Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

Map Data/Info

I am trying to recover a old wad file that I found on my hdd. in the wad the map01 isn't there but instead the Things, Sectors, Sidedefs, SSectors, Secs, Reject, Secotrs, Verticles, and blockmap info are there.

is there a way to create the map01 lump with those?

Is it possible that you simply need to create a new wad entry named map01? I tried this:

1. Used Wintex 4.5, opened a simple zdoom map.
2. Selected the map01 entry.
3. Hit the delete key.
4. Exited, saving the result.
5. Opened again with Wintex to check, no map01 entry.
6. Tried to open the map in an editor. No dice.
7. Went back into Wintex, opened the wad.
8. Clicked on "things" in the wad list, which is usually right under map01.
9. Used Guru Only, new entry, map01.
10. Exited, saving the result.
11. Opened with an editor. It worked!
12. Opened again with Wintex. All appeared normal!

I hope it works for you.

So I guess the map01 entry is simply its name, or header. I thought it was more important too.

No Ichor, I looked into that by using Wintex to export the map01 lump to a file. Then, I looked at the file, saw it was named map01.wad. It was around 128 kB, clearly contained data, and I could actually read a bit of text in it when I opened it with Word. Wad editor would not open it.

When I deleted the map01 from the wad and later re-created it, it initially appeared to be empty, the map01 word sitting a bit to the right, just above "things". I mean that the new entry map01 initially appeared in the wad not all the way over to the left margin.
It did not appear to contain data when I clicked on it.

Exiting Wintex (automatic save) seems to cause Wintex to repair or reorder the wad. The map01 entry now contains data. Wow, nice.

Well, whatever it is, I'm sure not going to fool around with it. I usually do my editing in DCK.

Biffy said:

No Ichor, I looked into that by using Wintex to export the map01 lump to a file. Then, I looked at the file, saw it was named map01.wad. It was around 128 kB, clearly contained data, and I could actually read a bit of text in it when I opened it with Word. Wad editor would not open it.

When I deleted the map01 from the wad and later re-created it, it initially appeared to be empty, the map01 word sitting a bit to the right, just above "things". I mean that the new entry map01 initially appeared in the wad not all the way over to the left margin.
It did not appear to contain data when I clicked on it.

Exiting Wintex (automatic save) seems to cause Wintex to repair or reorder the wad. The map01 entry now contains data. Wow, nice.

the MAPxx header is of length 0 bytes, and contains no data. any length or data will be ignored.

What do you suppose is the data which Wintex exports when that header is selected? All of the sub entries (things, linedefs, sidedefs, etc.)? Maybe..it was over 100KB.

Biffy said:

What do you suppose is the data which Wintex exports when that header is selected? All of the sub entries (things, linedefs, sidedefs, etc.)? Maybe..it was over 100KB.

most likely, maybe wintex automatically assumes that you want to export the whole level (which is a good assumtion, since the original pieces alone arent worth anything)