Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BahdKo

Author of ssl2.wad identified

Lots of people (including me) thought Sslasher made ssl2.wad, but no.

I got clarification from Ocelot that it was a friend of his who does not have an online Doom handle. His name is Erkka Ryynänen. It was a series of 4 wads that was made in Finland and was being played locally by their local group of players. It included either ssl.wad or ssl1.wad, ssl2.wad, there was an ssl3.wad which was never really finished, and an ssl4.wad. ssl2.wad was the only one that "made it" so to speak.

This blew me away. FraGMarE was certain that Sslasher had made it, and it's not surprising given the filename. I wonder if Sslasher did ever end up making any wads after all, or it's just a misconception due to that name? FM seemed certain that he did doodle out a few little maps, but hell, that's trying to remember back nearly 20 years so it's not that surprising if he was mistaken.

Thanks for looking into this, BahdKo. Yet another old DM mystery solved.

(You hear that Capo? You were right, so sue me!!)

And indeed unhelpful that it was apparently distributed with no documentary textfile.

I mean.. ya no ... dude has no doom nickname and makes no .txt file, and the wad flies out there and becomes more-or-less famous, haha.

I honestly don't think that map's popularity will ever die down. It's one of my all time favorite places to duel, I'd rank it above Judas23 easily. Funny to think, a Doomer who never even joined the community made one of the most played DM maps of all time.

I was on 90% sure it was made from some unknown player, simple bcz if it was made by doomgod which sslasher is, pretty sure it was widely known in competitive scene for many years. And i had discussion about it with DevastatioN which said exact same thing like said BahdKo now, so well, glad this mistery is revealed lol...

Nice find, BahdKo!

I didn't know Ocelot and you were still around, might need some help regarding CMAT if you don't mind ::)

Interesting to finally know the history of 'Shit Spawn Luck 2'. Is there any way you could pass along the ssl3 wad? It would be neat to see what it looks like.

Edit: 1 and 4 are apparently uploaded somewhere online.

Is Ocelot still in contact with Erkka at all? Would be cool to get (even an unfinished) ssl3.wad just for historical purposes, or some other history/demos/etc. from the time.

I cant find anything but SSL2, do you guys know where 1 and 4 are? I wonder if 3 is even saved anywhere. Would be cool for historic purposes!

Thanks man! Maybe one of the os doomers from #nightmare can make up an appropriate .txt file for these wads. Great stuff.

EDIT: You still playing online from time to time, Rev?

I haven't really played online at all since back when Skulltag was still a thing. I've kind of wanted to start up playing online (and offline) again and now that I've started getting back into mapping, I may eventually hop on Zandronum or something, but not at the moment. I'm extremely out of practice anyway.

Ru5tK1ng said:

Interesting to finally know the history of 'Shit Spawn Luck 2'.

Haha, first time I've ever heard that one

For whatever reason, SSL2 just hit the right mix that the other two did not. The others aren't that bad, just seem like run of the mill 90's deathmatch maps. SSL2 was a happy accident, but regardless I'd love to find that last one, assuming it's still around to be found.