Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

A dobu version of a Suitepee map

So resident streamer John Suitepee has been learning how to map, and I decided to copy and tweak his layout during the stream today. I intend for it to be somewhat educational, illustrating how to make an entertaining map even with such a rudimentary layout. I tried to stick closely to his original thing placement and abstained from using complicated triggers.

Download Carnivorous Appetite. Boom compat, UV-only, MIDI by Doomkid, expect dickishness.

Encounters were enjoyable, until the spider/PE one where I got trolled out of 80% health/armor (spider) because I got caught on a blocking decoration, and died soon afterwards. That's just total horseshit.

There were blocking decorations in the second set piece too, but they managed not to matter. I'll just never consider in-field blocking decorations a good way of creating a challenge. It's irritating to the max. At the very least they should be elevated on small pillars (25+ or 32+ height).

rdwpa said:

Encounters were enjoyable, until the spider/PE one where I got trolled out of 80% health/armor (spider) because I got caught on a blocking decoration, and died soon afterwards. That's just total horseshit.

What decoration was it? One of the impaled humans near the redrock? I didn't test it thoroughly so I don't know how easily it is to get stuck

FDA, couldn't resist I guess.

The crusher trap at the start needs another monster to teleport into the player start point at the chaingun-get. I really wanted to find a way to say "clearly revenants are required for X!", but what's there works fine. (skellies in the red hills at the end instead of imps, though, just sayin' ;) )

I really don't like that strawberry icecream sky, for some reason. Probably just the Hell setting and the red-on-pink thing it has going on, bet it'd look better against a grey industrial cityscape or the like.

Not bad. Pretty straightforward and kinda tough on the first time in each encounter.

FDA, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, -cl 9

If people thought Romero's map was difficult then they should play this. Small space and deadly ambushes. As per warned, dickish moves. I hate that stuff.

But it looked pretty great! The map was small but very high in detail with some quality techniques.