Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I am currently in the midst of thinking about how to approach MAP 30 for Baculus. I can't come up with any memorable ideas or unique gameplay scenarios that will make my map feel like a boss map.

What do people prefer, standard IOS battle with a twist, straight up slaughter or both? (Without introducing new enemies from the stock lineup).

Does anybody have any advice they could give me?

Thanks

Nothing that requires very precise timing or aiming or movement - such "challenges" are annoying. Better something that involves furious dodging enemy attacks and firing weapons, with just a very little hiding-behind-obstacles spicing. At least that's what I'd prefer.

Well, it seems a big slaughter-ish, no holds barred style map is the popular opinion.

That's plenty for me to go off. Im thinking a big castle-like structure that you must fight to get to the top of sounds like a cool concept.

Thanks everyone

I can provide some DeHackEd work if need be if you'd like a meaty final boss. It's kind of what I'm known for. ;-P

crunchy I just completed making a Boss battle and it pretty much more intense and fun than the last couple maps combined. The difficulty and need to run but watch where you're running is a big factor.

I had two super units with moderate speed shooting and chasing the player around an arena with Acid spots and scripted inferno traps coming from the ceiling (Mancubus flames) with the center platform you can enter for minor cover with health and ammo, however every X amount of time the lights go red, an alarm is sound and the ceiling crushes everything inside it, then it restarts.

This forces the player to constantly move and watch everywhere he is going, and since the arena is circular the Bosses can go different directions and surround the player, forcing him to enter the center platform with the timed crusher.

Thanks to the power of scripts my Boss fights are intense. You should do the same with a unique arena and then work around that.

Boss battles should keep you focused on the boss. I'd say the Icon of Sin was actually kind of a cheap boss battle....I'm glad I've beaten it....under par at that....but it was more of a mess than a boss battle. I think scifista42 touched on this, needing high precision aim and all that isn't great in a boss fight.

Hit scan attacks are kinda lame, RE: spider mastermind, but sometimes forgivable under the right circumstances. I think something like a cyberdemon with a plasma gun on one hand and rockets on the other would be cool. But I digress if you're not making a custom boss.

The space should allow for plenty of freedom of motion, to say the least.

Is there a theme you're trying to stick with or any theme you can carry over and build on from a previous level?

@Chezza: That sounds like a really interesting map, certainly fitting for a boss level. This WAD is going to be boom-compatible so I think scripting sequences like that are out, but I can definitely implement an arena-type system that works off similar concepts as your map has.

@volumetricsteve: Yes i'm hoping a large outdoor castle filled to the brim with baddies would work for fast-paced action and lots of freedom will suffice.

Map 29 ends like this; so I can really take the map in any direction, but to suit the WAD a large open outdoor area is best fitting.

Ios maps are the best thing ever and those who disagree are objectively bad at Doom.

Nah, I'm kidding - the ios is great fun, but that dead horse has been beaten too much. I would suggest steering clear of that.

I always say I hate IoS maps, but that has more to do with the demon-spitter than the Icon itself. Infinitely-generating enemies (including archies and PEs) are just no fun.

You could create a spiral shaped map like this:

Which is like a gauntlet run where the player must run among enemies and not get bogged down, when he reaches the center he should kill the boss.