Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revan1141

Doomguy's Total Kill Count

So for fun and curiousity, I decided to systematically go through every level of Doom 1 and 2 and tally up the total amount of monsters for each level(on Ultra Violet/Nightmare).

So, with that in mind, assuming that the games are played on Ultra Violent/Nightmare, and assuming the Doomguy killed every single monster in every level...

Game E Total
Doom1 E1: 926
Doom1 E2: 1319
Doom1 E3: 697
Doom1 E4: 1736

Doom1: 4678
Doom2: 3587

Total Monsters Killed: 8265

The Doomguy has killed the equivalent of 8 battalions worth of demons. Not to mention killing off its commanders and bosses.

NOTE: This list does not factor in Doom2's secret Map31-32.

You didn't actually count every monster, did you? I mean, it can't take more than five minutes to just idclev to each level, look at the HUD kill counter and add it all up.

Touchdown said:

You didn't actually count every monster, did you? I mean, it can't take more than five minutes to just idclev to each level, look at the HUD kill counter and add it all up.

I went through the Doom Wikia and looked in the thing-count and added all the numbers.

Huh, Doom 1 averages more monsters per level than Doom 2 does. That actually kind of surprises me.

I'm sure Final Doom "fixes" that. Kinda goes with the "harder, larger, meaner" trend set by Ultimate Doom (notice anything about E4?)

revan1141 said:

Total Monsters Killed: 8265

+ spawned lost souls
+ Boss Brain spawns
+ archvile resurrections
+ Nightmare re-spawns

- infighting fatalities

Cynical said:

Huh, Doom 1 averages more monsters per level than Doom 2 does. That actually kind of surprises me.

Doom1 didn't originally have E4, which accounts for over a third of the monsters in Ultimate Doom.

Cynical said:

Doom 1 is loaded with zombiemen, imps, shotgun guys and pinky demons which all go down pretty fast.

If you account for total HP, I'm sure Doom 2 will win by thousands of points.

I guess they tried to factor in the new, meatier monsters of Doom 2, and so tried to keep the numbers down. A more interesting comparison would be to calculate the actual HP damage that Doomguy caused. I'm sure it's higher in Doom 2 than all of Doom, even with E4 factored in. Just e.g. the Mancs and Arachnotrons in MAP07 have probably more HP than most PAIRS of Doom levels combined.

With Final Doom however, even that "sensitivity" went away :-)

revan1141 said:

Game E Total
Doom1 E1: 926
Doom1 E2: 1319
Doom1 E3: 697
Doom1 E4: 1736

I find it amazing that Episode 3 had the least amount of monsters compared to the other episodes. You'd think that hell would be more tougher, let alone have the most amount of monsters. WTF.

nxGangrel said:

I find it amazing that Episode 3 had the least amount of monsters compared to the other episodes. You'd think that hell would be more tougher, let alone have the most amount of monsters. WTF.

This surprised me as well. I'm guessing E3 replaced many of the smaller easy enemies with larger ones like Cacodemons, Lost Souls and Barons of Hell to account for the difference. Although it makes me realize why I prefer episodes 1 and 2 over 3. I prefer faster paced combat with more frequent simple kills. Interesting.

i've always wondered why he force of hell didn't just retreat back to hell. i mean, one guy took out entire battalions of demons...i would call back my armies, for sure!

roadworx said:

i've always wondered why he force of hell didn't just retreat back to hell. i mean, one guy took out entire battalions of demons...i would call back my armies, for sure!

They did retreat back to hell. That's the whole point of Episode 3 I thought? Doomguy journeys into hell itself and kills them all! Giant Spider Demon included! Bwahaha!

Well the Spider Demon was kind of a weird final boss now that I think about it. I mean it had a huge brain so I guess it suited the role of commander and the environment was tech based so it all matched nicely. But even still: I always thought the boss of hell would be like Satan or something. Not a giant robot spider with a humongous head O_o

RUSH said:

Well the Spider Demon was kind of a weird final boss now that I think about it. I mean it had a huge brain so I guess it suited the role of commander and the environment was tech based so it all matched nicely. But even still: I always thought the boss of hell would be like Satan or something. Not a giant robot spider with a humongous head O_o

satan was too much of a pussy to face doomguy, lol

8265 kills in the original 3 episodes, huh? That's cute, if I were the demon lord I would turn them all into Revenants.

Try playing Doom 2 with all monsters replaced with Revenants! (excluding scripted stuff) I'm sure it's impossible regardless of skill, there isn't enough ammo surely, maybe a speedrunner could do it.

Where is your Doomgod now?

VGA said:

Try playing Doom 2 with all monsters replaced with Revenants! (excluding scripted stuff) I'm sure it's impossible regardless of skill, there isn't enough ammo surely, maybe a speedrunner could do it.

I actually want to see this now....

VGA said:

8265 kills in the original 3 episodes, huh? That's cute, if I were the demon lord I would turn them all into Revenants.

Where is your Doomgod now?

Someone made an all revenants dehacked patch before right? I'm sure someone had to have done it at one point. Its a very trivial patch to make.

I bet I could do it. Not in any record time but a chainsaw and a berserk can get you through anything and in Doom 2 there is a lot.

All this time I thought Doom 2 had the highest enemy count (not a fan of plutonia, and barely play tnt).

Anyway,
I think the story of Doom 1 is like this:
E1- Hell thought it would be easy to conquer Phobos, so they sent a low amount.
E2- After the tragic disaster, Hell sent more demons and more powerful ones to conquer Deimos.
E3- Hell's rations of demons have depleted, so now they are fighting all they got survive, not conquer.
E4- Hell unleashes the emergency back up plan, which was better than the earlier plans.

Doom2- As a final backup, Hell attacks the homeworld with it's secret army that took eons to gather.

Well?

So, I checked the monster counts in Final DOOM, took <10min to do it:

Evilution: 4562 (w/secret_levels: 4880)
Plutonia: 2777 (3061)

Bonus:

Deus Vult II: 6932 (7423)

Again, I thought Plutonia would have more than TNT.

Edit the OP with that.

How about Doom 64?

I'm not surprised that TNT has way more than Plutonia, but wow if Doom 1 still has them beat, well, aside from the secret level mobs.

roadworx said:

satan was too much of a pussy to face doomguy, lol

He probably watched from a distance like it was T.V or something.

Fonze said:

I'm not surprised that TNT has way more than Plutonia, but wow if Doom 1 still has them beat, well, aside from the secret level mobs.

To be fair, Ultimate Doom has a whooping 36 levels, including the secret ones (and they were, in above count). So Ultimate Doom comes quite close to 130 monsters/level on average (actually 4678/36= 129.9444..), while TNT has 152 monsters/level, without counting the secret ones.

"Classic Doom" aka only E1, E2 and E3 would be 109 monsters/level on average, disregarding the obvious imbalance between episodes.

E4 however is the freak misfit, with nealy 193 monsters/level O_o

Doom II, without the secret levels, would be be a nearly exact 120 monsters per level, which makes one wonder if there were set goals...

Voros said:

How about Doom 64?

That depends. You can check the killcount on Automap in TC but I believe D64 spawns enemies during levels so you can't just look at the counter to see the 'real' amount, you have to actually play each map (AND pay attention to Souls spawned by Pain Elementals). Also, I don't know what are the differences between the TC and the original D64 in terms of enemy numbers. ALSO, you have to keep in mind some levels in the TC did not appear in the original. I know I'm not gonna do it. :)

Touchdown said:

So, I checked the monster counts in Final DOOM, took <10min to do it:

Evilution: 4562 (w/secret_levels: 4880)
Plutonia: 2777 (3061)

Bonus:

Deus Vult II: 6932 (7423)

7,339 for Final Doom... So that means overall the Doomguy has killed 15,604 demons, which bottoms out to:

2 brigades or 12 battalions

I wonder if that's all Hells armies had.

Voros said:

All this time I thought Doom 2 had the highest enemy count (not a fan of plutonia, and barely play tnt).

Anyway,
I think the story of Doom 1 is like this:
E1- Hell thought it would be easy to conquer Phobos, so they sent a low amount.
E2- After the tragic disaster, Hell sent more demons and more powerful ones to conquer Deimos.
E3- Hell's rations of demons have depleted, so now they are fighting all they got survive, not conquer.
E4- Hell unleashes the emergency back up plan, which was better than the earlier plans.

Doom2- As a final backup, Hell attacks the homeworld with it's secret army that took eons to gather.

Well?

I always took it more like the invasion was newly launched and they invaded Deimos first. So their main invasion force is there. They sent some recon forces out to Phobos, with a few Barons in charge, but hadn't advanced there yet. They left a reserve force in hell.

Touchdown said:

Doom 64 TC stuff

Play the EX it's virtually identical to the real game.