Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucaH97

Doom on Super-Widescreen setup

I guess alot of people would say I should have seen it coming...
Games and their engines are often not very optimised to run on 3 monitors. Expecting Doom and its often shoehorned sourceports to just work wasn't a safe bet.

But to put it into clear terms:
I have a 3 Monitor Gaming setup and I'd like to play doom across all of them in fullscreen.

-(G)ZDoom just stretches the 16:9
-Doomsday only allows for a fov of 179 meaning it's constantly in a 90's fps sniping mode. Aka unplayable.
-Risen 3D stretches the menus weirdly but gets the fov right ... but its littered with rendering bugs causing a constant hall of mirrors effect on screen (as soon as the geometry is more than about 2 meters from the camera)

Is it just not meant to be? Do any of you have experience with this?
Is there a more obscure source port that will do the job?

°_________________________________________________°
| |
|Info on my setup |
| |
|-Res: 7040x1080 (2x 21:9 LG | 1x 16:9 AOC) |
|-CPU: AMD FX-8120 |
|-GPU: AMD R9 290x (Saphire TRi-X OC 5GB GDDR5) |
|-RAM: 16GB DDR3 |
|-OS: Win 10 (64x) |
|_________________________________________________|
° °

Linguica said:

Sounds like you want http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Three_screen_mode . I don't know which "modern" source ports maintain that feature though.

Uhm... well running 3 doom clients seems a little exessive... I mean a modern engine utulising opengl should be able to stretch the rendering space without problems. What is wrong with all these source ports? Is it that the internal doom rendering engine (which the modern renderer has to interface with somehow) doesn't provide enough data for that wide of a screen?

I'm really lost... anybody else?

You're not being clear at what you want exactly. You want a 7040x1080 view window? Because that is going to be insane in any normal Doom port.

What's the FOV of the screenshot? My guess is 179. No wonder about heavy distortion at the sides if so.

Ah yes Ling beat me to it.

PrBoom-Plus supports arbitrary aspect ratios based on your resolution. I used to play 5760x1080 but.. I've found the extra screens are so distorted and distracting that I don't bother anymore.

Linguica said:

Actually I just checked the latest version of prboom-plus and you're in luck!!

http://i.imgur.com/xBCK10B.jpg

looks good to me!!

Wow thank you! I've only been playing doom since about 4 years on and off so I'm not familiar with all the sourceports. Working real well :)