doomkid said:

As a Deathmatcher primarily, I love Zandronum for it's immense modding capacity, Zdaemon for it's awesome account/exp system, and Odamex for it's fantastic netplay and authentic classic feel.

Do you think that at this point there could be a way to help Odamex gain a larger following?
I really enjoy it, and honestly prefer it to Zdaemon, but it's pretty much stagnant when it comes to any sort of scene or following, outside of special events on occasion.

@volumetricsteve prboom+ has more than enough features for me, so why would I ever want to use zdoom.

The Civ said:

Do you think that at this point there could be a way to help Odamex gain a larger following?

People just need to play it. Records show that there are on average 200-300 people downloading Odamex a week. (Source)

I imagine people see it empty and assume it is abandoned.

Also it does not help that Odamex's lead programmer is MIA.

I seem to remember people taking issue that EDGE had corrected blood colors for monsters on by default ages ago - now it seems that people prefer it. Guess I can change it again for the next release.

Obviously based here, but I usually use 3DGE to run Vanilla/BOOM stuff. Rarely do I play projects/maps for other ports. I really can't handle playing in Software mode unless I have no choice. I've just gotten so used to the GL rendering system that everything feels naked without it. ;)

Chu said:

I've just gotten so used to the GL rendering system that everything feels naked without it. ;)

I know that feeling, too... ;)

But I can live without the high-res crap and other (non-)improvements that seem to be popular...

jerk-o said:

@volumetricsteve prboom+ has more than enough features for me, so why would I ever want to use zdoom.

Except no infinitely tall actors, brightmaps, lack of console, not sure about gamepad support. And annoyances like having to press ESC for zero reason, the trademark Boom-inherited clusterfuck of pages of options, the alt keys getting stuck after alt-tabbing and then doing an alt-enter next time you press Enter.

Also, bugs.

ZDoom has voxel support and ... wait, if I started, I would be here for a month to write all that down. Only ZDoom has "more than enough" options.

The Civ said:

I really enjoy it, and honestly prefer it to Zdaemon, but it's pretty much stagnant when it comes to any sort of scene or following, outside of special events on occasion.

Join irc.quakenet.org #dmstuff, this is where the active Odamex deathmatchers hang out. Coop and DM does happen nearly every day, it's just always started on IRC :)

Doomkid said:

Join irc.quakenet.org #dmstuff, this is where the active Odamex deathmatchers hang out. Coop and DM does happen nearly every day, it's just always started on IRC :)

Thanks a ton!
I'll definitely check that out.
Been looking to get into some good Deathmatch games for a while.

PrBoom+ -> For better Dooming.
EDGE -> For QDoom.
GZdoom -> For the mods.
Zandronum -> For the multiplayer.
DosBox -> For the emergency sourceport.
Chocolate Doom -> For the authentic bugs.
ZDeamon -> For my lousy match records.

Overall:
PrBoom+ and GZdoom.

I mostly play vanilla stuff so I use the original DOS Doom most of the time, but sometimes I use ZDoom when I feel like playing every map 100% since the k/s/i counters help a lot. Also sometimes ZDaemon or Zandronum for multiplayer. I only play DM though so I rarely use those these days.

my vote goes to prboom+ and i have no interest in zdoom.
why prboom+ is so good:
good vanilla accuracy with limit removing
excellent performance for populous maps
decent graphics
plenty of features for playing, demo playback and game behavior tuning

zdoom is good for mods, but i am oldschool and don't want to change the way of playing that doom was designed to be. zdoom's performance is no match for prboom+ either.

mostly zDoom / gzDoom

noshutdown said:

zdoom's performance is no match for prboom+ either.

What do you use to play? A 386 cpu? =P

You should enable vsync then. That'd cut dowon on energy consumption and heat generation quite a bit...

LkMax said:
noshutdown said:

zdoom's performance is no match for prboom+ either.

What do you use to play? A 386 cpu? =P

Running Boom or DOSDoom, or possibly even Final Doom on a 386 would be quite an accomplishment, let alone PrBoom-Plus.

Even original Doom 1 was borderline. When I first got the game I still had a 386 and it was absolutely no fun playing that semi-slideshow, so I ended up playing at work where I had a faster system.

Personally I switch between prBoom+, Chocolate Doom, (G)ZDoom, Zandronum, and on occasion (mostly recently) Eternity Engine. prBoom+ I'll use for most Vanilla, Limit Removing, and Boom related maps. Chocolate Doom I use to test Vanilla maps I make. (G)ZDoom I use for modern maps, sticking with ZDoom unless I need GZDoom; Zandronum for multiplayer. Eternity Engine is kind of the underdog source port, I wan tot see it succeed and attract a bunch of people to it but I don't actually even use it much myself. Used to use Doom Legacy as my port of choice before it died. (Also used to exclusively play Chex Quest mapsets lol)

I've never tried or gotten into EDGE/3DGE, Doom Retro, Crispy Doom, ReMooD, Odamex, ZDaemon, Risen3D etc. I'd love to use Doomsday but it's too powerful for my computer to run at a decent framerate and only runs limit removing maps, so I might as well use any of the previously mentioned ones.

I usually play and test with ZDoom.
I use Chocolate Doom for that rare occasion when I make and test a vanilla map.

Favored source ports? Oh, phhfbfhbft! That's obviously GZDoom!
I mean, it's got everything you need like particles, marines, RIP AND TEARING, and everybody's favorite, classic gameplay.