Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

all systems SNAFU

a beatiful thing happened here in NYC. apparently one of the computers controlling traffic systems failed and the city was fucked in some parts. you had situations where people would be waiting 10-15 minutes for a light to turn green, only to have it go to yellow, then red in five seconds. thats if the light changed at all.

now your wondering whats the point of me relaying this news to you. well first off, there are way to many idiot drivers here in NY. secondly, we are so dependant on technology that when it fails, and fail it must sometimes, we lose our minds. we become lost. I saw people waiting at lights, while the smart ones took initiative and ran the reds slowly and responsibly. meanwhile the the waiters sat slack-jawed like a deer in headlights. some people need to wake up.

end of rant.

VileSlay said:

secondly, we are so dependant on technology that when it fails, and fail it must sometimes, we lose our minds. we become lost.

Amen, brother.

Boy, imagine what that would be like. And I thought it got crazy enough when people couldn't use their credit cards at my store...

As much as I like computers and such, I'm proud to say I'm back woods enough to survive without technology. Really, you can't always depend on it because it's faulty, which is the fault of the designers. The one thing that never fails (unless Humans messing it up) is the natural world. Strange isn't it? We get bitch-slapped by our own devices.

yeah last year atm machines went out in the city. people had to *gasp* fill out deposit slips and *shudder* talk to a real person to get their money. I bet most of them didn't even know their account numbers.

VileSlay said:

yeah last year atm machines went out in the city. people had to *gasp* fill out deposit slips and *shudder* talk to a real person to get their money. I bet most of them didn't even know their account numbers.

This reminds me of something from a year ago. Some guy came through my checkout line with a dinky little purchase and a debit card, and he wanted some obscene amount of cash back. (Say $200.00 change from a $1.06 purchase.) I told him I didn't have that kind of free cash in my till to give him, and pointed him to the ATM by the in-store bank (the same bank that issued his card, btw). He said he didn't like the ATM and would rather get it from me.

So I'm ranked below and impersonal, soulless machine designed to replace a live teller. That kind of thought just brightens up the day, doesn't it? :P

until you have experienced the hell that is driving through boston, you don't truly know what bad driving is. it's not that people in boston are jackasses, (like new yorkers) it's that when you put thousand's of people on the road trying to get home all at one time AND add the worst driving conditions (the big dig) in any city anywhere, you get hell. plain and simple. :(

fodders said:

Perhaps he just wanted to see your ass as you bent to get the money.

Lol fodders.

fodders said:

Perhaps he just wanted to see your ass as you bent to get the money.

How would he see my ass behind a 1.5-meter checkstand when I'd be facing him the whole time? Anyway...

all systems SNAFU

<nitpick>"Snafu" is a VERB. A better way to say it is "all systems FUBAR".</nitpick> :)

P.S. New York drivers are morons.

IMJack said:

How would he see my ass behind a 1.5-meter checkstand when I'd be facing him the whole time? Anyway...

Mirrors

gatewatcher said:

it's not that people in boston are jackasses, (like new yorkers)

HEY! Watch it!

Anyway, I fear that over the years I have become quite dependant on machines, especially the internet.
It's because of the little things, like finding directions.

Well if you fuckers had just stayed in your caves wearing sheepskin thongs and eating yak dung your problems would be solved.

My mom once got held up at gunpoint when she was a teller at a bank. The man who robbed her was african-american (to be PC), as was the other woman working at the bank that day. When they were being questioned by the police, they ran them through a bunch of suspect's mug shots, and her co-worker said "I dunno, we all look the same to me". Heh...classic, but it really happened.