Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pedro VC

The Slipgate Complex

Well, that was cool. Short and simple but quite faithful, so props.

I know there's QDOOM and whatnot, but has anyone ever tried remaking Quake's maps in Doom's style? There will certainly need to be tweaks and changes to accommodate the loss of room-over-room and swimmable water, but it might be neat to see.

[heh, QTWID :P]

I actually did this a couple of months ago but never got around to finishing it, props to you man because this is really great!

If you did the whole episode that would be pretty damn cool!

Xaser said:

heh, QTWID :P

QTWIDD - Quake The Way Id Did Doom.

I'd like to see Doom maps using stock Doom textures, and Quake-inspired aesthetics, design and gameplay, and NOT being remakes of existing Quake maps, too.

remaking quake maps in doom brings up quite interesting results, would be nice to
see some later quake maps with underwater sections using the capabilities of more advanced ports.

whatever nice little remake haha

Nice remake, I liked it. It was super easy, but was fun to see how you reinterpreted the level. How did you build it? Did you look at the quake map in a quake map editor or just in-game?

Xaser said:

has anyone ever tried remaking Quake's maps in Doom's style?

Not sure I understand, but does Pedro's map not qualify?

roadworx said:

sorry if this is a dumb question, but why e4m1? why not e1m1?

Episode 4 has a better fitting sky.

Xaser said:

Well, that was cool. Short and simple but quite faithful, so props.

I know there's QDOOM and whatnot, but has anyone ever tried remaking Quake's maps in Doom's style? There will certainly need to be tweaks and changes to accommodate the loss of room-over-room and swimmable water, but it might be neat to see.

[heh, QTWID :P]

Well, I think episode 4 levels would fit very well in Doom style, because they aren't as vertically oriented as the other episodes maps. But still there would be a lot of adaptations in the levels.

scifista42 said:

It kind of does, but there are a few errors anyway:
DRAWSEGS overflow.
Another DRAWSEGS overflow.
This lift should be repeatable.
Berserk secret should be openable from inside. (it is openable from inside in Quake)

Oops, I was hoping that no one would notice the drawseg overflows heheh. Thanks by your bug finding.

TimeOfDeath said:

Nice remake, I liked it. It was super easy, but was fun to see how you reinterpreted the level. How did you build it? Did you look at the quake map in a quake map editor or just in-game?

I tried to use Worldcraft, but the top 2d view was a pain to use. So I just used the textures and flats in-game as references to the map's dimensions or improvised when the architecture got too complicated.

I like it! Good idea to use it as a replacement for E4M1, as the original is rather excessive for an opening level.

One nitpick, though: the secret ammo crate behind the Chaingun is located on a counter that is out of reach. Unless of course there is a way to lower it, but I have not found it.

I concur with the others: I would love to see a full remake of Dimension of the Doomed!

TimeOfDeath said:

Not sure I understand, but does Pedro's map not qualify?

I should've put an "else" in my sentence, probably.

Xaser said:

I should've put an "else" in my sentence, probably.

No problem, just making sure. :)
Here are some other Quake remakes (I'm definitely missing some, though):

castleof - QE1M2 remake
thehouse - QE1M7 remake
requiem - (map31) QE1M6 remake
e1m1 - QE1M1 unfinished remake
tom19 - (map07) QE3M4 remake
esp - (map02) QE1M2 remake - (map06) QE3M3 remake - (map28) QE1M3 remake