Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xenoxols

Castlevania Doom [WIP]

It looks pretty badass...in theory. I would definitely reinterpret the original levels as Doom architecture rather than long, boring hallways. You could do some really cool things then.

I think the idea sounds really exciting but I definitely have to say that a first person game would not complement the 2D sidescrolling level designs well at all. I haven't played some of the other titles but I think Lament of Innocence was a 3D third person game and would probably have more inspiring level designs to port over to Doom.

Going to echo Impie and 40, but those assets and color choices are pretty darn good. I hope you keep a similar look while expanding on those level designs!

Even if you wanted to retain some resemblance to Castlevania in terms of level design or enemy placement or progression, I recommend to at least include as much as possible left/right/backward turns, steep up/down height changes, and otherwise interesting structural obstacles in the player's path, because literal linearity would bore players to death.

Nice concept, although I agree with the other's opinion. You don't need to design a level in linear way(literally) even if you want to recreate the good-old 2D side scroller. Personally, I suggest you to take a look at Hocusdoom. This one is still work in progress, but it shows the fantastic example of converting classic side scroller to Doom modification.

Heh, thanks guys. Yeah, it's not going to be a straight line, there will be many twists and turns. For some reason GZDoomBuilder isn't letting me use 3d floors anymore so I'll have to sort that out.

xenoxols said:

For some reason GZDoomBuilder isn't letting me use 3d floors anymore so I'll have to sort that out.

Maybe you're accidentally making your newest map with editor's Game Configuration that doesn't let you use them (for the sake of maintaining compatibility with ports that don't support 3D floors, that's what Game Configurations are for). Which Game Configuration do you use in your map editor?

It's in Hereic UDMF. It's really weird because I actually had 3d floors in the map and now I can't make any. I'v tried making the green box(whatever it's called) bigger, but nope.

This looks like a really cool TC even if it isn't faithful at all - it just needs good platforming and combat dynamics. And puzzles. Can't wait to play a finished product!

xenoxols said:

It's in Hereic UDMF. It's really weird because I actually had 3d floors in the map and now I can't make any. I'v tried making the green box(whatever it's called) bigger, but nope.

Maybe briefly switch to "Doom in UDMF", make the 3D floor in that, and switch back to "Heretic in UDMF"? The linedef special and parameters shouldn't change between the two, surely.

So... I google searched, "doomworld castlevania" and all I got to say is, "dammit."

Wait... I guess I have a little bit more to say. The reason why I say, "dammit" is because I also had the brilliant idea to reinterpret Castlevania in Doom.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1585832

Need any help? You still working on it? I'll change the theme of mine. Sorry. Didn't mean to step on any feet.