Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Best and worst custom monster sprites.

Thread inspired by the big picture in this thread. The R667 bestiary is also a good reference for images.

The problem with most custom sprites is they look tacky as hell -- like, tackier than the tackiest tack ever tacked. I think the cyber mastermind and arachnobaron pictured in the first link are the pinnacle of silly. At the very least, the segway zombie was designed for laughs. Scrolling through the R667 bestiary brought this walking television chaingunner (LOL) to my attention, however. Assuming that's meant for laughs too, though.

My favorite, in no particular order, are:

1) The afrit. Fits in extremely well with the Doom bestiary, being a baron variant with a sleek-looking color mod, not the chintzy coat of paint (e.g.) on basically all of those cacodemon variants out there. The only weakness is the unimpressive death animation. It doesn't leave a corpse, nor does it go out of existence in a wonderfully thunderous fart like the <3 pain elemental <3.

2) The diabolist. Starting to see a trend here! Similar to the afrit, with a death animation iirc. Overall a great sprite set.

3) The plasma elemental. Arguably the best "simple recolor." It's a pain elemental, but it's green. Big deal, right? Well, fuck, man, that green looks GREAT on it. Downside is that it looks too adorable to kill -- a la dogs -- but have it hurl some damaging shit at me and I'll get over that, quickly.

4) The daedebus. Another strong retrofit of an existing monster. If the mancubus is kind of like someone's goofy older brother who plays on the offensive line and is clumsy and occasionally has jokes made at his expense (no idea where I'm going with this), the daedebus also has a beard and is a member of the local biker gang and will bash your skull in if you fuck with him. In short, it's the manc, but minus the overt silly: almost pure badass.

5) The arachnorb. The first time I saw the arachnorb in Valiant it was the coolest thing ever, sort of like a mini-epiphany. It was so obvious in retrospect that you could remove the 'tron from its chassis and have it set flight on its own, but I hadn't thought of it before! I just about came when I saw it spawn from an arachnotron.

Honorable mentions to Valiant's imp, the cybruiser, and some of those beefy zombies (the SSG- and BFG-wielders in particular).

Anyway, your favorites, your least favorites?

i always thought that one red imp-lookin monster that occasionally pops up looks cool.
it's not on the pic, though

tbh most realm667 monsters look cool

To me, almost none of them looks tacky or bad when stationary, however some of them have terribly underdone animations, like this Rifle Commando guy.

By the way, as I've just demonstrated, you can link to individual entries in the repository if you want to, not an entire page.

I liked the one in Time of Sorrow which was basically an archvile with a baron head. The combo worked really well.

For the sprites, not necessarily the behavior, I like the Bruiser Demon, Forgoten One, Hellion, Vulgar, Terminator, Fallen, Grell, Nightmare, Ethereal Soul, Satyr, Wicked, Wraith.

I also like the chaingun spider because to me it looks like it's wearing sunglasses, which gives it a douchey dudebro attitude that is perfect for a hitscanner enemy.

The baby cacodemon is adorable.

I love the Segway Zombie, and I believe it should be made illegal to make Doom maps without Segway Zombies in them.

I dislike all the monsters that are edits of Blood or Duke Nukem 3D enemies; I feel like they really don't fit at all in Doom.

Gez said:

I dislike all the monsters that are edits of Blood or Duke Nukem 3D enemies; I feel like they really don't fit at all in Doom.

This.

I always thought the Realm 667 beastiary was generally overused and full of goofy and overpowered recolors/frankensprites.

Which is what inspired me to make this abomination from it.

Jaxxoon R said:

I always thought the Realm 667 beastiary was generally overused and full of goofy and overpowered recolors/frankensprites.

I don't agree with some of the monsters' properties, some being way stronger or more dangerous than they appear to be, but that's what editing them in SLADE is for.

To me Deep One, that one has a very funny appeal, Flesh Wizard, deadly, you don't know when he might appear, making him a suitable monster for stealth, the Wicked, pays homage to Quake and is a formidable foe.
And also that Death Incarnate, an interesting monster.

There's just too many to make a comprehensive list. Generally, everything made by Eriance is fantastic (so every custom monster in Demon Eclipse). Every custom monster that appears in Unloved. Ifrit is awesome. An upgraded Pinky from Valiant.

I like the Hecabus, Chaingun Major and The Wicked. I've used those in an unreleased map.

The Wicked is really well done. I wish there were a few more Quake 1 style monsters for use in Doom maps... fiend, ogre, death knight, vore and shambler for starters. ;) Gremlins to steal your BFG.. haha.

Doom Dude said:

I wish there were a few more Quake 1 style monsters for use in Doom maps... fiend, ogre, death knight, vore and shambler for starters.

Vore is here. I have no idea why he isn't listed among the normal bestiary or why he doesn't have a preview, but the download link works. Maybe he's not supposed to be publicly available. He was used in Tormentor667's The Refinery anyway, so it's not like I was leaking it.

Also, Death Knight is here.

scifista42 said:

Vore is here. I have no idea why he isn't listed among the normal bestiary or why he doesn't have a preview, but the download link works. Maybe he's not supposed to be publicly available. He was used in Tormentor667's The Refinery anyway, so it's not like I was leaking it.

ok, so i've been playing quake. i just looked up what the vore looks like.
jesus christ i am not ready for this.

Jaxxoon R said:

http://i.imgur.com/IKHvszG.png

You should submit it as a sincere entry and see what happens.

Jaxxoon R said:

i wonder what its attacks would be like

Jaxxoon R said:

http://i.imgur.com/IKHvszG.png

These one actually pretty cool.

scifista42 said:

Summoning a Sharknado.

FUCK, NO. PLEASE. NO MORE SHARKNADO. WE HAVE TERRY ALREADY.

scifista42 said:

Ohhh very good. Will have to check those out.... got em downloaded.

Making custom monsters look tacky is too easy, if you're me that is. My sprite art isn't that good, but I tried. Iv'e attempted edits and original monsters. None of mine are up there as far as I know though.

As for those that are, I don't really remember any. I've played maps and mods with them in but I have a terrible memory for custom content.

I thought the majority of Skulltag enemy and weapon sprites were quite well done, thought some of the skins were downright laughable.