Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Using attic and Phase 2 secret level resources to make a FreeWolf3D

I agree that the game should appeal to the nostalgia factor, and the right look and feel will be a great part of that. (MarlboroMike's sprites are a great start!)

I like the idea of making this like a game that could've been conceived and made in the 90s, alongside Wolf3d, Operation Body Count, Blake Stone etc. but that doesn't mean this has to be thematically identical to those games. Each of those games use the Wolf3d engine in quite different and innovative ways.

Maz's idea of eating limbs to regain health is actually quite easy to do. All you need to do is have the guards drop health items as well as ammo.

It'd be nice to have some other voices heard though. I'm sure everyone's going to have an opinion on what the game's theme, story and gameplay should be.

My idea wouldn't have used new items and enemies etc, it'd just use existing ones more creatively. However the zombie girl vs robots story was just a suggestion, I too would like to see more opinions/ideas being presented :)
I personally think the story should be sci fi rather than military themed, maybe with elements of classic horror films. That would not only allow more scope for creativity, but it'd make it easier to incorporate atticed freedoom stuff.

I don't like the idea of being a monster (like a zombie) killing humans. Unless perhaps you make it clear that they're bad guys as opposed to random civilians -- like in the Blood Rayne games, you're murdering Nazis, which is always okay, but of course perhaps not the specific best choice for a theme that moves away from Wolfenstein 3D.

Given that there are so many MarlboroMike resources available, perhaps the project's theme should be decided based on how effectively it can use those resources.

On that topic, has anyone collected all his work together so we can get a comprehensive view of what is available?

Wow, that's an entire game's worth of resources. They're really well-made, too.

So this is not going to be vanilla compatible? Eh. I really could have used it to distribute it with AutoWolf on Android, so it's playable out of the box and I can stop putting stupid UI to load external files...

It is my understanding that vanilla compatibility is hard to accomplish from the tech side, and will serve little purpose as many if not most mods or TCs are distributed as stand-alone packages rather than data files to be run with the original game.

Besides, isn't the main point of AutoWolf is that it can play and solve the maps of the original game?

I guess I can rip the resources and build a vanilla reskin when I need one, with due credits.

(andrewj: you're correct, but I need a free gameplay demo just so it can be used immediately. And I'm afraid to use the Wolf3D shareware, because we have a bad precedent with Javascript Doom here)

I was hoping for killing a good looking Hitler Sprite but this is good too... Love The Terminator!

What if we replace Hitler with Dr. Frankenstein?

Game Title: Frankenstein 3D/Escape from Castle Frankenstein

Story: You're a German soldier who's found himself in Frankenstein's labyrinthine castle, and only you can stop his plans to take over the world with his army of the undead.

Enemies:

All the guards can be replaced with Igor/Frankenstein monster variations (We already have the Mutant, after all). Bosses can be replaced with super monsters cobbled together with corpses and steam-punk robotics.

Thematically, this would be similar enough to the source material without alienating German players.

*EDIT*

We could call it Freekenstein 3D, making the title both in the spirit of Freedoom and a pun on the word "freak."

baragon29 said:

We could call it Freekenstein 3D, making the title both in the spirit of Freedoom and a pun on the word "freak."

I like it! But at the same time I have a suspicion that many people will think it's a name of yet another Wolfenstein 3-D mod/TC.

I'm guessing that it's the -stein part that is going to evoke Wolfenstein allusions.

That's just my personal opinion though, others may disagree.