Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Games you miss

These are games that can either no longer be obtained legally or are on services you refuse to make an account on to acquire (or just plain not sold anywhere anymore). I know you could get them illegally but that's beside the point. You also may not even have the hardware available to play them as well.

E: Could also be services that are dead, effectively killing the game completely if it relied on online-anything.

Games that I really miss playing:

Diablo 1-2 - I realize that Torchlight is probably a better game, and I've been having a lot of fun with the first one (haven't gotten around to its sequel yet, which I've heard is a massive, massive improvement much like Diablo II was to the original Diablo) but there's just nothing like good ol' Diablo. It's fairly antiquated nowadays in the gameplay and design department sure, but I prefer the universe, the characters, the storyline, the atmosphere, the setting, the monsters, pretty much everything else to Torchlight's. Torchlight is still the next best thing there is to Diablo though and it's been scratching the Diablo itch. Just wish Blizzard weren't cunts, cause I'd love to have these games available on GOG, along with Warcraft 1-3. There's also the amazing The Hell mod for Diablo: Hellfire, which I wish was standalone.

Wolfenstein '09 - Right OK I didn't have a chance to try this game out before, but it's NOT available anymore at all and that really sucks cause I'd really like to play it. Thankfully I have Prey on my BF's Steam account to make up for this loss (another awesome game you can't get anywhere anymore) but still. Wish it'd become available again somehow.

Silent Hill 1-4 - These ones really hurt because it's one of my all-time favorite game series. The first is trapped on consoles while 2-4 are PC ports of questionable quality and very difficult to acquire (still a million miles ahead of that dreaded 'HD' 'collection' port though) nowadays. I just need to get a PS2 again or something, since I sold mine back in 2012 during hard times.

The Suffering - This one might just suck the hardest, because I'm sure it has no chance in hell of being revived legally and it's one of my favorite games for sure. A perfect blend of action and horror with really cool monster designs and a lot of gory violence. An underrated game for sure.

Soldier of Fortune - Ah yes, it can always be worse I suppose, because once again this title's in limbo, but it might see the light of day again on GOG/Steam or something if they can just get a hold of John Mullins and the magazine and sort out the rights issues then we'd have this fun game available again.

Honorable mentions: Hexen II's Portal of Praevus mission pack, because Activision, and Run Like Hell for PS2/XBOX, another underrated game that I enjoyed immensely and wish was on PC.

I would of added Turok to this list but thank the heavens for small favors we got people like Kaiser and Night Dive to make things right. :D

The only game I have played that I miss is Darkstone. I used to play Darkstone when I was smaller, though when I tried to play it a couple years back the game was too fast and the graphics would "blink". Now I lost the CD.

Not exactly games, but I miss hanging out in the chat rooms of server browser utilities like GameSpy Arcade and Mplayer. Steam groups don't feel the same at all.

But since I brought it up, some guys are trying to bring Mplayer back.

While you can't get it digitally that Diablo 1 and 2 pack has been on every video game store shelf since the eairly '00s. I don't think it's time to mourn it just yet.

For an actual answer:

SWAT 4 - Tactical sim for people who think they don't like Tactical sims. Made by Irrational Studios when they where still mostly Looking Glass Studios v2.0.

So much what you said about Silent Hill. No idea what they were thinking with the last few games, it would have better to have called it a day with the series instead of the piles of complete shit that they kept coming out with. They just need to stop thinking constantly about money and get a decent writer and director for another game before they can get taken seriously again.

I miss Warriors of Might and Magic by 3DO on PS2, it was quite a game, it had lots of weapons, monsters, a lot of secrets that really come in handy, amazing spells with nice sounds to them, a lot of variety, side-quests as well, it's such a underrated gem, i do have the game though, but it probably dosen't work anymore, netherless, i can say i did enjoy it a lot, sadly it's a shame it never got a PC port, but damn, i really miss it.

Another one i miss is Spider-Man 2 on PS2, that was such a great game, it was the first game to introduce me to open-world, i was like 7 years old when i played it and managed to get to the final, but still couldn't beat it, but still, it's the best 3D
Spider-Man game there is, no other Spider-Man game has acomplished what this game did and new Spider-Man games need to take notes from this game.

Turist Trophy PS2, now that's what i call a great motorcycle game, the sounds were great, the bikes handled pretty well and it was a great game, too bad PD dosen't want to continue this series, because it has a lot of potencial.

Juiced, a mix between Gran Turismo's gameplay with arcadey elements, with inspiration from street racing and the Fast'n'Furious movies, this game had realistic engine sounds that sound almost like their real life counter parts, plus it was a lot of fun.

Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix, another gem, arcade racing at it's finest, lots of customization, cars and stuff, plus you had these so called special abilities, such as the "zone", a form of bullet time that allows to control your car at higher speeds,
the "agro", slam through obstacles and traffic without slowing down or taking damage and the "roar", send a shockwave that sends traffic flying away and blows opponents away.

These are pretty much those i miss.

Captain Red said:

While you can't get it digitally that Diablo 1 and 2 pack has been on every video game store shelf since the eairly '00s. I don't think it's time to mourn it just yet.

I don't have a CD drive, but I guess that's my loss, physical limitations and all.

Cyanosis said:

and I've been having a lot of fun with the first one (haven't gotten around to its sequel yet, which I've heard is a massive, massive improvement

Torchlight 2 is 'better' than the original I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a massive improvement. It does nothing new or novel that the original did not have, or any arpg for that matter.

I've always been pretty good at keeping track of the games I buy, such as I still have the original discs for Diablo 1/2 & Hellfire, Soldier of Fortune 1/2, Silent Hill 1-4, and most of the others. Well, I still have all my PC games as far as I know, since it's hard to find a pawn shop that takes PC games.

The only one I can really think of is Time Splitters: Future Perfect for Gamecube. Unfortunately I pawned it maybe 6 or 7 years ago because I was poor and needed a couple of bucks for gas to get me through til payday. I think I maybe got $4-5 for it. Now used copies are $40+ on Amazon. Although now I wouldn't even consider selling it anyway. I really miss that game, some of the best console multi-player I've ever played.

Oh well, live and learn.

Halo 3, ODST, Reach, 4 and 5 for being stuck on Xbox consoles.

J.B.R said:

Juiced, a mix between Gran Turismo's gameplay with arcadey elements, with inspiration from street racing and Fast'n'Furious movies, this game had realistic engine sounds that sound almost like their real life counter parts, plus it was a lot of fun.

These are pretty much those i miss.

Ugh, I hate that one, even though I have the CD in my drawer. I like Street Racing Syndicate better (better than NFSU2).

I miss playing Quake 3 Arena. It was so fun playing against all these bots...

Captain Red said:

Are you sure about this? Being unable to acquire d1 and d2 digitally? Blizz almost certainly has to have the option to purchase through bnet. If you have a legit cd key you can add that to your account and download their games. I have done this with diablo 2, warcraft 3 and starcraft and all the expansions...but only because I had actual cds and cd keys. Surely you can buy them on bnet and download them, no?

I honestly do not know because I added all my cd keys to my account years ago when they first offered it.

edit: yep https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction

Diablo 1 does seem to be absent however.

Probably some of the James Bond games from the Gamecube/XBOX/PS2 console generation, as far as I know some of them used the ID Tech 3 engine and they might've made good PC games with map editing support like most of the other ID Tech 3 engine games available for PC.

Captain Red said:

That's strange. When I picked up Battle Chest a few months ago, Diablo I wasn't in it.

^^I was just in EB games and I was sure that it was included in that package last time I cared to look. I guess I'll have to remember to take another look.

Quast said:

Are you sure about this? Being unable to acquire d1 and d2 digitally?

Well no actually :/. I just assumed if the OP was missing it that it wasn't.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed PSP/PS2 version: That game is probably the best Star Wars game behind the three Battlefront games (yes, I do quite enjoy the new one). Great story, great gameplay if you were playing the PS2/PSP versions and it managed to take the Star Wars universe and make it it's own. It's a darker look at the universe and it's very interesting. Still fucking pissed that it was de-canoned, Rebels is a good show but the way the Rebellion started in The Force Unleashed was far superior.

Harry Potter 1 (PS1), Harry Potter 2 (PS2), Harry Potter 3 (PS2), Harry Potter 5 (PS2): These are all amazing semi-open world games. The first one was very linear and looking back on it the game really doesn't compare to the PS2 games but there's something about it that makes me really enjoy it. The sound effects, the secrets and the levels are pretty great (except for that fucking Gringotts Bank level...) Harry Potter 2 was also on the PS1 but I never got a chance to play that version, I played the PS2 version and enjoyed it quite a bit. Gone was the linear progression and was instead replaced by a pretty massive (for the time) open world. As opposed to the last game where you attended classes to unlock spells (which there were only maybe 5 of in total) here you unlock spells at the end of most levels by finding enchanted books. There were tons of spells and each had a different purpose in the world; you could go back to areas you visited previously and unlock a new secret area by using a new spell you acquired. Also holy shit when you unlock the broomstick and fly around the outside of Hogwarts that was fucking amazing. Harry Potter 3 was kinda a step down but it's still an enjoyable game nonetheless. There were less spells here but now you could control the 3 different characters instead of just Harry. The game reeked of atmosphere (especially for a Harry potter game) and at times I guess you could call it scary. There were some nice platforming levels and the duels were better than ever. Harry Potter 5 was in my eyes the last good Harry Potter game and it's essentially the 3rd game but with a more open world and tons of interactable objects. There were hundreds of secrets hidden all around Hogwarts and I think this game nailed the look and feel of Hogwarts the best. I felt like I was in the movie; and that's quite an accomplishment for a PS2 game.

Tekken 2 and 3: The high point of the series (except maybe Tekken 5..) No other games in the series have given me such great joy in gameplay and made me rock my head to the awesome music whether it be Kazuya's theme or Jin's theme. Great games.

In my own opinion I would hardly consider any of the two TFU games as among the best Star Wars games, there were already so many better Star Wars games such as the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series, Empire at War, the Battlefront series, the Rogue Squadron series, and the Knights of the Old Republic series.

All TFU really has over them is the graphics but that's not enough to make them great Star Wars games, besides the second TFU game was pretty bad compared to the first for a number of reasons.

Avoozl said:

In my own opinion I would hardly consider any of the two TFU games as among the best Star Wars games, there were already so many better Star Wars games such as the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series, Empire at War, the Battlefront series, the Rogue Squadron series, and the Knights of the Old Republic series.

All TFU really has over them is the graphics but that's not enough to make them great Star Wars games, besides the second TFU game was pretty bad compared to the first for a number of reasons.

I can understand where you're coming from if you played the Xbox 360/PS3/PC version of the first game but I want to stress that the PSP and PS2 versions are FARR superior in every aspect except graphics. The PS2 and PSP versions aren't boring God Of War clones.

Everyone praises the Jedi Knight games but I couldn't get into them. I bought the Jedi Knight collection and beat Dark Forces. Fun little Doom clone. Then I played Jedi Knight and it was decent I suppose, didn't finish it though. Got stuck on the level where I had to follow IG-88 through those vents. Tried a bit of Jedi Academy and still couldn't get into. Lightsaber combat feels clunky as fuck.

HavoX said:

I miss playing Quake 3 Arena. It was so fun playing against all these bots...

That's on GOG actually, of which I recently beat on Hardcore (until I got to Xaero anyway).

Basically any PC game that came in those enormous, impractical cardboard boxes. I know there's a second hand market for such artifacts of nostalgia, but there was just something special about seeing those things on the shelf at my local gaming store. Also, any game that was sold with an actual manual, not a leaflet.

This is coming from a guy who happily buys his games on Steam/GOG/other, btw. I get it.

A few pinball games I used to play:

Pinbot
High Speed
Black Knight
Space Invaders (yes, there was a pinball game)
Xenon