Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AxetotheKnee

So I made my first WAD. yay!

Hey guys!

So lately I've been playing a bit with doom Builder 2, and after learning a little I decided to make my first map so that I could keep myself motivated to keep practicing.
It's nothing new, it's kinda small, but I hope it's enjoyable.
So here you go: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxalvn4wUivuVjNDUDBKU3R1Nzg&usp=sharing
Some feedback would be really apreciated!!

The single most relevant piece of info you can provide is what source port or compatibility level the wad was tested with and is intended to be played with. Even the text file doesn't have this info.

This map could have looked much nicer if you had payed more attention to texture sanity - like in the computer room with the texture half sticking out of the floor, it just looks a little weird.

Also 3/4 secrets are technically 1 secret, it would make more sense to only tag the secret sector as secret and not both doors as well.

http://imgur.com/a/kjsfL

Try unpegging both the lower and upper textures in the first shot - this will keep them both aligned with the walls on both sides.

I also included a screenshot of a missing texture on a step.

Oh, and the last pinky demon in the dark maze couldn't move or attack due to being clipped into a wall.

Also what rdwpa is referring to is not the port you tested it in, but the least-advanced port it will run in. So in Doombuilder, if your configuration was set to Doom: Doom, then it should be Vanilla compatible. Or Boom: Doom = Boom compatible, etc.

Pretty good first map though! I think you had a lot of room to ramp the difficulty up, so maybe your next project could be incorporating difficulty levels into this map.

Opening the map in (GZ)DoomBuilder says it's "Boom (Doom) Format" and it does start in PrBoom+, but the first door in the starting room doesn't work in that port. The reason is that you used a switch action on the linedefs for your door, but didn't put the tag and the sector is missing a tag as well. I would recommend just switching to a door action which won't need a sector tag since it works on the sector on the backside of the linedef. If you fix these sorts bugs your map should work in Boom-compatible ports instead of just ZDoom. I'd recommend testing with PrBoom+ just to ensure greater compatibility if you're going to stick with Boom-format maps.

The layout is decent, not just square rooms. It was a little linear, but that may be forgiven because of the small size of the map. I like how it was designed around the central room with the slime pit.

You need to work on your texture alignment however, especially the lower and upper sides of a window. Use the upper/lower unpegged flags for this (sometimes you'll still have to manually align the texture). Also, there was a HOM if you turn around at the bottom of the steps after the first room.

Visually there was very little detailing, which I don't mind. However, some of the choices of textures were visually jarring. For flats, I would recommend avoiding having an entire room use tiling lights for the floor. Lights for the ceiling work, but you need to keep it on the 64x64 grid so that you don't have have a light with the rest disappearing into the wall. The lighting was well done, and I have no real complaints there.

As for gameplay, it was on the easy side even under UV. I don't know if you implemented difficulties or not though. I think you should have bumped up the level of opposition once the player gets the plasma rifle. You're kind of limited since it's Doom and not Doom 2, but you could throw in a few Cacodemons instead of just a gaggle of imps. Another way to make the map harder would be to use spectres instead of demon in the dark area with flashing lights. There was plenty of ammo and health, and nothing in the map seemed unfair. The first secret is pretty much impossible unless you cheat to get a full automap. How is the player supposed to know to shoot that wall in the first room?

Overall, it's a decent very first map. There is much room for improvement. I would recommend fixing the texture alignment and tagging/action issues first (along with that single HOM), and then add detail to the map. This is probably hypocritical coming from me since I've never released a map, but as a novice mapper I've been paying heavy attention to problems in other people's maps to improve. Keep up the good work.

tomocean22 said:

Also 3/4 secrets are technically 1 secret, it would make more sense to only tag the secret sector as secret and not both doors as well.

Yeah took me a while to correct that because I didnt know what was happening. But I figured it out. I taged the sector of the secret and one of the sectors of a door.

tomocean22 said:

http://imgur.com/a/kjsfL

Try unpegging both the lower and upper textures in the first shot - this will keep them both aligned with the walls on both sides.

I also included a screenshot of a missing texture on a step.

I really didn't know about unpegging textures to make them alligned. Thanks for that.

tomocean22 said:

Oh, and the last pinky demon in the dark maze couldn't move or attack due to being clipped into a wall.

That was the last thing I added, so I hadn't noticed that. But now I changed the demon for a Imp.

tomocean22 said:

Also what rdwpa is referring to is not the port you tested it in, but the least-advanced port it will run in. So in Doombuilder, if your configuration was set to Doom: Doom, then it should be Vanilla compatible. Or Boom: Doom = Boom compatible, etc.

Got it. If I not mistaken is Vanilla compatible

tomocean22 said:

Pretty good first map though! I think you had a lot of room to ramp the difficulty up, so maybe your next project could be incorporating difficulty levels into this map.

Thanks for the feedback! I already made the changes.

Tosi said:

Opening the map in (GZ)DoomBuilder says it's "Boom (Doom) Format" and it does start in PrBoom+, but the first door in the starting room doesn't work in that port. The reason is that you used a switch action on the linedefs for your door, but didn't put the tag and the sector is missing a tag as well. I would recommend just switching to a door action which won't need a sector tag since it works on the sector on the backside of the linedef. If you fix these sorts bugs your map should work in Boom-compatible ports instead of just ZDoom. I'd recommend testing with PrBoom+ just to ensure greater compatibility if you're going to stick with Boom-format maps.

Yeah you were right about the door. I guess it was like that because it was my first so didn't know exactly how to do hahah. But it's fixed now

The layout is decent, not just square rooms. It was a little linear, but that may be forgiven because of the small size of the map. I like how it was designed around the central room with the slime pit.

Tosi said:

You need to work on your texture alignment however, especially the lower and upper sides of a window. Use the upper/lower unpegged flags for this (sometimes you'll still have to manually align the texture). Also, there was a HOM if you turn around at the bottom of the steps after the first room.

I think I fixed all the textures now (I hope).

Tosi said:

Visually there was very little detailing, which I don't mind. However, some of the choices of textures were visually jarring. For flats, I would recommend avoiding having an entire room use tiling lights for the floor. Lights for the ceiling work, but you need to keep it on the 64x64 grid so that you don't have have a light with the rest disappearing into the wall. The lighting was well done, and I have no real complaints there.

I'm not really good with the textures, that's true. And that being made just at the end I did it in a hush. But I will try to improve next time.

Tosi said:

As for gameplay, it was on the easy side even under UV. I don't know if you implemented difficulties or not though. I think you should have bumped up the level of opposition once the player gets the plasma rifle. You're kind of limited since it's Doom and not Doom 2, but you could throw in a few Cacodemons instead of just a gaggle of imps. Another way to make the map harder would be to use spectres instead of demon in the dark area with flashing lights. There was plenty of ammo and health, and nothing in the map seemed unfair. The first secret is pretty much impossible unless you cheat to get a full automap.

I'm really bad at discerning if it's hard or not, maybe because I'm not that good myself haha. And I had in mind for this to be an initial level, so not to hard

Tosi said:

How is the player supposed to know to shoot that wall in the first room?

Well I tried to hint it with an ammo clip on the window, not really subtle, but its a secret afterall

Tosi said:

Overall, it's a decent very first map. There is much room for improvement. I would recommend fixing the texture alignment and tagging/action issues first (along with that single HOM), and then add detail to the map. This is probably hypocritical coming from me since I've never released a map, but as a novice mapper I've been paying heavy attention to problems in other people's maps to improve. Keep up the good work.

I really apreciate your feedback! Hope I see a map of yours someday.

tomocean22 said:

No, this is just misleading information. Don't ever proclaim your map's compatibility without testing it. The map might contain "zdoomisms" even if it's made in "Doom" or "Boom" format, because advanced engines tend to tolerate certain design choices that classic engines take as errors (zero-tagged remote actions, press-use through special linedefs, limits on how much detail can be visible on screen at once...). So, if you didn't actually test in vanilla, don't claim that a wad is vanilla compatible, etc.